Who else misses Horizons at EPCOT Center?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Who else misses Horizons at EPCOT Center?

Post by Amy » Mar Sun 01, 2015 5:37 pm

brerrabbit1 wrote:When did this attraction close? I never got to ride it but it sounds like I missed out on something good!!!! :(
Early in 1999. It really was a nice little attraction ~ beautiful music :D

Polynesian Princess
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by Polynesian Princess » Mar Tue 03, 2015 3:15 am

brerrabbit1 wrote:When did this attraction close? I never got to ride it but it sounds like I missed out on something good!!!! :(
It was a good attraction. At least you can still experience it via YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvOpTFZCaig
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

kelpseaweedkelp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Mar Tue 03, 2015 1:08 pm

Hey brerrabbit :)
To me, Horizons was the embodiment of what EPCOT is about - optimism, the promise of technology, science and exploration. It was super cool and had lots of neat little touches - a very early giant wraparound IMAX screen, a choose your own adventure at the end, a really nice soundtrack, one part where it smelled like oranges in the desert.

It closed in 1994 bc GE decided to not sponsor it anymore and they couldn't find another sponsor - although the wiki says there were structural problems too. I think the closet equivalent is Spaceship Earth in terms of wondrous feeling.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizons_%28Epcot%29

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 03, 2015 1:15 pm

kelpseaweedkelp wrote:Hey brerrabbit :)
To me, Horizons was the embodiment of what EPCOT is about - optimism, the promise of technology, science and exploration. It was super cool and had lots of neat little touches - a very early giant wraparound IMAX screen, a choose your own adventure at the end, a really nice soundtrack, one part where it smelled like oranges in the desert.

It closed in 1994 bc GE decided to not sponsor it anymore and they couldn't find another sponsor - although the wiki says there were structural problems too. I think the closet equivalent is Spaceship Earth in terms of wondrous feeling.
That's a great summary ~ I forgot about the orange farm smells! I didn't know there were structural problems :(

Thumper1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Thumper1 » Mar Tue 03, 2015 2:34 pm

Polynesian Princess wrote:
It was a good attraction. At least you can still experience it via YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvOpTFZCaig
Thank you Polynesian Princess for sharing the clip!! I really enjoyed it!! Too bad it closed!!

Thumper1

Post by Thumper1 » Mar Tue 03, 2015 2:38 pm

kelpseaweedkelp wrote:Hey brerrabbit :)

Thanks for the info. kelpseaweedkelp, I had questions after I watched Polynesian Princess's video! You answered them all! my biggest question was why did they close it?! I would think that it was a popular attraction, too bad it's not open still. :( My Disney Hubby and daughter would like it!

kelpseaweedkelp

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Mar Tue 03, 2015 3:07 pm

Yeah those EPCOT rides are tricky. The main pavilions have 10 year contracts with companies that sponsor them. So if they decide not to renew and another sponsor isn't found... :(
Or sometimes the companies want a whole redo - a great example is Imagination. Kodak is the sponsor. In the original version, Figment and Dreamfinder were a huge deal and Kodak said they were concerned that Figment was associated more with EPCOT than w Kodak. And then they were the ones who asked for the redo. Which is a HUGE shame bc the original Imagination was GORGEOUS. Did you get a chance to see it?

Thumper1

Post by Thumper1 » Mar Tue 03, 2015 5:39 pm

kelpseaweedkelp wrote:Yeah those EPCOT rides are tricky. The main pavilions have 10 year contracts with companies that sponsor them. So if they decide not to renew and another sponsor isn't found... :(
Or sometimes the companies want a whole redo - a great example is Imagination. Kodak is the sponsor. In the original version, Figment and Dreamfinder were a huge deal and Kodak said they were concerned that Figment was associated more with EPCOT than w Kodak. And then they were the ones who asked for the redo. Which is a HUGE shame bc the original Imagination was GORGEOUS. Did you get a chance to see it?
Unfortunately, no! I wish my parents had been Disney people and I didn't start going til later on but we are trying to make up for it now !! As an adult, I've got a great love for Epcot, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as a kid, so I'm trying to look at the bright side of it! I did miss out on a lot of great attractions though!!!!!!

