Training Runs

Get some props for a training run or race.. bask in the glory!!! You earned it!

Moderator: Moderators

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Re: Training Runs

Post by boilerbabe » Mar Wed 19, 2014 12:47 pm

My run on Mon was going great! Until the top of my foot started to hurt, was 2 miles into my run, it felt like my laces were pinching the top of my foot. Which is odd b/c these are not new shoes and I did nothing different when I laced up. I stopped to adjust my shoe b/c the pain was worse and I could feel it in the ball of my foot too. I could not start running again b/c it hurt so bad. I hobbled back to my car. I have an appt with the foot dr tomorrow, I am having difficulty walking. I am baffled and frustrated! :twisted: I wasn't struggling with my run, I didn't step funny or twist anything. I don't want this to drag on, I hope there is simple answer, but I have been through enough to know, that is probably not that case. If something doesn't clear itself up in 24-48 hours, this is an issue. So much running for a while! :( I am pretty bummed.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 19, 2014 12:53 pm

boilerbabe wrote:My run on Mon was going great! Until the top of my foot started to hurt, was 2 miles into my run, it felt like my laces were pinching the top of my foot. Which is odd b/c these are not new shoes and I did nothing different when I laced up. I stopped to adjust my shoe b/c the pain was worse and I could feel it in the ball of my foot too. I could not start running again b/c it hurt so bad. I hobbled back to my car. I have an appt with the foot dr tomorrow, I am having difficulty walking. I am baffled and frustrated! :twisted: I wasn't struggling with my run, I didn't step funny or twist anything. I don't want this to drag on, I hope there is simple answer, but I have been through enough to know, that is probably not that case. If something doesn't clear itself up in 24-48 hours, this is an issue. So much running for a while! :( I am pretty bummed.
:( Maybe it is your body's subtle way of saying it would like to go scuba diving again...less stress ;)

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Mar Thu 20, 2014 8:50 pm

Amy wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:My run on Mon was going great! Until the top of my foot started to hurt, was 2 miles into my run, it felt like my laces were pinching the top of my foot. Which is odd b/c these are not new shoes and I did nothing different when I laced up. I stopped to adjust my shoe b/c the pain was worse and I could feel it in the ball of my foot too. I could not start running again b/c it hurt so bad. I hobbled back to my car. I have an appt with the foot dr tomorrow, I am having difficulty walking. I am baffled and frustrated! :twisted: I wasn't struggling with my run, I didn't step funny or twist anything. I don't want this to drag on, I hope there is simple answer, but I have been through enough to know, that is probably not that case. If something doesn't clear itself up in 24-48 hours, this is an issue. So much running for a while! :( I am pretty bummed.
:( Maybe it is your body's subtle way of saying it would like to go scuba diving again...less stress ;)
I think you are absolutely right Amy!!!

Brian845
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Brian845 » Mar Sat 22, 2014 11:49 am

I had a nice run this morning to get ready for soccer season. Only a mile tho, not including my warmup on the elliptical (gotta warm up, I'm getting old!). I've never been a distance runner, but maybe I could do a half marathon someday. I'm worried that too much cardio is counterproductive to my main workout goal, which is to build muscle.

I'll have to share some of my injury stories some time, and how I've overcome them.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sat 22, 2014 3:00 pm

Brian845 wrote:I had a nice run this morning to get ready for soccer season. Only a mile tho, not including my warmup on the elliptical (gotta warm up, I'm getting old!). I've never been a distance runner, but maybe I could do a half marathon someday. I'm worried that too much cardio is counterproductive to my main workout goal, which is to build muscle.

I'll have to share some of my injury stories some time, and how I've overcome them.
That would be interesting to hear some of your stories as I know several of us on here have various injuries and are dealing with them as best we can.
I would think you would want a fairly decent cardio workout as well as muscle for soccer. Don't you have to run a lot during a game?

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » Mar Tue 25, 2014 2:31 pm

I've been so crazy with work at the office and traveling that I've been bad for a while now. I finally was able to start up again this weekend and am now on a 4 day streak!. Getting going again after 2-3 weeks with little to no running has been tough. That first four miles on Saturday was slow and painful. Now, four days and 20 miles in, I feel like I'm starting to get back to normal. I'm meeting my folks for dinner tonight so I took a longer lunch and got 5 miles in today. I'm back down to averaging around 9:40 pace. I have three weeks to gear back up for a 10 Mile event I'm doing here in Austin on April 13th. I'd love to get myself down below 9:30 pace again, but dang... hills.
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

Brian845

Post by Brian845 » Mar Tue 25, 2014 9:31 pm

Amy wrote:
Brian845 wrote:I had a nice run this morning to get ready for soccer season. Only a mile tho, not including my warmup on the elliptical (gotta warm up, I'm getting old!). I've never been a distance runner, but maybe I could do a half marathon someday. I'm worried that too much cardio is counterproductive to my main workout goal, which is to build muscle.

