Off Kilter

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Off Kilter

Post by packwingfn » Aug Wed 27, 2014 11:28 pm

Just heard from multiple sources that Off Kilter's performance at EPCOT will be September 26th.

This is a huge loss for me as Off Kilter as meant a lot to me over the years. Their original music is so good and they do a lot of great covers of songs I would have never heard of if it wasn't for them. I would often see them a couple of times a day on my day off from work and a lot of them would remember me too which always made me feel good.

It is also going to be the last day for the Fife & Drum band in AA & MoRockin in Morocco! :-( very sad day in EPCOT.
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Off Kilter

Post by Amy » Aug Thu 28, 2014 6:31 am

That is sad. So many people enjoy their performances. Are they all on a contract that is ending? Strange that they are all finishing up at the same time. Have you heard anything about whether they will be replaced or are they planning on heading in a new direction for entertainment?

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Aug Thu 28, 2014 9:10 am

Two words:

THIS STINKS.

I'm sure they realize that people are more likely to shop and spend money if they're drawn in by something. Can't imagine for the life of me why they would take these really popular performers out.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Aug Thu 28, 2014 1:37 pm

I am a big Off Kilter fan as well...but I must admit that it always struck me as odd to have a bagpipe rock band in Canada. Looks like they are replacing them with a Canadian lumberjack band.

Didn't the UK pavilion do something similar...getting rid of The British Invasion and replacing them with The British Revolution? I think I saw The British Invasion on PBS here recently doing some kind of concert.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

I am Sulley
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by I am Sulley » Aug Thu 28, 2014 3:12 pm

Noooooo! :(

Only caught part of their show when we were last there and loved it.
Looks like we wont see the rest.
Sad

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Aug Thu 28, 2014 7:06 pm

Darn it. I missed Off Kilter last trip, I was hoping to see them on the one pending for this winter. It seemed more odd to me that none of Off Kilter was actually Canadian, I was willing to just enjoy the kilt look and rockin' bagpipe sound :)

Are you serious about the lumberjack band?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Thu 28, 2014 9:22 pm

I wonder if the contracts were due and they had become too expensive to retain? Seems odd that so many groups are being replaced at the same time. And they are bringing in new bands to replace them right, so it isn't that they don't want a band or musical act there. Wonder if we will ever know the true reason?

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Aug Thu 28, 2014 11:21 pm

It's a budget cuts due to my magic plus not gaining the revenue they projected for this fiscal year so they are cutting their budget to make the bottom line look better

I saw off kilter today and they played their normal sets and afterwards I spoke to Marl and said they know it's already leaked online and he tried his best to keep his company face on and understand that the company has decided to go in a different direction .

There will be replacements but they will be cheaper and 3 rd rate acts. One does not replace a band that has been performing for 17 years!
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Aug Fri 29, 2014 8:09 am

So... They muffed up, made less money than they thought they should, and as a result are decreasing the quality of experience for their customers.

Yeah, that sounds like a good business plan.

</end sarcasm>
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Fri 29, 2014 8:17 am

Thanks Derek ~ so it was as I suspected then, saving money. Too bad, I know the musical acts, particularly Off Kilter have been very popular. I hope the new acts will be good and can eventually develop the same following and love from the guests.

bcgm3
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by bcgm3 » Aug Fri 29, 2014 3:01 pm

A few links for those who want to read more:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/a ... 63112.post
http://behindthethrills.com/2014/08/off ... rtainment/
http://www.examiner.com/article/disney- ... other-acts

I wouldn't discredit the new acts before I see them... Is anyone really upset to see Mo'Rockin go? :mickey:

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Aug Fri 29, 2014 7:25 pm

I realize it's the wrong park, and perhaps they've become too famous, so wouldn't save any money but I'd like to see the Sound Check guys again. They could add plaid shirts and do their act in Canada :)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Fri 29, 2014 7:34 pm

ImagineerWannabe wrote:I realize it's the wrong park, and perhaps they've become too famous, so wouldn't save any money but I'd like to see the Sound Check guys again. They could add plaid shirts and do their act in Canada :)
I don't think I've heard of Sound Check ~ were they in MGM/DHS?

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Aug Sat 30, 2014 3:57 pm

Yep, they were the "pre show" to Beauty and the Beast at Hollywood Studios. A 4 man acapella group that appeared to actually be doing a sound check and then things got interesting :)

Ah that's right "Sound Check Guys" wasn't the actual name, I had to look it up again (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dss751iP3eo). Technically they were "4 for a Dollar", or "Return 2 Zero".

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sat 30, 2014 6:23 pm

ImagineerWannabe wrote:Yep, they were the "pre show" to Beauty and the Beast at Hollywood Studios. A 4 man acapella group that appeared to actually be doing a sound check and then things got interesting :)

Ah that's right "Sound Check Guys" wasn't the actual name, I had to look it up again (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dss751iP3eo). Technically they were "4 for a Dollar", or "Return 2 Zero".
Fun ~ love acapella groups if they are good. Looks like they were probably there during our dry spell of about 10 years of not going...