contemporary resort

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Re: contemporary resort

Post by Belle1082 » Jan Mon 12, 2015 9:19 am

Yes, we are hoping it will all work out as well! Good to know about only having one pack n play! I still can't believe there will be 10 of us all together.
And yes, for sure when the kiddos get older they can all sleep in living room and give their parents a break. :-) It is such a fun time for our whole family to be together in Disney. I hope we are able to keep up our yearly trips....being the big group that we are, it really is so nice that we are able to rent points. We have thought about DVC but have gone back and forth trying to decide if it would be worth it if we can still rent points.

Either way, I'm SO excited for our trip in October! Woohoo!

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Mon 12, 2015 10:37 am

From talking to people who have owned DVC for 5-8 years...they all tell me that it is quickly becoming a bad investment to buy in unless you buy resale. And when you buy resale you are getting just the remainder of the original contract...which means it is becoming less valuable.

I think as long as you can rent at a reasonable price per point it is better to rent. Of course...if you have an insane amount of cash you want to throw out the window then buy up now. If you were able to secure a home resort of the Grand Floridian or the Poly you could demand some high dollars per point for people wanting to make that 11 month reservation. It would help you make your money back quicker...that's for sure. The hard part is getting the points in the first place.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Mar Tue 24, 2015 12:59 pm

We actually ended up with Saratoga Springs. Not my ideal resort, but it gives us the two bedroom plus the one bedroom. Although I'm bummed not to be on the monorail line, I just can't get over how ridiculously expensive it is unless you already are a DVC owner. I know we will have a fab time and even though it will take us more time to get places, I'm still so excited for our trip. We will be there from Saturday, Oct 10 through Sunday, Oct 18. The 17th is my birthday, so we are staying one extra day to be in DW for my birthday. So I'm happy about that!

Wish it was easier to book sizable rooms without being a full on DVC member!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 24, 2015 1:46 pm

Belle1082 wrote:We actually ended up with Saratoga Springs. Not my ideal resort, but it gives us the two bedroom plus the one bedroom. Although I'm bummed not to be on the monorail line, I just can't get over how ridiculously expensive it is unless you already are a DVC owner. I know we will have a fab time and even though it will take us more time to get places, I'm still so excited for our trip. We will be there from Saturday, Oct 10 through Sunday, Oct 18. The 17th is my birthday, so we are staying one extra day to be in DW for my birthday. So I'm happy about that!

Sounds like you will still have a nice time ~ and to be able to be in WDW for your birthday is pretty awesome! The park crowd levels and the weather should be pretty nice in October as well. :D
Have you stayed in Saratoga Springs before?

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Mar Tue 24, 2015 2:36 pm

Amy wrote:
Belle1082 wrote:We actually ended up with Saratoga Springs. Not my ideal resort, but it gives us the two bedroom plus the one bedroom. Although I'm bummed not to be on the monorail line, I just can't get over how ridiculously expensive it is unless you already are a DVC owner. I know we will have a fab time and even though it will take us more time to get places, I'm still so excited for our trip. We will be there from Saturday, Oct 10 through Sunday, Oct 18. The 17th is my birthday, so we are staying one extra day to be in DW for my birthday. So I'm happy about that!

Sounds like you will still have a nice time ~ and to be able to be in WDW for your birthday is pretty awesome! The park crowd levels and the weather should be pretty nice in October as well. :D
Have you stayed in Saratoga Springs before?
Yes, we've stayed there one other time. Certainly not my favorite resort, but it is hard to be complaining about it when it is STILL disney! :-) It isn't as themed as I like my Disney resorts to be and is still pretty big, but we will still have an amazing time. It will really help us out having a sitting area when the kids are already asleep and the adults are still awake. And also nice to have the kitchen area. I would have rather gone with Old Key West because I like the feel better and the rooms are bigger, but again, stop complaining about anything when we are going to disney either way. haha

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 24, 2015 6:42 pm

Belle1082 wrote:Yes, we've stayed there one other time. Certainly not my favorite resort, but it is hard to be complaining about it when it is STILL disney! :-) It isn't as themed as I like my Disney resorts to be and is still pretty big, but we will still have an amazing time. It will really help us out having a sitting area when the kids are already asleep and the adults are still awake. And also nice to have the kitchen area. I would have rather gone with Old Key West because I like the feel better and the rooms are bigger, but again, stop complaining about anything when we are going to disney either way. haha
The sitting room sounds like a good idea ~ it was kind of hard when we went on vacation with my brother and there was just one big room for all of us. The kitchen area sounds nice too ~ great way to save a little money by eating breakfast or making a snack in the room. I'd have to look some photos up online to see what the rooms look like ~ we've never been, but like you said, no matter where you are staying, you are still going to be going to be staying on Disney property so it's all good! :goofy_bounce:

