Too much Frozen?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Marty Moose
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Too much Frozen?

Post by Marty Moose » Nov Tue 25, 2014 3:38 pm

I saw an article on line about "Frozen Burnout." Do you all think there's too much Frozen at WDW? I don't think there is and here is my reasoning. For those of us following some message boards, podcasts, blogs, etc. it seems like there is too much Frozen (and at the expense of some favorite rides). But the casual vacation goer who only visits WDW one every few years, doesn't see what's going on every day and only gets the in-park experiences they want. So, I think we're just overexposed to it all. What do you think?

For the record, I don't like replacing Maelstrom with Frozen, I think World Showcase should showcase the real world. Put a Fozen attraction in the Magic Kingdom or the Studios.
"Park's closed. Moose out front should have told ya."

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Re: Too much Frozen?

Post by zhoover » Nov Tue 25, 2014 4:28 pm

I also don't think there's too much "Frozen" at WDW. First, it's what people want right now. Second, (aside from the Maelstrom replacement) the Frozen presence at WDW feels temporary, as if it could all be gone within a few weeks if the public was suddenly uninterested. It's probably an intentional choice to hold over until the Epcot attraction is completed. And I don't want to judge THAT attraction until I experience it. As far as I know there is no corporate or government sponsor of the Norway pavilion (in other words, no one with a financial stake who is objecting), so I suppose Disney can do what they think will bring more people in. I just hope they still pour Linie Aquavit...

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Nov Wed 26, 2014 12:17 pm

Initially I may have said yes, too much Frozen. But I changed my mind when seeing the rebirth of visitors to Hollywood Studios over the summer and fall. I go to WDW a lot, once every month or so... I could see the changes in amount of tourists at Hollywood studios as it was happening! For a long time HS was getting less and less visitors, but now seems reborn! People, kids, families, and tons of little girls dressed as Anna and Elsa! Nice to see it full and busy!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

jderoche5

Post by jderoche5 » Dec Wed 10, 2014 2:14 pm

I just got back a month ago and I did not feel there was a Frozen overkill at all. There was Frozen merchandise available but outside of that I didn't get that feeling at all.
Jessica
Always remember that it was started by a mouse…...

http://instagram.com/jderoche5

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Dec Sun 14, 2014 8:17 pm

It sounds like it's going to be hitting Broadway at some point as well. I just finished watching a behind the scenes look at 20 years of Disney on Broadway and it ended by saying to keep your eyes open for a Frozen reaching the stage. One of the interviewees of the special was Rosie O'Donnell who said she'd like to be a troll. I could totally see her being good in that part!

chaphome
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by chaphome » Dec Tue 16, 2014 6:59 am

I agree! At first I thought it was overkill but on our last trip realized a lot is temporary & could be pulled if needed.

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Dec Sat 27, 2014 4:36 pm

It's over the top now, but give it a few years and it will settle back to normal. Which I'll be happy about. Turning the Disney Christmas Parade into the Frozen Celebration was a bit much for me. Where was Santa this year???!!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Sat 27, 2014 7:12 pm

momeja wrote:It's over the top now, but give it a few years and it will settle back to normal. Which I'll be happy about. Turning the Disney Christmas Parade into the Frozen Celebration was a bit much for me. Where was Santa this year???!!
We forgot all about watching the parade this year, oops. Was there really no Santa at the end of the parade??

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Sat 27, 2014 11:52 pm

No, he was at the start... were you not paying attention? :D

There was a f*ckton of butt-hurt this year over the name/content change, but the reality is that it was almost exactly the same as every year except they ditched the bumpers for the reuniting families scenes, replaced the host going through a nasty public divorce, ditched Samantha Brown and started promoting the Hawaiian property for more than 30 seconds. It was still the same content as every year.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Sun 28, 2014 11:10 am

It does seem like the last few times we have watched the "parade" it has been more of a commercial than anything else.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Sun 28, 2014 12:25 pm

The entire point of the exercise since inception was to be an infomercial for Disney properties and products. It is a low viewership day (some networks throw in the towel and just air reruns of 40 year old shows and a burning log) so the amount of resources required will always be in question.

Similar to the Tournament of Roses Parade later this week, it is to show people in the rest of the country/world "It sucks where you are, come here instead." Additionally, it helps worm the idea of a Disney vacation into the heads of the consumer as they think about summer vacation.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Sun 28, 2014 1:42 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:The entire point of the exercise since inception was to be an infomercial for Disney properties and products. It is a low viewership day (some networks throw in the towel and just air reruns of 40 year old shows and a burning log) so the amount of resources required will always be in question.

Similar to the Tournament of Roses Parade later this week, it is to show people in the rest of the country/world "It sucks where you are, come here instead." Additionally, it helps worm the idea of a Disney vacation into the heads of the consumer as they think about summer vacation.
I'm well aware that they are mostly pushing vacations to the parks, but they used to have a little more of a parade when they first started airing the show. Now it is a few musical numbers, bad commentary from whoever is hosting, and 9 million commercials. As I've mentioned, I didn't see it this year, so I don't know how much parade there was, but I bet it wasn't a lot.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Sun 28, 2014 6:18 pm

There actually was more parade than in most years, because the floats were moving around a turn rather than a straightaway (giving it a more dynamic feel) and the musicians were placed off of the route. They also got rid of the handicapped kids this year, the production company previously used would always make it a point to put shots of them in but this year they decided not to.

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:07 am

Wizzard419 wrote:"It sucks where you are, come here instead."
Ha!

sgrfunk
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by sgrfunk » Jan Sun 18, 2015 4:45 pm

I strongly believe that the "Frozen" fad is so over with. Disney needs to come up with a new story and new characters now.