The Poly's Asymetric Nature

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

UncleScrooge477
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

The Poly's Asymetric Nature

Post by UncleScrooge477 » Mar Mon 23, 2015 9:40 pm

I have some of the Poly construction photos as my desktop (from Histories of Disney's Contemporary and Poly 9/2011 official blog) and I just realized how asymmetrical the resort layout is. For instance, the extra building on the back of the Grand Ceremonial House that has some of the restaurants isn't centered. Nor are the other buildings. Guess I never realized it while there. Went and looked at the resort map - scattered around. I guess that is part of what gives it a unique feel while walking around at night. Not so good in the pouring rain, though, when trying to find the quickest route from the pool back to the monorail!

Just thought it was interesting. 8-)
UncleScrooge477

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: The Poly's Asymetric Nature

Post by Amy » Mar Mon 23, 2015 9:42 pm

That is interesting ~ I wonder if it was intentional or just not well thought out when it was first built?

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Wed 25, 2015 9:47 am

I have to think it is a mixture of intentional and them just working with the land they had. It is nice walking along the path because it has a very "natural" feel to it...that you are in a place that feels much bigger than it really is. I found that Disneyland has the same feeling due to how the pathways wind through each land as you walk across the park. WDW has much more open and direct paths. At least that is how it feels to me.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 25, 2015 2:16 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:I have to think it is a mixture of intentional and them just working with the land they had. It is nice walking along the path because it has a very "natural" feel to it...that you are in a place that feels much bigger than it really is. I found that Disneyland has the same feeling due to how the pathways wind through each land as you walk across the park. WDW has much more open and direct paths. At least that is how it feels to me.
That's a reasonable explanation. I just always think how small DL is and how much easier it is to get around compared to WDW