Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Disney's $1 Billion Bet on a Magical Wristband - Wired

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Mar Tue 17, 2015 3:42 pm

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Re: Disney's $1 Billion Bet on a Magical Wristband - Wired

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Wed 18, 2015 8:24 am

Very good read...got a chance to read it last week and thought it was awesome. Crazy that all of that was going on right there in the park...just yards away from all of the guests walking by.

Part of me wishes I could have worked on that...but the other part is glad I didn't because I'm sure it wasn't fun at all...and all of those folks were eventually laid off.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

kelpseaweedkelp

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Mar Thu 19, 2015 1:34 pm

I have the exact same thoughts. I bet that was so completely exhausting. And buggy! I am excited that they will keep it evolving. Exciting things

Also I was trying to figure out exactly where that building was and I think I know and I think I took a nap with my nephew on those benches.

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by zhoover » Mar Thu 19, 2015 2:47 pm

Thanks for the share - nice insight. There are some exciting implications for potential uses of MagicBands, and exciting financial implications for Disney if outside organizations start paying for the technology.

Diebolds
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by Diebolds » Mar Fri 27, 2015 7:41 pm

Very interesting article. Thank you for sharing it.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Fri 27, 2015 9:21 pm

zhoover wrote:Thanks for the share - nice insight. There are some exciting implications for potential uses of MagicBands, and exciting financial implications for Disney if outside organizations start paying for the technology.
That is only if Disney owns it outright, considering they outsource and license development they may not.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Sun 29, 2015 9:18 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:
zhoover wrote:Thanks for the share - nice insight. There are some exciting implications for potential uses of MagicBands, and exciting financial implications for Disney if outside organizations start paying for the technology.
That is only if Disney owns it outright, considering they outsource and license development they may not.
My company did work for the company that invented the hardware and interface with the hardware that Disney used in the development of this. So, that makes me think either Disney only owns their side of it, meaning the logistics end, or they bought out that company and any licenses they had for that particular application of the hardware. So I guess that would be like a utility patent.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Mar Mon 30, 2015 9:51 am

Such an interesting article. I enjoy reading the thought process behind it all, as I struggle with the idea of having to plan everything so far in advance. I'm even to the point of waiting until midnight when everything opens for us to try and start scheduling.
I'm trying to remain open-minded about the idea that this may be giving our disney days more options instead of more restrictions by having things so structured with timing, etc.
Kinda crazy to think of everything that goes into the technology and that you can literally have your food delivered without even ordering at the restaurant. So crazy!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Mon 30, 2015 12:52 pm

Belle1082 wrote:Such an interesting article. I enjoy reading the thought process behind it all, as I struggle with the idea of having to plan everything so far in advance. I'm even to the point of waiting until midnight when everything opens for us to try and start scheduling.
I'm trying to remain open-minded about the idea that this may be giving our disney days more options instead of more restrictions by having things so structured with timing, etc.
Kinda crazy to think of everything that goes into the technology and that you can literally have your food delivered without even ordering at the restaurant. So crazy!
I'm like you and have to remind myself that all this planning is a good thing ~ but it seems to suck a lot of the spontaneity out of the trip. I used to have a rough idea of where we were going when based around the very few reservations we ever make for tours and one or two meals, but that would all change on a daily basis. Glad there is still the option to change things up using the app!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Mon 30, 2015 10:09 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:
My company did work for the company that invented the hardware and interface with the hardware that Disney used in the development of this. So, that makes me think either Disney only owns their side of it, meaning the logistics end, or they bought out that company and any licenses they had for that particular application of the hardware. So I guess that would be like a utility patent.
What makes you think they own/bought it out? The problem is that the company would have to presumably have something already in place to demonstrate that they could make it work, so they likely would build off existing work they own.

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Mar Tue 31, 2015 9:24 am

Amy wrote:
Belle1082 wrote:Such an interesting article. I enjoy reading the thought process behind it all, as I struggle with the idea of having to plan everything so far in advance. I'm even to the point of waiting until midnight when everything opens for us to try and start scheduling.
I'm like you and have to remind myself that all this planning is a good thing ~ but it seems to suck a lot of the spontaneity out of the trip. I used to have a rough idea of where we were going when based around the very few reservations we ever make for tours and one or two meals, but that would all change on a daily basis. Glad there is still the option to change things up using the app!
Yes! I also forget that you can change things on your phone or at a kiosk. I have to remind myself that this just means LESS time waiting in line and now that I have a child, that will be a GREAT thing! hehe I do like that they want to free up people's time in order to enjoy more of the park.
I always get frustrated with people who are in such a rush to "get everything done" instead of just enjoy all the time in the parks, so I feel like this might help that as well.
My only other worry is that with young kids and nap times, there may be times where we have to leave the park earlier than we had anticipated because someone may need a nap sooner than expected, but I guess we will deal with that when that happens.

if they REALLY want to improve time in the park and experiences, I would suggest upping the transportation all around the park - making it easier for guests to go back and forth from their hotel and the park without it taking up too much time. But that's just me. :-)

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Mar Tue 31, 2015 1:10 pm

Belle1082 wrote:if they REALLY want to improve time in the park and experiences, I would suggest upping the transportation all around the park - making it easier for guests to go back and forth from their hotel and the park without it taking up too much time. But that's just me. :-)
I agree with this! We normally use Disney transportation when we're visiting, and we budget an hour to get from one place to another place just to be on the safe side. We don't always make it! This means running back to the room for a post-lunch baby nap can take up much of the afternoon. I'm interested to see how the new posted wait times at bus departure points work out, and whether they get linked to the app.

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Mar Tue 31, 2015 3:14 pm

zhoover wrote:
Belle1082 wrote:if they REALLY want to improve time in the park and experiences, I would suggest upping the transportation all around the park - making it easier for guests to go back and forth from their hotel and the park without it taking up too much time. But that's just me. :-)
I agree with this! We normally use Disney transportation when we're visiting, and we budget an hour to get from one place to another place just to be on the safe side. We don't always make it! This means running back to the room for a post-lunch baby nap can take up much of the afternoon. I'm interested to see how the new posted wait times at bus departure points work out, and whether they get linked to the app.
So true! And unless you have little ones who need to go back and nap, most people wouldn't understand! That is really where I find the most stress and TRUST ME, I am not alone in that thought process! We would spend much more time in the parks if we didn't have to deal with the time it takes to go back and forth.
I would hope the app would sync up with the buses to help with that. Or just add more buses. I wish the monorail wasn't so expensive to build because if all resorts were on the monorail line, THAT would be amazing!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 31, 2015 9:26 pm

Belle1082 wrote:
zhoover wrote:
So true! And unless you have little ones who need to go back and nap, most people wouldn't understand! That is really where I find the most stress and TRUST ME, I am not alone in that thought process! We would spend much more time in the parks if we didn't have to deal with the time it takes to go back and forth.
I would hope the app would sync up with the buses to help with that. Or just add more buses. I wish the monorail wasn't so expensive to build because if all resorts were on the monorail line, THAT would be amazing!
I would love it if the transportation game was upped a bit as well. I had already forgotten about the bus times being posted soon. I would guess they will be linked up to the app, or at least you would hope so.
I don't have kids that I'm working around, but I do occasionally have to run back to the room for something, or Figment will want to go and rest, so the extra transportation time figures in for us as well.

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Apr Wed 01, 2015 9:56 am

I hadn't heard anything about bus times being posted. Is that really happening? How would that work? And when?
That would be a huge help, for sure!!!