Backlot Tour Closing

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Re: Backlot Tour Closing

Post by zhoover » Sep Mon 29, 2014 3:16 pm

Amy wrote: I'm hoping for the Pixar Place instead of Star Wars but that is just because I'm not a huge fan of the Star Wars enterprise.
My guess is the Star Wars expansion will happen in a different area of the 'Studios, by Echo Lake, American Idol, etc. I've got my fingers crossed for Monstropolis or Monsters University to get the CarsLand treatment where the Backlot Tour currently is.

Also, "Star Wars" and "Enterprise" shouldn't be used in the same sentence...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 29, 2014 7:27 pm

zhoover wrote:
Amy wrote: I'm hoping for the Pixar Place instead of Star Wars but that is just because I'm not a huge fan of the Star Wars enterprise.
My guess is the Star Wars expansion will happen in a different area of the 'Studios, by Echo Lake, American Idol, etc. I've got my fingers crossed for Monstropolis or Monsters University to get the CarsLand treatment where the Backlot Tour currently is.

:lol: Didn't even notice I did that :lol:

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Sep Tue 30, 2014 8:27 am

Here is video of one of the last tours...as well as the actual closing of the attraction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFgt_B0E2fw

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Sep Tue 30, 2014 11:50 am

zhoover wrote:
I heard on a WDW Today podcast that they're going to add third track to Toy Story Midway Mania in part of the Backlot space. No idea where they got their info but they're more in the know than I. Thought I'd throw that in there.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Sep Tue 30, 2014 3:31 pm

cy1229 wrote:I heard on a WDW Today podcast that they're going to add third track to Toy Story Midway Mania in part of the Backlot space. No idea where they got their info but they're more in the know than I. Thought I'd throw that in there.
Do you remember which episode it was?

I've listened to some of Jim Hill's stuff with Len Testa and he's talking about all kinds of craziness to happen before WDW turns 50 in 2021. Of course you have to take stuff Jim Hill says with a grain of salt sometimes. ;)

Deacon8luez
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by Deacon8luez » Oct Wed 01, 2014 7:56 am

theBIGyowski wrote:
cy1229 wrote:I heard on a WDW Today podcast that they're going to add third track to Toy Story Midway Mania in part of the Backlot space. No idea where they got their info but they're more in the know than I. Thought I'd throw that in there.

I've listened to some of Jim Hill's stuff with Len Testa and he's talking about all kinds of craziness to happen before WDW turns 50 in 2021. Of course you have to take stuff Jim Hill says with a grain of salt sometimes. ;)
I've heard the same thing from friends in the know on such things. The reason for the addition is because the lines are so long and capacity is a big issue.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Oct Wed 01, 2014 10:38 am

theBIGyowski wrote:

I don't remember which day, but it was within the last 2 or 3 weeks. It was before I went to Connecticut, so I'm thinking it was sometime in the week Sept 15-22.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

kelpseaweedkelp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Oct Wed 01, 2014 1:58 pm

zhoover wrote:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!! :shock:

GoldenBear
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by GoldenBear » Oct Fri 10, 2014 11:01 am

This used to be such a staple of visiting MGM/Hollywood Studios, sad to see it get taken apart little by little over the years, but in its current state, it had to go.

Now they just need to do the same with the Great Move Ride, revamp that for a more contemporary audience.

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Oct Fri 10, 2014 5:40 pm

zhoover wrote:
LOL! Well said. Although this isn't the place to find out who's on what side :)

I realize it's a rumour, but here's hoping any work/improvements on Toy Story Mania won't affect its current operation.

Wyntuck

Post by Wyntuck » Feb Wed 04, 2015 1:38 pm

I was hoping it wouldn't include New York Street. That was always a great overflow area and great for taking snapshots. And yes, the Osbourne Spectacle... where will it go?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Wed 04, 2015 6:27 pm

Wyntuck wrote:I was hoping it wouldn't include New York Street. That was always a great overflow area and great for taking snapshots. And yes, the Osbourne Spectacle... where will it go?
That is a great area, even if I end up getting a little lost back in that corner of the park sometimes :oops: I'm hoping they have something planned for the Osborne Lights already. They moved from where they once were on the Residential Street of the Backlot Tour to the Streets of America so hopefully they will be moving them again. They are one of our favorite things to see at the holiday!

Blackie Pueblo
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Blackie Pueblo » Apr Thu 09, 2015 11:17 am

I was kinda sad to see The Backlot tour close but I was also sad that they kept it open for so long. As a movie fan it was devistating to me that they would just throw movie cars and the Indiana Jones Tank and other things back there to the point it became nothing more than a junkyard/graveyard. It was even worse when they started adding eyes to Disney's plane and the planes from Pearl Harbor. Ugh!

My wife and I rode it on the last day and it was really a husk of it's former self... not that there was much before. Is the AFI part still open though? You know where they would have the coolest movie props on display like they should be?

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Apr Fri 10, 2015 9:36 am

I am more sad about the "old original" Backlot Tour being gone, but that has been gone for years. The one that just finally closed down is a shell of it's former glory. A blessing to close finally.

I remember back in the 80's and 90's when the Backlot Tour was actually really cool! Driving past the houses, sometimes seeing something being filmed. Going thru costuming and props was also really fun! When my kids were little we loved it! In fact I will never forget the time they were both picked to be on the Honey I Shrunk the Kids bumble bee flying scene! Does anyone else remember this? It was awesome, my daughter about 8-yrs old at the time on "the bee" and my son about 5-yrs old holding her hand and flying next to her! I sure wish I still had the video of this... what a bummer.

But for now seriously I am happy they finally closed the Backlot, and put it out of it's misery! On to bigger and better things I suppose 8-)
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Fri 10, 2015 11:21 am

Martin has done some incredible videos documenting the Backlot Tours. Below is Part 1 of 3. He has Part 2 done as well and you should be able to search for it on his page. I don't think he's posted Part 3 just yet.

Disney MGM Studios - The Tours history 1 of 3

I have to say this is one of the best tribute videos he has ever done. You get everything from the original plans for the park itself to the plans for the tour and of course the changes through the years. It'll be a trip down memory lane for those of you who have frequented the parks over the past 25+ years. :)