All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Re: Losing My Pixie Dust Desire

Post by zhoover » Sep Wed 10, 2014 8:54 am

Hey Gang:
I've been using Subsonic Radio for a couple of years now, but haven't spent a lot of time in the forums. It's interesting to follow this conversation. My mother took me to WDW in 1985 but I never visited again until my now-wife planned a trip for us in Spring 2010, after I graduated from law school. Growing up, her family made annual trips, and her *in* to get me down there was Star Wars Weekends (I'm a massive fan). After that one trip, I was hooked - fascinated by the sheer scale of what the company has accomplished in Florida (and all of the Walt Disney Company's other contribution to American history and culture). By my count just now, we've been back 7 times since, visited Disneyland last September, and we've got (I am not making this up...) four trips planned in the coming year (we've got a 7 month-old son, and we figure this is an easy way to get him accustomed to travel).
I find that I read a lot of people in forums, blogs, podcasts, etc. discussing how DisneyPark services are in decline while DisneyPark costs are on the rise. My problem is I have nothing to compare them to. I visited in '85 when I was 4, and not again until 2010, and it seems like I missed what a lot of people consider a real wonderful time in the parks.
Can anyone offer specific examples? Or is it more a general feeling that things aren't the same?

bcgm3
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by bcgm3 » Sep Thu 11, 2014 4:28 pm

zhoover wrote:Can anyone offer specific examples? Or is it more a general feeling that things aren't the same?
Generally speaking, I feel there's been a major shift in standards and practices that were set in motion by the transition of ownership from actual Disneys (Walt, Roy, and to a lesser extent, the handful of people who had been working directly under them; Tatum, Walker, and Miller) to an increasingly dispersed and ephemeral group of upper management with increasingly more business-interests than people-interests.

To really punctuate that sentence, know that when Roy E. Disney finally resigned as a chairman of The Walt Disney Company and Walt Disney Feature Animation in 2003, he recommended that the rest of the board oust Michael Eisner for: "micromanagement, refusing to establish a clear succession plan, flops within the ABC television network and major motion pictures, timidity in the theme park business," and my favorite, "turning the Walt Disney Company into a 'rapacious, soul-less' company."

Speaking a bit more more specifically (most of this is opinion with a little anecdotal evidence); A decline in quality of motion pictures (both animated and live action, though taking exception to most of the animated pieces starting with The Little Mermaid and ending with Mulan), the marginalization and dissolution of the (traditional) animation department, major lack of innovation in the parks after EPCOT, lack of upkeep/maintenance in the parks and resorts, skyrocketing prices for admission and consumables, major pushing of garbage merchandise and "VIP" experiences, acquisition after merger after strategic takeover and with that, the continued fragmentation of the singlular voice of the company (Walt's), and of course, the latest hot button that is MyMagic+.

TL:DR; Walt died and the corporate-ification began and it's been largely downhill for the sentimental types ever since.

Sorry if that got a bit heavy! I still love Disney World and visit fairly often, even if it just ain't what it used ta be.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Sep Thu 11, 2014 6:16 pm

zhoover wrote: Can anyone offer specific examples? Or is it more a general feeling that things aren't the same?
Well, there are a few examples. The lack of upkeep on things like AA's on Small World and Splash Mountain at WDW is a specific example, that points to the overall feeling that things aren't maintained to the high degree to which Disney regulars have been accustomed.

But I think it's more an overall impression and feeling. I felt much more herded, and much less valued as an individual, on my most recent trip. No CM specifically did anything to make me feel devalued but the magic just wasn't nearly as prevalent.

I don't want anyone to misunderstand - a Disney vacation is still a great way to spend time with the family, and kids LOVE it. Disney Co. is a business and must make money, and no one is denying that. My original point is that the value for me, for the extra dollars (wheelbarrow loads of them!) just isn't necessarily there, and I'm finding more people who are feeling the same way, rather than thinking $5k for a week's vacation with the family at WDW is a good way to spend that kind of money. I mean $5k will get us a NICE road trip vacation back to Yellowstone, or the Grand Canyon, or even both.

I would never begrudge anyone else going, and if you have young kids who have never been there, or you yourself have been dreaming of taking the family to WDW, do it. It's still a fun vacation. Swallow the cost and deal with it before you go, then enjoy. For me, I might be more inclined to spend my dollars a different way. That's all I'm saying.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Sat 13, 2014 2:25 pm

That might not actually be true though, regarding AAs, since they can break at any moment, it is entirely plausible that something broke right before arrival. Aside from these things can take time to repair, in some cases a repair may involve shutting an entire ride down and as WDW is (for many customers) a once in a decade or even once in a lifetime trip, they aren't about to shut down one of their landmark rides for a cosmetic issue.

