Off Kilter

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

BenB
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Re: Off Kilter

Post by BenB » Aug Sun 31, 2014 1:15 am

I enjoyed Off Kilter and will be sorry to see it go. But why ax the fife & drum corps? Please tell me they're not replacing such an authentic, traditional American sound with the drivel that passes as modern pop music. None of the articles said anything about a replacement for it.
Hoping to go back to the Magic soon.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sun 31, 2014 12:25 pm

Since it is the off-season coming up they may not have a replacement set. There may also be no permanent musical replacement, possibly bringing in something similar for special events. When they got rid of billy hill and the hillbillies there was no musical act to replace them.

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Aug Sun 31, 2014 6:28 pm

This is no surprise since the budget/cost related to NGE's has been overrun. It is the same reason why there has been a very large increase in "special" events. Heck there is now even a VIP section for a special event (desert party in Cinderella's castle during MNSSHP).
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 31, 2014 11:03 pm

Yeah, it does seem like WDW is capitalizing on the fact that there are people willing to pay extra for almost any experience. And yes, I know WDW is a corporation and they are trying to make money, but it seems like they are taking some shortcuts that are really going to alienate some of the guests in the long run :(

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Aug Sun 31, 2014 11:31 pm

Amy wrote:Yeah, it does seem like WDW is capitalizing on the fact that there are people willing to pay extra for almost any experience. And yes, I know WDW is a corporation and they are trying to make money, but it seems like they are taking some shortcuts that are really going to alienate some of the guests in the long run :(
Exactly. Disney increases the prices for every thing they charge and still remove good quality from their product. From the quality of hotel rooms, to the food at the park, and much more, the overall quality has decreased drastically.

Also these "special" events really cater to the crazy Disney Life-Stylers who rarely say anything negative about Disney (I would have used never but after the fiasco with the villains night at DHS).

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

BenB

Post by BenB » Sep Wed 03, 2014 12:20 am

Cardinals314 wrote:(I would have used never but after the fiasco with the villains night at DHS).
Sorry for the off topic, but I don't think I heard about this. What fiasco?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 03, 2014 7:22 am

BenB wrote:
Cardinals314 wrote:(I would have used never but after the fiasco with the villains night at DHS).
Sorry for the off topic, but I don't think I heard about this. What fiasco?
I tend toward the off topic (it's the pirate in me ;) ) so I'll jump in as it seems Cardinals314 isn't always around. Many guests were very unhappy with the Villains Night because there were very long lines, people only got to see a couple of villains even though there were 50 or so of them either in organized queues or just walking freely during the event. The merchandise sold out quickly, and I believe the t-shirts sold out within hours. It was super crowded. And from the few blogs I've read about the event, people were just overall disappointed in the organization of the event. It sounds like a lot of guests went to guest relations and most received their money back for the event if they complained. I also read some blogs of guests who had a great time, and those actually seemed to be the guests who went in with more realistic expectations and knew they they weren't going to see every character and buy all the merchandise.

celtsfn33
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by celtsfn33 » Sep Wed 03, 2014 8:49 am

That stinks that they are getting rid of Off Kilter. Glad I was able to catch them one last time when I was there in June.

BenB

Post by BenB » Sep Wed 03, 2014 9:35 pm

Amy wrote:I tend toward the off topic (it's the pirate in me ;) ) so I'll jump in as it seems Cardinals314 isn't always around. Many guests were very unhappy with the Villains Night because there were very long lines, people only got to see a couple of villains even though there were 50 or so of them either in organized queues or just walking freely during the event. The merchandise sold out quickly, and I believe the t-shirts sold out within hours. It was super crowded. And from the few blogs I've read about the event, people were just overall disappointed in the organization of the event. It sounds like a lot of guests went to guest relations and most received their money back for the event if they complained. I also read some blogs of guests who had a great time, and those actually seemed to be the guests who went in with more realistic expectations and knew they they weren't going to see every character and buy all the merchandise.
Wow. It really hurts to see the slide in Disney standards. I'm glad they are seemingly keeping up good customer service.

