I Just Booked a Trip to Tokyo!

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

I Just Booked a Trip to Tokyo!

Post by horizons1 » Oct Mon 17, 2022 10:19 am

Booked flights for Tokyo in April 2023. This will be my second time there, but first time was for work and didn't do much outside of TDL. Will be my wife's first trip there. Amy, I believe you've been. Any suggestions on other cool things to see/do (besides the parks of course)?

Right now, the plan is to land on Friday, 4/14 but then possibly transit onto a flight to Seoul. Spend a couple days there (first time), then fly back to Kyoto and see that. Then bullet train town to Tokyo for the rest of the trip. We fly home Tuesday 4/25. I'd like to do TDL and TDS on weekdays to avoid crowds, so that means likely 4/19-21 or 4/20-21 and 4/24. Something like that. Right now there are no multi-day passes so it's really a toss-up as to what will be offered by then.

And, of course, something could happen to torpedo this trip like Covid did to my South Pacific Sampler trip I had planned for May 2019. We could delay until Fantasy Springs opens but that's a big unknown, so figure a bird in the hand... Fingers crossed though.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: I Just Booked a Trip to Tokyo!

Post by Amy » Oct Wed 19, 2022 7:11 am

That's awesome horizons1 ~ sounds like you have a great plan in place. I went back in 2003 so it's been a really long time since I was there. I think it's kind of like here where the parks are busy all the time now. You might have a little less in the way of crowds on a weekday though.

I unfortunately didn't do a lot outside of the parks myself as I didn't have a lot of time in Japan. I met up with friends from college one night for dinner, and spent a day with one of them and we saw a few temples and points of interest in Tokyo. She told me to be sure I saw Shibuya crossing, which was indeed pretty crazy, and the Mitsukoshi department store which was so many levels and had ALL of the things! :lol:

Hopefully nothing crazy ends up happening with this trip for y'all. I'll be looking forward to hearing all about it, and the side trip to Seoul. One of my piano families is from Korea and I'm drooling listening to their upcoming plans to visit there. Their first trip as a family was cancelled due to covid too, so the kids are really excited.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Thu 20, 2022 9:17 am

I just found a blogger that did a food tour of TDL and right in the first few minutes he mentioned that Tu - Th is the least crowded at the parks, so you are spot on in your thinking of going during the week!

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Oct Fri 21, 2022 10:11 am

Thanks Amy. I have been following TDR Explorer's YouTube posts and his website. He said Monday gets spillover from the weekends and so I am hoping mid-week part-way between Easter and Golden Week is going to be the best weather and smallest crowd. Also, I believe TDR is kicking off their 40th anniversary celebration at the beginning of April so there might be a new parade or some special stuff for that.

I did Shibuya crossing last time I was there and will take my wife there. Plus the dog statue is right outside that station. Good tip on the department store, that sounds interesting.

Last time I stayed at the Sheraton on the monorail loop and really liked it. The price was better than the Disney hotels and it was convenient. They advertise a bus to the main train station so we can connect to the rest of Tokyo, so now I am just debating whether that is a good base of operations for our non-Disney days or if we should consider a different hotel for that.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sat 22, 2022 3:16 pm

yeah, unfortunately I will be of no help to you there. I was at TDL/Sea for 2 nights, and stayed at the Ambassador Hotel, maybe, I'd really have to look to see. Then I stayed at a hotel in Tokyo with my friend for another night or two. She works for a big hotel brand there, can't think of that at the moment either, ugh I'm getting old! So she was able to get us a really cheap room.
But yes, even though travel is super efficient there, you should really look at what you plan to do and stay closer for that if you can. It will save you time and possibly money on the train tickets too.
I'm sure, much like the hotels at the Disney parks here in the US, the prices of the good neighbor hotels are so much more affordable than the actual hotel parks. I likely would stay off property if I were ever lucky enough to go again.