Deacon8luez
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by Deacon8luez » Oct Wed 01, 2014 8:09 am

Yes there was definitely a decline in the Disney parks during the second decade of Eisner. However, I feel that Iger has put the focus and resources back on developing the parks.

Leigh
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by Leigh » Oct Wed 01, 2014 9:58 am

Wow my sister and I talk about this all the time -- all the magic being drained away slowly. We went for the first time as kids in the 70s got addicted and then went every two years starting when we were 14 & 18. We always adored escaping to WDW but it has changed. The vision of the future over at EPCOT disappearing, turning Maelstrom into a frozen ride etc. The first time I went on the Little Mermaid last year in Fantastyland I was struck by the lovely themed queue and then by how very short & mediocre the actual attraction was -- I sat there wondering about corporate and how they don't get it -- I wondered if Disney had lost me then. We are going back in 16 days and I hope to have fun between the soul-deadening Fast Pass plus system and the unfortunately large group of people I am traveling with. We'll see . . .

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Oct Thu 02, 2014 8:22 am

Leigh wrote:Wow my sister and I talk about this all the time -- all the magic being drained away slowly. We went for the first time as kids in the 70s got addicted and then went every two years starting when we were 14 & 18. We always adored escaping to WDW but it has changed. The vision of the future over at EPCOT disappearing, turning Maelstrom into a frozen ride etc. The first time I went on the Little Mermaid last year in Fantastyland I was struck by the lovely themed queue and then by how very short & mediocre the actual attraction was -- I sat there wondering about corporate and how they don't get it -- I wondered if Disney had lost me then. We are going back in 16 days and I hope to have fun between the soul-deadening Fast Pass plus system and the unfortunately large group of people I am traveling with. We'll see . . .
If I could give you any advice regarding FP+ (you probably already know this as a WDW veteran) it would be to get to the parks at Rope Drop...and just ride everything that way instead of relying on FP+. You can still make FP+ reservations and all that...but you'll wait in longer lines using your FP+ than you would if you got the parks at Rope Drop and walked right on the major attractions. It's how everyone did it in the old days before even the old FP system existed. And it still works today. :)

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Oct Thu 02, 2014 8:40 am

It makes me sad thinking about this as I never want to 'lose the magic' in any way. My only thing is I feel like the crowds have gotten WAY crazier which always stresses me out and makes me feel like we can just enjoy things but are worried about fast passes, lines and fighting the crowd or getting the next bus. I'll never stop going, but I just wish I could find the perfect time of year to go where the crowds aren't insane and it could just be a more relaxed atmosphere. I think since they have added so many different events throughout the year (F&W, MNSSHP, etc) it is hard to come up with a time where there isn't a ton going on.
Either way, like I said, I'll never stop wanting to go. haha And thinking about bringing my son who is only 12 weeks old right now for his first trip -- I just could never not take him early and often. :-)

UncleScrooge477

Post by UncleScrooge477 » Oct Fri 31, 2014 3:47 pm

Jumping late on this conversation, but, yes, it has been Death by a Thousand Cuts. When you stop and look back, it has gradually changed. While there is still "Magic" I am not sure it is "the" Magic. The true spontaneity of the parks is gone (if ever there - remember Touring Plans from the Unofficial Guide??? 1 day, two day, etc?) and must now be even more controlled, as crowds grow, society changes, and whatnot.

For me, though, the turning point was the clearing of Ft. Wilderness campground. What used to seem special, quiet, and "ours" was brush-hogged out of existence. Yes, I understand fire danger, tall trees and high wind don't mix, undergrowth can hide dangers, etc. But coming back to camp just seemed strange. Seeing the other loops from your loop, seeing THROUGH the loops, etc. It lost a lot when that happened.

There were also changes in things like Birthdays. In the past we would get cards from Mickey on our birthday at the campground, balloons tied to the car, etc. That seems to have gone. The contemporary once gave me a lovely box of chocolates for my birthday - small, but with the Contempo logo and what not. On my 50th birthday? Nothing. Huh.

And, a final personal note - the unique resort merchandise? Disappeared and almost completely gone. The same with specific park merchandise. Now it doesn't matter where you stop to shop- they all carry the same thing (with MINOR exceptions, at some of the luxury resorts). Don't get the camping folk started on the end of the Ft. Wilderness tire covers!

Things feel homogenized and generic. Want a special experience? Here are two to buy - pick one. Want a park shirt? Here's one for both Florida AND California!

