Backlot Tour Closing

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Backlot Tour Closing

Post by Cardinals314 » Sep Sat 20, 2014 11:30 am

September 27th is now the final day of operation for the Backlot Tour.

The ride has been a former shadow of itself for a long time and is justified. The question now is what's going to be there. A few years ago there were talks of placing radiator springs in the area. The issue right now for that plan is that even with Backlot gone there still isn't enough room for it. The rest of the space needed for that is taken up by LMA.

Another scenario is putting the Star Wars expansion in the area. I don't think that will happen since the talks for the expansion have always been in the area where star tours is.

The likely outcome is a Pixar expansion. The current size of the land is very small with just one single ride. Rides with little to no height requirement would most likely be added as well as one major ride.

I don't expect any demolishing of Backlot to happen any time soon once it is closed based on how slow stuff gets built.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Backlot Tour Closing

Post by Amy » Sep Sat 20, 2014 9:48 pm

While I am sad to see the Backlot Tour go, I agree that it just isn't the same since they closed a lot of it and changed it for the addition of Lights, Motors Action there. I would love to see Cars Land after having seen it in DL, but something new would be equally exciting. I'm hoping for the Pixar Place instead of Star Wars but that is just because I'm not a huge fan of the Star Wars enterprise. It will be interesting to see what information they will share in the new few months.

Epcotmaniac
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Epcotmaniac » Sep Sun 21, 2014 9:37 am

I agree to Amy. Since they closed parts of the Backlot Tour it wasn't the same. I will miss the Canyon but I look forward to a possible new area.

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Sep Sun 21, 2014 12:55 pm

Noooo, I needed it to last until Feb. It's been closed the last two trips I've taken, so I haven't had a chance to see the backlot even in a reduced form for over 10 years. I was really hoping to get another chance.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sun 21, 2014 2:40 pm

ImagineerWannabe wrote:Noooo, I needed it to last until Feb. It's been closed the last two trips I've taken, so I haven't had a chance to see the backlot even in a reduced form for over 10 years. I was really hoping to get another chance.
:( That's too bad you weren't able to see it on your last few trips. I would be more bummed about it closing if we hadn't seen it within the past few years. I am a bit worried that the closure will mean no more Osborne Lights at Christmas. I hope they find a new place for them next year!

bcgm3
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by bcgm3 » Sep Mon 22, 2014 1:15 am

Wow, only a week's notice? Just went out to see Maelstrom one more time tonight... Sounds like I won't be able to make it out for a farewell visit to Catastrophe Canyon, though. I recorded it the last time I went, thinking how dated the attraction was and that it'd likely be replaced at some point. Had no idea then it would be within a couple months!

Ah well. Looking forward to something really good and fresh for Hollywood Studios.

daluke
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by daluke » Sep Mon 22, 2014 10:38 am

Oh my - heading out there in about 30 days after 2 year break, and just going to miss both Backlot and Maelstrom. I am fine to see both go, but just goes to show you that when you visit infrequently, any ride might be your last (altho truth be told, there have been rumors about backlot for years!)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Sep Mon 22, 2014 11:27 am

I never went on the Backlot Tour. I think I'm missing something, but since I wouldn't have gone on it until 2008, maybe I didn't miss much.

Hoping so.

I also missed Horizons and World of Motion before they closed, too.

C'est la vie. Hoping something really good goes in where Backlot Tour is now. That end of the park NEEDS something.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Mon 22, 2014 9:18 pm

A garbage can and set of benches would be an improved replacement. :D It really was dated mostly because the format of a tram ride is long past death and movies aren't made the same way as 20 years ago.

Epcotmaniac
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Epcotmaniac » Sep Tue 23, 2014 7:40 am

Maybe they build a Frozen Land :D

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Sep Tue 23, 2014 5:20 pm

cy1229 wrote:I never went on the Backlot Tour. I think I'm missing something, but since I wouldn't have gone on it until 2008, maybe I didn't miss much.
No, you didn't miss anything!
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

bcgm3

Post by bcgm3 » Sep Tue 23, 2014 11:13 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:... movies aren't made the same way as 20 years ago.
I was talking about Backlot closing with a friend today. He said they should just update it instead... Everybody walks into a bright green room, and a guy with a computer adds in the tram, the canyon, the tanker, the flash flood and the fire in post-production. :wink:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Wed 24, 2014 12:09 am

They actually did try to bridge the gap with the Parisian version. The short-lived Dinotopia series had the prop gates placed on the tour and they demonstrated in the video how nobody watched the show because it was terrible. That and how CGI is used to make a terrible show have bigger sets. :D

UncleScrooge477
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by UncleScrooge477 » Sep Fri 26, 2014 3:32 pm

bcgm3 wrote:
I was talking about Backlot closing with a friend today. He said they should just update it instead... Everybody walks into a bright green room, and a guy with a computer adds in the tram, the canyon, the tanker, the flash flood and the fire in post-production. :wink:
Ha! :lol:
UncleScrooge477

BenB

Post by BenB » Sep Sat 27, 2014 12:33 pm

bcgm3 wrote:
NICE. Wow, would that be an E-ticket attraction? lol
Hoping to go back to the Magic soon.