That would be interesting to hear some of your stories as I know several of us on here have various injuries and are dealing with them as best we can.
I would think you would want a fairly decent cardio workout as well as muscle for soccer. Don't you have to run a lot during a game?
You definitely run a lot in soccer, but it's mainly sprinting (and a fair amount of walking) so I don't know how helpful long distance endurance running is. Is anyone else a forefoot runner? I only run on the balls of my feet, since it's more comfortable for me, but I can't imagine running an entire marathon like that. I used to run barefoot when I was younger too.

I went for another run today, but I can't wait to get back on some nice soft turf!

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Joe90 » Apr Wed 23, 2014 12:37 pm

Managed to Sign up Sleepy and myself for the 2015 Dopey yesterday.
Now it's 100% full !!

Jeepers that sold out very fast..... :shock:

Jogging 10 miles at 10 min a mile pace....going for the distance, the speed will come.
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Wed 23, 2014 1:48 pm

Joe90 wrote:Managed to Sign up Sleepy and myself for the 2015 Dopey yesterday.
Now it's 100% full !!

Jeepers that sold out very fast..... :shock:

Jogging 10 miles at 10 min a mile pace....going for the distance, the speed will come.
Glad you were able to sign up! 10 minute miles sound like a very doable pace for all those events!

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » May Sun 18, 2014 11:48 am

Training runs were going well so I decided to try a 5k and then a 10k the following day.

Everything went well felt great and am sure I could have run the day after except I was doing a 12hour shift. Time to up the training distance and I reckon in around 6weeks I will be ready to add the half to the others.

This is not easy I was never going to do the Dopey it was meant to be just the 5k and the marathon. Still Dopey it is now so put the brain into gear and don't look back.

IF YOU CAN DREAM IT YOU CAN DO IT. :goofy_bounce: :goofy_bounce: :goofy_bounce:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sun 18, 2014 9:55 pm

Sleepy90 wrote:Training runs were going well so I decided to try a 5k and then a 10k the following day.

Everything went well felt great and am sure I could have run the day after except I was doing a 12hour shift. Time to up the training distance and I reckon in around 6weeks I will be ready to add the half to the others.

This is not easy I was never going to do the Dopey it was meant to be just the 5k and the marathon. Still Dopey it is now so put the brain into gear and don't look back.

IF YOU CAN DREAM IT YOU CAN DO IT. :goofy_bounce: :goofy_bounce: :goofy_bounce:
Awesome job Sleepy90 ~ sounds like you are on the right track both physically and mentally! Just keep swimming running :nemo:

Zillerzap
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by Zillerzap » May Fri 30, 2014 12:02 pm

I signed up for my first Wine & Dine 1/2. I've never run close to that before (only 5k's). I decided to use Jeff Galloway's 18 week training program, but I started in Feburary so the plan was to complete it and then maintion at that level for the next 18 weeks leading up to the race. One issue I'm running into now is that prior to the last 2 weeks I have been running in cold weather and now all of a sudden it's summer and my body is struggling a little to adapt to warm weather running. I'm up to long runs of 6-9 miles weekly. Any suggestions from the running community on how to best transition?

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Jun Sat 21, 2014 11:37 pm

3.5 miles for me today. I wanted to go 4, but I miscalculated my distance. Very soon it will be back to 5 miles per run. I ran a little later than I wanted to, about 9am. It was already 90 degrees and 100% humidity. But I made it.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sun 22, 2014 8:02 am

NaCler wrote:3.5 miles for me today. I wanted to go 4, but I miscalculated my distance. Very soon it will be back to 5 miles per run. I ran a little later than I wanted to, about 9am. It was already 90 degrees and 100% humidity. But I made it.
Still haven't figured out how 100% humidity doesn't equal it raining :shock:
Good job on the 3.5 ~ hope everything is feeling good as you run!

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Jul Sun 13, 2014 12:04 pm

Just back from a 8mile run. Have not run for two weeks due to being away in hotels training for my new job, I did walk the race for life last week with the girls though.

During my run today there were all sorts of things happening on our country roads. During the first four miles there was a cycle race sharing the roads with me, a few of them spoke as they passed but most where too busy to converse with a jogger. :roll:
At around mile six I heard a strange noise, not common to our little roads and then round the corner came a electric blue vintage rolls royce :shock: I almost stopped running at that point it was a stunning sight, however I pulled myself together and kept going. The next mile was taken up with vintage cars passing me at regular intervals they really were a stunning bunch but the oldest was a little Austin most of these guys waved as they passed it was a very enjoyable mile and took my mind of the run, just one problem the fumes from these old cars were not pleasant.

Just as I turned back onto the main road I met more cyclists but by then I was almost home and after the experience with the cars did not care if they spoke or not, my mind was still mulling over the old beauties I had just encountered especially the old roller.