Sorcerer's Hat being removed from HS?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Sorcerer's Hat being removed from HS?

Post by Len90 » Jan Mon 19, 2015 11:32 pm

That's where I tend to disagree. Construction takes place at night in WDW. The parking deck at DTD was worked on 24/7 when I was there in the summer of 2014. Second, if the deconstruction was being done during the day, I'm sure we would have had videos of the top section of the hat being removed as well ;)
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Jan Tue 20, 2015 9:07 am

It still amazes me what construction workers and imagineers are able to concoct in such a short amount of time. I shouldn't complain. Their job is a lot harder than mine.
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Tue 20, 2015 10:34 am

Len90 wrote:That's where I tend to disagree. Construction takes place at night in WDW. The parking deck at DTD was worked on 24/7 when I was there in the summer of 2014. Second, if the deconstruction was being done during the day, I'm sure we would have had videos of the top section of the hat being removed as well ;)
True...just didn't know if there were regulations for certain stuff like that in Florida. Looking back...I believe they did work on 7DMT around the clock as it got closer to opening.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

grimmghosts96
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by grimmghosts96 » Jan Wed 21, 2015 9:00 am

I'm glad they're taking it down. Not that I ever disliked it but I like the idea of the Chinese Theater being front and center again like it was when the park opened.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Thu 22, 2015 10:30 am

Another thing I remember is seeing work done on Mine Train coaster during the night when MK was open late when I was there. I distinctly recall seeing the workers and they would even wave to people in the park if they caught you waving :D Looks like all that remains is the last 1/4 of the hat along with the brim and sides. Slowly it is all going down. Also the latest pictures I have seen show some light towers peeking above the walls which hints to me this is all being done at night.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 29, 2015 9:07 am

They could leave it as it is now as a Steampunk Sorcerer Mickey hat ;) :lol:

(photo credit: WDW News Today)

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Jan Thu 29, 2015 12:17 pm

So what do you guys think: will it be relocated somewhere else? Is that why it is taking so long to carefully take it apart?

Polynesian Princess
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by Polynesian Princess » Jan Thu 29, 2015 12:23 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing it at DTD, but as far as I know there are no plans for it. I've actually been surprised at how quickly it's coming down.
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 29, 2015 3:09 pm

zhoover wrote:So what do you guys think: will it be relocated somewhere else? Is that why it is taking so long to carefully take it apart?
I don't think so. In some of the pictures you can see huge holes gouged in the interior ~ whether that is simply from the demolition process, or was some natural breakdown over the years I don't know. But I'm almost certain the hat is not being dismantled and reassembled elsewhere.

Wyntuck

Post by Wyntuck » Feb Wed 04, 2015 10:33 am

I was trying to remember if there is anywhere on property they have relocated things that have been removed. Can't come up with a one. But I'm sure the more rabid "Disnoids" will be able to come up with a couple recycled and relocated structures.

Polynesian Princess

Post by Polynesian Princess » Feb Wed 04, 2015 11:05 am

If it doesn't just end up rotting in storage somewhere, I think it's more likely that we'll see them selling pieces. They auction a lot of surplus items from the hotels and various signs on Ebay. They could sell pieces of the hat there too or perhaps put tiny pieces of it in a limited edition "own a piece of the magic!" style pin.
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Tue 10, 2015 8:57 pm

Does anyone else feel like it is taking forever for them to take down the hat? Do you think they are doing it slowly so the fans can take time to process it or is it really that complicated a process?

Polynesian Princess

Post by Polynesian Princess » Feb Tue 10, 2015 9:24 pm

I would assume it's complicated. They know it's an eyesore in a half demolished state.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Tue 10, 2015 9:45 pm

Polynesian Princess wrote:I would assume it's complicated. They know it's an eyesore in a half demolished state.
I know there have been mentions of it having to be basically chopped up, but gosh, it seems like they've been doing the demo for quite a long time now.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Feb Wed 11, 2015 9:18 am

Amy wrote:
Polynesian Princess wrote:I would assume it's complicated. They know it's an eyesore in a half demolished state.
I know there have been mentions of it having to be basically chopped up, but gosh, it seems like they've been doing the demo for quite a long time now.
If they're at the stage of chopping up structural stuff, like concrete foundations or steel supports, that chopping up process might be really noisy, and they might be loathe to make that much noise during park hours.

Pure speculation.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016