The Next Chapter: Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Disney Job for Me!

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

DisneyYorkie
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

The Next Chapter: Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Disney Job for Me!

Post by DisneyYorkie » Sep Tue 09, 2014 5:04 pm

Some of you on the forums know that my husband, youngest daughter (attending Johnson University Florida) and I moved to the Kissimmee/Orlando area last August. It was an outstanding year. We traveled north in May when DD finished her freshman year and visited family for about three months and then returned last month in time for her to start her sophomore year.

Since March, I have been applying for Disney jobs with no particular success. I finally decided that just "getting my foot in the door" was probably my best bet. So I applied for part time counter service a couple of weeks ago.

I had my interview today and they hired me on the spot. I have been given a role at the Grand Floridian and will be working in the food court area there! To say I'm excited is an understatement. More like: :goofy_bounce: off the walls!

I know there are former and current Disney cast members on the forums. Any tips would certainly be appreciated. My onboarding and Traditions appointments are later this month.
You've got serious thrill issues dude. - Crush. Finding Nemo

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Re: The Next Chapter: Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Disney Job for Me!

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Sep Tue 09, 2014 5:16 pm

Congratulations! I'm getting discontented at work and did my own Disney job search this week. I started the application process but haven't updated a suitable resume yet...need to get on that. The employment history section which wanted info for the last 10 years was confusing when it asked for an accounting of unemployment periods, but then all the drop down menus were geared towards a job. I guess getting through the application process accurately is the first test :)

DisneyYorkie

Post by DisneyYorkie » Sep Tue 09, 2014 5:21 pm

ImagineerWannabe wrote:Congratulations! I'm getting discontented at work and did my own Disney job search this week. I started the application process but haven't updated a suitable resume yet...need to get on that. The employment history section which wanted info for the last 10 years was confusing when it asked for an accounting of unemployment periods, but then all the drop down menus were geared towards a job. I guess getting through the application process accurately is the first test :)
Yes, the good news is that when you are applying for the professional positions (not part-time), and you enter all the previous employment history, education, etc., it will all be there when you apply for your next job. I have applied for, on average, two or three a month.

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Sep Tue 09, 2014 5:28 pm

DisneyYorkie wrote: Yes, the good news is that when you are applying for the professional positions (not part-time), and you enter all the previous employment history, education, etc., it will all be there when you apply for your next job. I have applied for, on average, two or three a month.
Well that's good to know :) There are a fair number of things stacked against me ever getting a job at Disney, but you never know unless you try. Oh to be a student! The number of internship openings seem plentiful and varied in area.
Hope you are able to get to your dream work area soon!

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Sharonofwindham » Sep Tue 09, 2014 5:43 pm

DisneyYorkie wrote:Some of you on the forums know that my husband, youngest daughter (attending Johnson University Florida) and I moved to the Kissimmee/Orlando area last August. It was an outstanding year. We traveled north in May when DD finished her freshman year and visited family for about three months and then returned last month in time for her to start her sophomore year.

Since March, I have been applying for Disney jobs with no particular success. I finally decided that just "getting my foot in the door" was probably my best bet. So I applied for part time counter service a couple of weeks ago.

I had my interview today and they hired me on the spot. I have been given a role at the Grand Floridian and will be working in the food court area there! To say I'm excited is an understatement. More like: :goofy_bounce: off the walls!

I know there are former and current Disney cast members on the forums. Any tips would certainly be appreciated. My onboarding and Traditions appointments are later this month.
I am so excited for you, and at the Grand Floridian no less!!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Tue 09, 2014 8:19 pm

That's exciting DisneyYorkie ~ good luck!
ImagineerWannabe ~ that is awesome ~ good luck to you as well!

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Sep Wed 10, 2014 3:36 pm

I've tried looking at Disney for jobs as well...but 99% of the jobs I am qualified for are in sunny CA...not an easy place for a 'Bama boy to pick up and move to. ;)

Maybe one of these days I'll have the chance.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 10, 2014 7:20 pm

I used to look at them, but most of the ones I was interested in were on the West Coast as well, and I know I would have a difficult time making ends meet out there on a Disney salary :( Plus I didn't have the experience most of the positions required.

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Sep Sun 14, 2014 10:29 am

Congratulations DisneyYorkie maybe we will get to see you in January. We usually pop into the Floridian at some point to eat. :D

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Sep Sun 14, 2014 11:10 am

Good luck, DisneyYorkie. I hope it's the lunching pad to a great Disney job.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

DisneyYorkie

Post by DisneyYorkie » Sep Sun 14, 2014 1:24 pm

Sleepy90 wrote:Congratulations DisneyYorkie maybe we will get to see you in January. We usually pop into the Floridian at some point to eat. :D
Yahhh! Please come and introduce yourself if you do. I will most likely be working in Gaspy's. My real name is Melanie.