Well, progress is progress, right? That's why there IS a main street, though - so Walt could let us all remember how it used to be. Even if Main Street has become one large Disney store that connects on the inside...
UncleScrooge477

bcgm3

Post by bcgm3 » Nov Tue 04, 2014 7:37 pm

UncleScrooge477 wrote:For me, though, the turning point was the clearing of Ft. Wilderness campground.
Ughhhh say it ain't so! I must have stayed at the campground with my parents and/or grandparents a dozen times when I was younger (throughout the 90's). I have such fond memories of being maybe 12 or so, exercising new-found independence when my parents would let me ride my bike around the grounds by myself all day, stopping by the trading posts for icecream, fishing at the little inlet by the boat for Discovery Island and the parks, finding old abandoned railroad tracks off the beaten path in the infinite kudzu... I hate to think that experience isn't there for kids that age now.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Nov Wed 05, 2014 11:31 am

My suggestion to everyone is to find different things to do at Walt Disney World! My husband and I have been on just about every Disney tour there is to go on! My favorites are Keys to the Kingdom in the Magic Kingdom, Undiscovered Epcot in Future World, and the Wild Africa Trek in Animal Kingdom.

Some of the tours are expensive but some like the Behind the Seeds Tour in the Land in Epcot are only $15 I think! I have found that more immersive tours on trips we have taken have really enhanced my love of Walt Disney World. Seriously, imagine going behind the scenes on some of the attractions it's unbelievable! On one of the tours, we went behind the scenes at the Haunted Mansion in the Ballroom! We saw how the ghosts are made and other spooky stuff! On Keys to the Kingdom, you go on front of the line a a few rides after going down Main Street learning about the windows... then end up in the the famous Utilidors!! Totally cool stuff 8-) Another really amazing thing to do is a Segway tour, talk about a whole bunch of fun! Then there is options like boating and my favorite... Resort hopping!

So, I would say to all who might think they have lost their Pixie Dust... you need to expand and do other things. The parks become even more magical!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Wed 05, 2014 2:44 pm

cousininmiami wrote:My suggestion to everyone is to find different things to do at Walt Disney World! My husband and I have been on just about every Disney tour there is to go on! My favorites are Keys to the Kingdom in the Magic Kingdom, Undiscovered Epcot in Future World, and the Wild Africa Trek in Animal Kingdom.

Some of the tours are expensive but some like the Behind the Seeds Tour in the Land in Epcot are only $15 I think! I have found that more immersive tours on trips we have taken have really enhanced my love of Walt Disney World. Seriously, imagine going behind the scenes on some of the attractions it's unbelievable! On one of the tours, we went behind the scenes at the Haunted Mansion in the Ballroom! We saw how the ghosts are made and other spooky stuff! On Keys to the Kingdom, you go on front of the line a a few rides after going down Main Street learning about the windows... then end up in the the famous Utilidors!! Totally cool stuff 8-) Another really amazing thing to do is a Segway tour, talk about a whole bunch of fun! Then there is options like boating and my favorite... Resort hopping!

So, I would say to all who might think they have lost their Pixie Dust... you need to expand and do other things. The parks become even more magical!
The tours are a lot of fun ~ I'm envious you were able to go behind the scenes at the Haunted Mansion ~ we never got to do that on any of our tours ~ that would be awesome!! :hm_ghost:

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Nov Wed 05, 2014 3:42 pm

cousininmiami wrote:My suggestion to everyone is to find different things to do at Walt Disney World!
I'm heading to WDW tomorrow for a week, and we've got a Wild Africa Trek planned for Monday morning. I've heard great things and can't wait to experience it for myself!

UncleScrooge477

Post by UncleScrooge477 » Nov Thu 06, 2014 9:29 am

zhoover wrote:
cousininmiami wrote:My suggestion to everyone is to find different things to do at Walt Disney World!
I'm heading to WDW tomorrow for a week, and we've got a Wild Africa Trek planned for Monday morning. I've heard great things and can't wait to experience it for myself!
Did that for my 50th birthday! really cool! Go go go!

Yeah, there's still pixie dust, fer shure, but there is dust on some of the memories, if that makes sense!
UncleScrooge477

Leigh

Post by Leigh » Nov Thu 06, 2014 11:40 am

Yeah, there's still pixie dust, fer shure, but there is dust on some of the memories, if that makes sense!
I love this line. :-) I just got back from a trip with way too many friends and my own exhausting kids. There were magical moments despite fastpass plus and food prices etc. I did enjoy the trip although I had doubts beforehand, like any addict the second I landed in CT I wished I was back in Epcot. I wish I could live there. Walt Disney was an absolute genius!