Blackie Pueblo
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Blackie Pueblo » Apr Thu 09, 2015 11:08 am

cousininmiami wrote:I think what was so awesome about EPCOT Center originally is that everything tied together in Future World so nicely. The Living Seas tied into the underwater cities in Horizon's, the Space living in Horizon's tied into Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land in the Land area tied into the Desert Farming area of Horizon's! And everything seemed to tie into Communicore East and West. I know there are many more examples, but these are the ones that come to mind. Now although Epcot is still my "happy" place to go to, it is more disjointed and not connected to the various pavilions. I will always regard Horizon's as my favorite ride/attraction in any Disney park!

Fantastic observation. I loved Horizons and if you think about it, this ride influenced so many others in EPCOT. The touch screen to decide your future, the smells of Oranges, etc I will alwasy have a special place in my heart for this ride because it was a ride I loved as a child during my very first trip to EPCOT with my family. It was one of the few great memories of a happy family I remember.

Oh well at least we still have a few of the pieces behind glass like a museum in EPCOT. Has anyone else found it?

lonepalm

Post by lonepalm » Jun Wed 17, 2015 5:48 am

I miss EPCOT Center as a whole. I miss Wonders of Life Pavilion, Spaceship Earth with Jeremy Irons, Living Seas, for as silly as it sounds I also miss Living with the Land with the Cast Member on the boat, and more of the other rides from the 90s (what I consider to be my personal golden time at Epcot).

Proud bandwidth donor to Subsonic Radio!

Check out disneyparksinfo.com and wdwthemeparks.com!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 17, 2015 6:08 am

lonepalm wrote:I miss EPCOT Center as a whole. I miss Wonders of Life Pavilion, Spaceship Earth with Jeremy Irons, Living Seas, for as silly as it sounds I also miss Living with the Land with the Cast Member on the boat, and more of the other rides from the 90s (what I consider to be my personal golden time at Epcot).
I do too! I'm glad I was able to experience EPCOT as it was in the beginning, even if I was young, I still have memories of all the original attractions.

kelpseaweedkelp

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Jun Wed 17, 2015 4:46 pm

Blackie Pueblo wrote:
Oh well at least we still have a few of the pieces behind glass like a museum in EPCOT. Has anyone else found it?
No! Where!? :ccat:

JWG
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by JWG » Jun Wed 24, 2015 1:52 pm

Epcot ceased being Epcot to me in 1994 when the whole "Epcot '94" campaign started. Once 1999 rolled around it really died. Unfortunatley, I don't think the next generation, those who didn't grow up with EPCOT Center would embrace the Edutainment aspect like it tried to offer. I think long dark rides are things of the past and whatever the next iteration of Epcot is will be far different from the original.
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/HeathenAngel/Avatars%20Etc/epcot-fan.gif[/img][/url][url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/budz211/horizons.gif[/img][/url]
[img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/space-mountain2.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/SR_fan.gif[/img]

Blackie Pueblo

Post by Blackie Pueblo » Jun Tue 30, 2015 12:00 am

kelpseaweedkelp wrote:
Blackie Pueblo wrote:
I can't think of the name of the building but behind the world cola building. I'm totally drawing a blank here. Where you try the different sodas, if you go through to the other side on the right side outside is a building that holds some bathrooms I believe. There use to be a case in there that had some stuff. Not sure if it is still there.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Tue 30, 2015 6:24 am

Blackie Pueblo wrote:
kelpseaweedkelp wrote:
Blackie Pueblo wrote:
I can't think of the name of the building but behind the world cola building. I'm totally drawing a blank here. Where you try the different sodas, if you go through to the other side on the right side outside is a building that holds some bathrooms I believe. There use to be a case in there that had some stuff. Not sure if it is still there.
Is it inside one of the Innoventions buildings? The ones that used to be Communicore East and West?