December 2017 at WDW

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

I am Sulley
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

December 2017 at WDW

Post by I am Sulley » Apr Mon 10, 2017 3:28 pm

Ok, so as you know we've been a couple of times before, however this trip is slightly different - it's just the two of us!! No girls with us. They are now 27 and 23 so as one of them said "we can go anytime" Ha just try saving the money and bringing children up I thought :)
We have picked early December because we want to see WDW dressed for Christmas, hopefully avoid the big crowds as Christmas approaches and yet not be there too early that it doesn't feel like Christmas yet. We had a little bit more money so have chosen The Yacht Club from 5th December for 10 days. I liked the idea of being within walking distance of the bars etc at Boardwalks and Epcot is my favourite park so this seemed an ideal choice for us. The rides are not massively important to us (done them) but will pick a few of our favourites along with the new ones like Mine Train. We thought we might see a few of the shows we haven't done too.

So the big question is what do we do to see and experience a WDW Christmas?
Obviously things like The Gingerbread House at Grand Floridian and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party are on the list, but I am open to any ideas and suggestions you may have as I begin to plan my schedule and make my bookings in June.
Last edited by I am Sulley on Jun Wed 28, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: December 2017 at WDW

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 10, 2017 7:34 pm

We always loved going during the time you have chosen. The weather is beautiful, but the crowds are a bit higher than they used to be at that time of year. Certainly not as bad as they are during the high seasons though.
I'm sort of at a loss as to what to recommend. Our big lure during the Christmas holidays was always the Osborne Lights and those aren't there anymore :( The Very Merry Christmas Party will be a good one I would think. Other than that, it is just the decorations and holiday music that is so special for me :D

Alacrity
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Alacrity » Apr Tue 11, 2017 9:29 am

One of our favorite times of year to go! The decorations will be up and, as Amy said, the crowds, not so bad. The Very Merry Christmas Party is good and you might also take some time to tour the other resorts and take in the decorating there. Each resort has some sort of display; Yacht and Beach Club has the chocolate carousel, and Grand Flo the Gingerbread House (have some gingerbread and hot chocolate!) and the others, while not as grand, are still pretty to see. There are also some holiday tours you might find interesting, Holiday D-Lights and Yuletide Fantasy. My wife and I have done the Yuletide Fantasy tour, not a too expensive one and it was interesting to see! Epcot will also have special events and Christmas stories at each pavilion. We like to stop and listen, especially at France and Norway. And there is always the Candlelight Processional. The dinner package and reserved seating make it stress free.

Here are a couple links to those tours and some holiday info (not updated for 2017 yet)...
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/event ... -d-lights/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/event ... e-fantasy/

http://allears.net/tp/holiday.htm

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Tue 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Alacrity wrote:One of our favorite times of year to go! The decorations will be up and, as Amy said, the crowds, not so bad. The Very Merry Christmas Party is good and you might also take some time to tour the other resorts and take in the decorating there. Each resort has some sort of display; Yacht and Beach Club has the chocolate carousel, and Grand Flo the Gingerbread House (have some gingerbread and hot chocolate!) and the others, while not as grand, are still pretty to see. There are also some holiday tours you might find interesting, Holiday D-Lights and Yuletide Fantasy. My wife and I have done the Yuletide Fantasy tour, not a too expensive one and it was interesting to see! Epcot will also have special events and Christmas stories at each pavilion. We like to stop and listen, especially at France and Norway. And there is always the Candlelight Processional. The dinner package and reserved seating make it stress free.

Here are a couple links to those tours and some holiday info (not updated for 2017 yet)...

Totally forgot about the Candlelight Processional ~ yes, always a great thing to see if you are then when they are running the show! I don't think they announce the narrators until a few months before but I think they all do a super job :D

I am Sulley
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by I am Sulley » Apr Tue 11, 2017 3:58 pm

Amy wrote:We always loved going during the time you have chosen. The weather is beautiful, but the crowds are a bit higher than they used to be at that time of year. Certainly not as bad as they are during the high seasons though.
I'm sort of at a loss as to what to recommend. Our big lure during the Christmas holidays was always the Osborne Lights and those aren't there anymore :( The Very Merry Christmas Party will be a good one I would think. Other than that, it is just the decorations and holiday music that is so special for me :D
It is a shame the Osborne Lights have gone I would have liked to see them and compare them to my own :lol: :lol:

I am Sulley
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by I am Sulley » Apr Tue 11, 2017 4:13 pm

Alacrity wrote:One of our favorite times of year to go! The decorations will be up and, as Amy said, the crowds, not so bad. The Very Merry Christmas Party is good and you might also take some time to tour the other resorts and take in the decorating there. Each resort has some sort of display; Yacht and Beach Club has the chocolate carousel, and Grand Flo the Gingerbread House (have some gingerbread and hot chocolate!) and the others, while not as grand, are still pretty to see. There are also some holiday tours you might find interesting, Holiday D-Lights and Yuletide Fantasy. My wife and I have done the Yuletide Fantasy tour, not a too expensive one and it was interesting to see! Epcot will also have special events and Christmas stories at each pavilion. We like to stop and listen, especially at France and Norway. And there is always the Candlelight Processional. The dinner package and reserved seating make it stress free.