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Sep Thu 04, 2014 8:48 pm

Guests were lucky to see 2 characters. Those two meet and greets were the only things they could do during the entire event. The party itself looked like it had good quality but overbooked completely. If there was at least 5000 less people the party would have been better

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Sep Fri 05, 2014 8:27 am

If yall can help out, please join the Save Off Kilter page on facebook. A lot of people have sending in emotional stories to Disney only to get canned responses back but some of them actually have spoken to the VP of EPCOT and contacted the Orlando Sentiniel

Also please sign this petition!

https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disne ... a-pavilion#
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

Chuckus95
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by Chuckus95 » Sep Sun 07, 2014 8:02 pm

packwingfn wrote:If yall can help out, please join the Save Off Kilter page on facebook. A lot of people have sending in emotional stories to Disney only to get canned responses back but some of them actually have spoken to the VP of EPCOT and contacted the Orlando Sentiniel

Also please sign this petition!

https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disne ... a-pavilion#
I signed the Petition. It really irritates me to see all the magic being whittled away (don't get me started on Fastpass+).

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Sep Thu 18, 2014 8:39 pm

I would like to share a personal story on my love for Off Kilter:

(this is a story that I wrote and will be given to the band via a diary photo memory maker on their last day made from fans from the Save Off Kilter page)

Dear Off Kilter,

Thank you so much for 17 years of service. Let me take a moment and share my story of how I fell in love with such a wonderful band. So I first really discovered you around 2005 when I came to Disney World for the first time without my parents and I was able to explore EPCOT on my own (I was on vacation with my brother but he wanted to do something else). I was just walking around World Showcase when I stopped and listened to some of your songs and really enjoyed your performance. I started doing research when I returned and bought all of your CDs off of your website and started becoming a huge fan of all your songs. The thing is in Rhode Island, no one ever heard of Off Kilter so I had no one to talk too about them besides my best friend Dan so he would put up with me always talking about seeing them again

In 2007, I applied for the Walt Disney World College Program & was interested in Custodial because of how much freedom that job entitled itself too and when I had my interview, I told them how excited I would be if I got to work in the World Showcase area. A few months later, I found out that my dream came true & I was going to be working in World Showcase. During my time as a Cast Member over there, I would be so thrilled when I found out I would be covering the Canada/UK/France area as I would be able to walk over whenever Off Kilter's set would be playing. I would always text Dan telling him whenever I got to see Off Kilter (either as a guest or a cast member) and he knew how much their music meant to me as it always put me in a wonderful mood hearing the bagpipes played by Jamie, the great vocals of Mark, and guitar tunes of Randy. Eventually Dan came down to visit me and was able to see Off Kilter perform a few sets with me and we even took a picture with Off Kilter which I treasure as one of my favorite pictures of us.

Well eventually my College Program ended and I had to fly back to Rhode Island to once again talk about how much I loved Off Kilter to Dan who was the only one who knew about them in Rhode Island. My next goal after i graduated college was to move back to Florida to work for Disney World again but this time in a more full-time role. Unfortunately, a few months before I was ready to move back down, Dan passed away from an unexpected heart condition but after mourning his death and some good support from friends/family, I was able to stay positive and remember the great memories I shared with him over the years. One of those great memories was seeing Off Kilter in EPCOT on our 2 trips in Disney together & all the times i would talk about them to him at a bar/his house/work etc, and the moment we were able to take a picture with them on their stage.

During the last 4 years of living in Florida, I was able to see Off Kilter at least once or twice a month and every time I would listen to their music, it would always leave me in a good mood and make me think of Dan especially when they played Loch Lochmond (he was my 1 true love) or Danny Boy or Alive. The day I found out that they were being let go has left a hole in my heart and I'm not sure I can ever go to World Showcase again without those great warm feelings I have when I see Off Kilter.

To conclude,
Danny Boy, I love you so!
Thank you Off Kilter
Derek
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Fri 19, 2014 5:43 am

Very touching story packwingfn ~ I'm sure Off Kilter will enjoy hearing your story and knowing how much their fans will miss them.

UncleScrooge477

Post by UncleScrooge477 » Sep Mon 29, 2014 3:29 pm

cy1229 wrote:So... They muffed up, made less money than they thought they should, and as a result are decreasing the quality of experience for their customers.

Yeah, that sounds like a good business plan.

</end sarcasm>
As a business professor, I approve of this Sarcasm...
UncleScrooge477