All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

wxwiz
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Relief of Wait Times at Soarin and Toy Story Midway Mania

Post by wxwiz » Mar Fri 06, 2015 2:00 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2015/03/0 ... ait-times/

Great Idea, Not expecting a massive improvement, but if it saves 5-10 minutes of waiting sounds good to me

Polynesian Princess
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Re: Relief of Wait Times at Soarin and Toy Story Midway Mani

Post by Polynesian Princess » Mar Fri 06, 2015 4:25 pm

I think it will help, but I wonder how the costs of these expansions compare to building a new attraction (which would also relieve wait times).
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Fri 06, 2015 5:21 pm

Polynesian Princess wrote:I think it will help, but I wonder how the costs of these expansions compare to building a new attraction (which would also relieve wait times).
Good point ~ and what happens when the interest dies down?

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Mar Fri 06, 2015 7:12 pm

Amy wrote: Good point ~ and what happens when the interest dies down?
Well it hasn't died down since they opened, however many years ago that was, so maybe they're expecting that to continue. For Soarin' if it means that there can be a movie upgrade in some theatres while still leaving the California version in another I'm all for that. The Jerry Goldsmith score is going to be hard to top.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Fri 06, 2015 8:47 pm

ImagineerWannabe wrote:
Amy wrote: Good point ~ and what happens when the interest dies down?
Well it hasn't died down since they opened, however many years ago that was, so maybe they're expecting that to continue. For Soarin' if it means that there can be a movie upgrade in some theatres while still leaving the California version in another I'm all for that. The Jerry Goldsmith score is going to be hard to top.
Interesting ~ do you think they would let people choose which movie they saw then?

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Mar Fri 06, 2015 9:54 pm

I'd like that :) I read something (this forum maybe?) about an idea to have the films similar to Star Tours where sections would be the same but others randomly different. That would be for a new movie though, not California. It would be interesting to see how the lines worked out if they had 1 theatre for California and another for a new film. Which would be longer I wonder?

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Fri 06, 2015 10:12 pm

Polynesian Princess wrote:I think it will help, but I wonder how the costs of these expansions compare to building a new attraction (which would also relieve wait times).
Though one does not automatically impact the other. If you build a thrill ride aimed at ages 13+ and then try to offset with a ride aimed at the 7 and under crowd, you probably would not see much change (Such as the garbage fire that is the mermaid ride)

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Mar Sat 14, 2015 9:09 am

I am surprised and delighted by this news. It is rare for Disney to invest in this kind of improvement so long after an attraction has been built.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Chuckus95
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by Chuckus95 » Apr Mon 27, 2015 7:13 am

This is great news. We haven't been on TSMM in several years because of the lines (and the fact that we rarely go to DHS in the morning.)

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » May Wed 06, 2015 1:27 pm

I definitely do not see the interest dying down for either of those rides. With TSMM, I still can't believe how long the wait is! And even now thinking about the ride -- I think, "what is so great about the ride that makes the wait that long?" And then I go on it and realize why the wait is so long -- because the ride is SO much fun and very addicting! :-)

Nice to have two screens for Soarin' too, that way they can do maintenance on one, but still have one open. And, having another movie to see would be a great addition as well!

sfcaguy
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by sfcaguy » May Thu 07, 2015 12:43 pm

Heading down there next week - it will be interesting to see what changes have taken place.

BenB
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by BenB » May Sat 16, 2015 7:12 pm

Belle1082 wrote:Nice to have two screens for Soarin' too, that way they can do maintenance on one, but still have one open. And, having another movie to see would be a great addition as well!
Dunno if you realize this, but there are already two screens for Soarin'. They're adding a third.
Hoping to go back to the Magic soon.

Bunni
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by Bunni » May Tue 19, 2015 1:58 am

That is awesome news, usually we only get on once on Toy Story Midway Mania when we visit due to the massive lines! Brilliant news about Soarin too, it is my mum's favourite ride and I love watching her face light up when we ride it :)

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Oct Thu 29, 2015 2:57 pm

So I read that Soarin' will close on Jan 4th for the update/re-do until "mid-summer." So with the new Frozen attraction not coming online until "Early 2016" that leaves TT as the only attraction with long lines---and will only get longer.

Essentially between Jan 4th and whenever the Frozen thing opens there will only be one attraction that puts butts in the seats. Mayyyybe you throw SSE in there, but still...you know what I mean. 60-70 min waits aren't out of line for Soarin' and TT on a normal day. Now take one of them away.

...And lets face it--that Frozen thing is going to be crazy popular--at least when it opens!

Now this wont stop me from going--I go for all the other things there, but does anyone else think attendance will suffer a little? I think the younger crowd will be less inclined to go.
That Captain EO revival sure isn't bringing them in...
:lol: :lol:

Just a random thought. Anyone else want to chime in?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Thu 29, 2015 7:03 pm

wewantsdaredhead wrote:So I read that Soarin' will close on Jan 4th for the update/re-do until "mid-summer." So with the new Frozen attraction not coming online until "Early 2016" that leaves TT as the only attraction with long lines---and will only get longer.

Essentially between Jan 4th and whenever the Frozen thing opens there will only be one attraction that puts butts in the seats. Mayyyybe you throw SSE in there, but still...you know what I mean. 60-70 min waits aren't out of line for Soarin' and TT on a normal day. Now take one of them away.

...And lets face it--that Frozen thing is going to be crazy popular--at least when it opens!

Now this wont stop me from going--I go for all the other things there, but does anyone else think attendance will suffer a little? I think the younger crowd will be less inclined to go.
That Captain EO revival sure isn't bringing them in...
:lol: :lol:

Just a random thought. Anyone else want to chime in?
I don't know if attendance will suffer, with so many people coming from all over and perhaps planning their vacations well ahead of time without knowing so many things will be closed. I would venture to wager that wait times are sure to rise while everything is closed. It's going to be a mess over at the Studios as well when all that construction kicks into high gear.
Is Captain EO still there?! That's one heck of a limited engagement!