I had thought that it might be good to get around some of the other resorts and see the different displays, so that sounds good. This might also give us a break from the crowds. I believe the Chistmas Tree at Wilderness Lodge is worth a look too. My wife is very excited at the idea of a Chocolate Carousel at our resort. I may have to hold her back there :lol:
I did not know Epcot had Christmas stories. With it being my favourite park and close by we will certainly have to put those on the list. Hopefully with us not spending alot of time on rides we will be able to fit in plenty of alternative activities.
I can see this being a fun planning exercise and be ready to make some bookings when the 180 days till we go arrives :D

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Apr Tue 11, 2017 6:34 pm

I am Sulley wrote:
It is a shame the Osborne Lights have gone I would have liked to see them and compare them to my own :lol: :lol:
Should we now call you Clark Griswold? :lol: :)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Wed 12, 2017 9:14 am

cy1229 wrote:
I am Sulley wrote:
Should we now call you Clark Griswold? :lol: :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Apr Wed 12, 2017 1:18 pm

The dates you chose are perfect. My wife and I took our moms a few years back over the second weekend of December and the crowds were light. It was very cold, though, so be prepared for that of course.

We stayed at Beach Club, so I also think your choice of Yacht is perfect for four grown-ups.

We did a tour of the deluxe resorts just to look at the decorations, not just the Gingerbread house but all around. Each resort does up the decorations a little differently so it's fun to see the variety. Plus you could tie in a meal at one of the stops.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Alacrity

Post by Alacrity » Apr Thu 13, 2017 11:28 am

Good idea for a resort tour and dinner!

For some grown up dinners:
WL: Artist Point
Contemporary: California Grill or The Wave (slightly more laid back)
Grand Flo: Citricos, Nacoosies or, if you wanna go all out, Victoria and Albert's, bring a Jacket and tie/dress!
Closer to home at the Yacht Club: Yachtsman

More laid back:
Poly: O'hana or Kona Grill

Just to name a few! There are some good places at e the other resorts too. Swan and Dolphin have some nice places as do Old Key West and Saratoga Springs. I'm not as familiar with the other resorts but have heard/read good things!

We've been there in December and had warm and we've had cold! Fortunately, we come form Illinois and so started with hat's, gloves and winter jackets! Came in handy!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Apr Thu 13, 2017 6:17 pm

Ooooohhhhh Artist's Point!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

I am Sulley
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by I am Sulley » Apr Sun 23, 2017 10:39 am

horizons1 wrote:The dates you chose are perfect. My wife and I took our moms a few years back over the second weekend of December and the crowds were light. It was very cold, though, so be prepared for that of course.
Alacrity wrote:
We've been there in December and had warm and we've had cold! Fortunately, we come form Illinois and so started with hat's, gloves and winter jackets! Came in handy!
Cold! Cold?
Is that Florida cold or proper cold? Don't forget we are hardy Brits :lol:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Sun 23, 2017 7:51 pm

Cold cold ~ I remember one year, I think it was 2010. Mom wore her big fluffy down jacket to the airport and got out of the car with it as well as her down vest. I asked if she was taking it to Florida and she said she was because she was cold and the down would pack into a small spot if it wasn't needed. Needless to say, I'm very glad she did just that, because despite my eye rolling at her taking that along with us WDW, it was in the low 30's if not a bit chillier at night. She would wear the jacket most of the morning until it warmed up a bit, and then bring it out when the sun would start to go down. And I borrowed that down vest more than once because I only had shorts with me and no long sleeves or coat! With today's very thin down coats, you would be fine for sure with those and a nice pair of long pants, just in case. But it is just as likely to be in the high 70's and 80's as I believe it was just this past year. You just never know!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Apr Sun 23, 2017 9:51 pm

Amy wrote:Cold cold ~ I remember one year, I think it was 2010. Mom wore her big fluffy down jacket to the airport and got out of the car with it as well as her down vest. I asked if she was taking it to Florida and she said she was because she was cold and the down would pack into a small spot if it wasn't needed. Needless to say, I'm very glad she did just that, because despite my eye rolling at her taking that along with us WDW, it was in the low 30's if not a bit chillier at night. She would wear the jacket most of the morning until it warmed up a bit, and then bring it out when the sun would start to go down. And I borrowed that down vest more than once because I only had shorts with me and no long sleeves or coat! With today's very thin down coats, you would be fine for sure with those and a nice pair of long pants, just in case. But it is just as likely to be in the high 70's and 80's as I believe it was just this past year. You just never know!
That's 30 degrees Fahrenheit, lest you think Amy believes 30 degrees Celsius requires a down vest. :lol:

And Amy, you should have known!

My rule for Florida is, these days, always take at least a light jacket and one pair of long pants. Layers are best.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 24, 2017 7:40 am

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:Cold cold ~ I remember one year, I think it was 2010. Mom wore her big fluffy down jacket to the airport and got out of the car with it as well as her down vest. I asked if she was taking it to Florida and she said she was because she was cold and the down would pack into a small spot if it wasn't needed. Needless to say, I'm very glad she did just that, because despite my eye rolling at her taking that along with us WDW, it was in the low 30's if not a bit chillier at night. She would wear the jacket most of the morning until it warmed up a bit, and then bring it out when the sun would start to go down. And I borrowed that down vest more than once because I only had shorts with me and no long sleeves or coat! With today's very thin down coats, you would be fine for sure with those and a nice pair of long pants, just in case. But it is just as likely to be in the high 70's and 80's as I believe it was just this past year. You just never know!
That's 30 degrees Fahrenheit, lest you think Amy believes 30 degrees Celsius requires a down vest. :lol:

And Amy, you should have known!

My rule for Florida is, these days, always take at least a light jacket and one pair of long pants. Layers are best.
Oops :oops: of course, my temperatures were in °F ~ and yes, I should know better after all these years of converting for Epcotmaniac, and having just talked with my brother yesterday who was melting copper in his crucible while we were talking on the phone and kept updating me on the temperature. Shorts weather starts about 10°C for me ~ but I have to agree, layers are the absolute best while on vacation as you just never know what the weather will bring.