worst food in EPCOT

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

sag746
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

worst food in EPCOT

Post by sag746 » Jan Mon 05, 2015 6:34 pm

The majority of restaurants in EPCOT are very good with Canada, the Living Seas and France I feel the best. However, the food serve at China
is so terrible and unhealthy. The few times I have eaten there, I couldn't finish the heavy sodium levels in the food. Just terrible.
Hope you have a great day

dwellsbct
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Re: worst food in EPCOT

Post by dwellsbct » Jan Sat 10, 2015 11:36 am

I found the food in Mexico to be nothing special... The best food taste and value I think is in Morocco :P
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
W.Disney

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Sun 11, 2015 9:24 pm

the food at the quick service restaurant in Mexico was very sub-par for both Disney and Mexican food standards

I mean...it was better than nachos and cheese at a ballpark...but that's about it.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

bcgm3
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by bcgm3 » Jan Mon 12, 2015 12:57 pm

dwellsbct wrote:I found the food in Mexico to be nothing special... The best food taste and value I think is in Morocco :P
theBIGyowski wrote:the food at the quick service restaurant in Mexico was very sub-par for both Disney and Mexican food standards.
I concur, specifically about the quick service. I had dinner at San Angel Inn, got the Carne Asada. The food and the atmosphere were excellent! But the quick service, yeah, not so much. The horchata, for one thing, is really gritty and not very sweet; not like the homemade sort I've experienced from close Mexican friends...

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Tue 13, 2015 9:39 am

Yep...the food there (San Angel Inn) is about as close to authentic Mexican as you can get in a theme park...while the quick service was hardly to t he level of Taco Bell. I think that is what was so disappointing. I understand they want to keep their costs low and their margins high...but that is what alcohol sales are for.

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Location: Los Osos, California (a.k.a. 2,714 miles from the Polynesian)

Post by JenMuse » Jan Wed 14, 2015 12:59 pm

Rut roh, I just switched our Japan reservation for the new La Hacienda de San Angel...should I switch it back?
  • 1980-93: Fort Wilderness
    1996: All-Stars Movie
    1999: rented a private home
    2008: Hilton Grand Vacation Club at International Drive (HGVC)
    2009: All-Stars Music & Pop Century
    2010: HGVC at I-Drive
    2011: Anaheim Hilton (DisneyLand)
    2012: HGVC at I-Drive & Caribbean Beach Resort
    2013: HGVC-Parc Soleil & Port Orleans Riverside AND Anaheim Hilton
    2015: Old Key West & Saratoga Springs

bcgm3

Post by bcgm3 » Jan Wed 14, 2015 9:50 pm

JenMuse wrote:Rut roh, I just switched our Japan reservation for the new La Hacienda de San Angel...should I switch it back?
The Hacienda is the only Epcot>Mexico dining I haven't tried yet. The menu looks as nice as San Angel Inn's, but with an actual outside view... Towards the evening hours I bet you get a really nice look at most of World Showcase. Teppan Edo in Japan was cool, but I've been to a few other local Japanese-steak-house type restaurants where the food is prepared on the grill right in front of you, so it just wasn't as uniquely-Disney an experience as, say, San Angel Inn. Just my two bits.

chaphome
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by chaphome » Jan Thu 15, 2015 8:00 am

In my opinion, Coral Reef ranks at the bottom for food in EPCOT!

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Jan Thu 15, 2015 8:15 am

I'm with chaphome on this one. The fish swimming by also mad me feel a little guilty haha
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by JenMuse » Jan Thu 15, 2015 12:18 pm

bcgm3 wrote:The Hacienda is the only Epcot>Mexico dining I haven't tried yet. The menu looks as nice as San Angel Inn's, but with an actual outside view... Towards the evening hours I bet you get a really nice look at most of World Showcase. Teppan Edo in Japan was cool, but I've been to a few other local Japanese-steak-house type restaurants where the food is prepared on the grill right in front of you, so it just wasn't as uniquely-Disney an experience as, say, San Angel Inn. Just my two bits.
I agree that Teppan Edo is not very special, but it is food my Dad will eat (unlike much of World showcase for him). He loves Mexican food so when I saw the Illuminations view from The Hacienda, I made the switch. :) We usually dine at San Angel mostly for the atmosphere but I need to try new restaurants so I can recommend them to clients now that I'm an authorized by Disney vacation planner. ;) Oh, what I suffer in the name of research!

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Jan Thu 15, 2015 5:56 pm

Not gonna lie here, but I actually really enjoyed San Angel when I ate there two years back. The view of the temple and volcano and being able to joke with all the people floating by on their boats definitely made the atmosphere pretty fun! I liked the food, but I'm just partial to anything "mexican"....or at least as close to Mexican as you can get up above the border. Viva tostadas!

Edit: Oh i almost forgot... If you don't enjoy the food, then at least hit up the Tequila house down to the left of the stairs as you exit San Angel. You can apparently snag a $5 tequila shot with bloody mary chaser if you follow that locale on Twitter (or so I've heard). Tequila makes a lousy meal WAY better!
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Jan Sat 17, 2015 8:22 pm

JenMuse - you will be fine with the Hacienda ressie. They were talking about the outside fast food service that just serves nachos and snacky Mexican things. I liked La Hacienda but still prefer San Angel just due to the scenery.

FlyingMouse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlyingMouse » Jan Mon 19, 2015 12:07 pm

chaphome wrote:In my opinion, Coral Reef ranks at the bottom for food in EPCOT!
We had one of the latest reservation times possible on our last trip. Taking our time during dinner paid off--we we left the restaurant we found the park completely empty (minus a couple of employees who made sure we headed the right direction).

We made sure that was the slowest walk out of the park possible. It was almost like we had the entire park to ourselves!

From what I remember, the food was good. Not the best, or worst, I've ever had. Just good enough to make an enjoyable meal.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Mon 19, 2015 2:46 pm

FlyingMouse wrote:
chaphome wrote:In my opinion, Coral Reef ranks at the bottom for food in EPCOT!
We had one of the latest reservation times possible on our last trip. Taking our time during dinner paid off--we we left the restaurant we found the park completely empty (minus a couple of employees who made sure we headed the right direction).

We made sure that was the slowest walk out of the park possible. It was almost like we had the entire park to ourselves!

From what I remember, the food was good. Not the best, or worst, I've ever had. Just good enough to make an enjoyable meal.
I did the same thing back in 2008 I believe. We had the last possible ADR you could get. When we were leaving it was amazing. All you could hear was the background music (which is my favorite BG music in all of WDW) and you got the fiber optic ground lights all to yourself. It's a nice mixture of "I feel very at home here" and "I shouldn't be here right now" that makes it fun.

I think it all depends on what you order at Coral Reef...and where you sit. I've had some fantastic dishes there, but have friends who have had to send their food back because it was not prepared correctly. DW and I ate there on our honeymoon, so we got a table right next to the tank. Luckily we were eating shellfish, so the huge fish staring at us didn't make us feel quite so guilty. ;)

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by JenMuse » Jan Fri 30, 2015 1:44 pm

NaCler wrote:JenMuse - you will be fine with the Hacienda ressie. They were talking about the outside fast food service that just serves nachos and snacky Mexican things. I liked La Hacienda but still prefer San Angel just due to the scenery.
Indeed we were. We managed to dine at both. Lunch at San Angel on day, dinner at the Hacienda another night. Happy with both choices. Trip report first day in progress...