Polynesian Princess
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by Polynesian Princess » Mar Wed 25, 2015 12:26 am

Belle1082 wrote:Certainly not my favorite resort, but it is hard to be complaining about it when it is STILL disney! :-)
That's the right attitude! I'd rather be staying at my least favorite resort than not going at all. :)
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 25, 2015 6:59 am

Polynesian Princess wrote:
Belle1082 wrote:Certainly not my favorite resort, but it is hard to be complaining about it when it is STILL disney! :-)
That's the right attitude! I'd rather be staying at my least favorite resort than not going at all. :)
Very true! I haven't stayed at very many, but I think I would be hard pressed to choose a least favorite resort ~ it's all Disney ~ therefore it's all good! :lol:

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Mar Wed 25, 2015 7:30 am

Do not despair, Belle, Saratoga Springs is still very nice. It's quiet, and I think you might find that welcome. The pools are nice, and the rooms are really comfy. True, they're not ultra-Disneyfied but you won't find them lacking anything. The transit buses going to/from the parks are never crowded, either. You could do a LOT worse. :) You will have a GREAT time.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Marty Moose
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Marty Moose » Mar Wed 25, 2015 7:44 am

Something comes to mind about a bad room at WDW being better than a good room somewhere else..

But, on our last trip we got upgraded to Saratoga Springs. It is a very nice resort and very close to Downtown Disney.
"Park's closed. Moose out front should have told ya."

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Wed 25, 2015 8:34 am

SSR puts you right next to DTD as well...so you should be able to enjoy all of the new Disney Springs stuff that has been completed by the time you get there. One nice thing about SSR is that it is so big that you can enjoy walking around the grounds there to get some peace and quiet. Of course that is the downside too...it's gigantic so walking from one place to another is quite a hike. Another nice thing is that there are quite a few bus stops, so you are never too far away from one. They have a great spa there as well IIRC...so maybe you can take advantage of that!

The only thing I don't prefer at WDW is when it is crazy crowded. Having been there between Christmas and New Years, I can honestly say I would rather be sitting at work than at WDW at it's busiest. You just can't enjoy it when you are shoulder-to-shoulder with people and have to wait 60-120 minutes to ride things that only last 2-5 minutes. Throw in a cold rain and it makes it even less fun. I can say this because I did it...and I had a blast. But it was without a doubt my least favorite WDW trip.

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Mar Wed 25, 2015 2:06 pm

Thanks friends! SSR WILL be a great place to stay. I do welcome the quieter resorts, as it is a nice change from the loud and craziness of the parks. Especially when we will be traveling with four little ones.
The spa is definitely an added bonus....I might need to check that out!
And yes with DTD being so close, hopefully the new stuff will be in place and we'll get to walk over and check it out.
Again, hard to complain when we will be in disney. It will definitely be an interesting trip for me as it will be my son's first trip and I'll have to put my selfish Disney trip self aside and do what is best for him...but it will be amazing to see him there for the first time.
He already freaks out every time he sees Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and he is only 8 months old. Guess he takes after his Momma. :-)

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Mar Wed 25, 2015 2:10 pm

I almost forgot the best part!

My son was born in July and a few months later I found out something VERY exciting.....
....we named my son Miles and all of a sudden...disney creates a new disney junior show called, "Miles from Tomorrowland!" I just about fell on the floor. It is no coincidence that I have a baby, name him Miles, and within a few months find out that Disney has created a new cartoon and their main character's name is the same as my son! (and happens to look pretty similar to him...at least with dark features. hehe)

I still can't get over it and am HOPING that Miles will be in the park for my Miles to meet. :-) He already has his MFT doll that he loves. hehe
Just had to share because I am still so thrilled about this coincidence. :-)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 25, 2015 2:30 pm

Belle1082 wrote:I almost forgot the best part!

My son was born in July and a few months later I found out something VERY exciting.....
....we named my son Miles and all of a sudden...disney creates a new disney junior show called, "Miles from Tomorrowland!" I just about fell on the floor. It is no coincidence that I have a baby, name him Miles, and within a few months find out that Disney has created a new cartoon and their main character's name is the same as my son! (and happens to look pretty similar to him...at least with dark features. hehe)

I still can't get over it and am HOPING that Miles will be in the park for my Miles to meet. :-) He already has his MFT doll that he loves. hehe
That's pretty amazing! That would be a great photo too ~ not to mention his excitement of meeting one of his favorite characters :D

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Fri 27, 2015 10:18 am

Belle1082 wrote:I almost forgot the best part!

My DS LOVES Miles! It's without a doubt his favorite show right now. I love that they use Tomorrowland and the TTA in the show and I hope they can put a few other Disney parks nuggets in there.