Who else misses Horizons at EPCOT Center?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

grimmghosts96
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Re: Who else misses Horizons at EPCOT Center?

Post by grimmghosts96 » Jan Wed 21, 2015 8:54 am

Horizons was always my favorite EPCOT ride. Next to World of Motion and Spaceship Earth. I loved the part on Horizons when you could choose your scene and the sides would go up on your ride vehicle and your scene would begin playing.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 21, 2015 5:09 pm

grimmghosts96 wrote:Horizons was always my favorite EPCOT ride. Next to World of Motion and Spaceship Earth. I loved the part on Horizons when you could choose your scene and the sides would go up on your ride vehicle and your scene would begin playing.
I loved Horizons too ~ and the choosing your own ending was so cool! I'm glad we were lucky enough to have longer trips so we could choose each one of the endings at least once on our trips. And my Dad would always let me push the extra buttons in the car so I got to see which one I wanted :D

Polynesian Princess
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by Polynesian Princess » Jan Thu 22, 2015 2:46 am

The choose your own ending is one of the things I remember best about my early trips to WDW. I remember lamenting to my parents that we couldn't ride it enough times in one trip to experience all of the different endings. I took it very seriously when deciding which ending I would choose (space was probably my favorite). I remember one trip I took too long deciding, so the ride picked for you. I don't remember now which one it was, but I remember that it was the one I had already "eliminated" and I was incredibly upset about getting that one (I was really young). :lol:
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 22, 2015 9:19 am

Polynesian Princess wrote:The choose your own ending is one of the things I remember best about my early trips to WDW. I remember lamenting to my parents that we couldn't ride it enough times in one trip to experience all of the different endings. I took it very seriously when deciding which ending I would choose (space was probably my favorite). I remember one trip I took too long deciding, so the ride picked for you. I don't remember now which one it was, but I remember that it was the one I had already "eliminated" and I was incredibly upset about getting that one (I was really young). :lol:
:lol: :lol: I remember the attraction picking for me sometimes too ~ sometimes it was a relief to not have to decide though ~ so much pressure when you are little :shock: :lol:

kelpseaweedkelp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Jan Thu 22, 2015 3:13 pm

Yes so much pressure!
Also.....did any of you battle with your siblings about the ending and then all start pushing all the buttons over and over on top of each other and hoped your pick came out?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 22, 2015 9:32 pm

kelpseaweedkelp wrote:Yes so much pressure!
Also.....did any of you battle with your siblings about the ending and then all start pushing all the buttons over and over on top of each other and hoped your pick came out?
:lol: We probably would have, but my brothers never went to EPCOT with us as they were in college by the time we went. It's good to be the youngest! :D

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Tue 27, 2015 10:42 am

I think my favorite ending was Mesa Verde...it was cool flying through the same area that you passed earlier in the ride. The space one was awesome though...back when every kid wanted to be an astronaut.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Tue 27, 2015 10:44 am

Oh...and I didn't know this...but Star Tours in Japan has the Horizons endings playing in the queue. Not sure if it is still like that...maybe someone here who frequents can let us know. I think acp is the last one of us to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skH-DPtbp3Y

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 27, 2015 2:58 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:Oh...and I didn't know this...but Star Tours in Japan has the Horizons endings playing in the queue. Not sure if it is still like that...maybe someone here who frequents can let us know. I think acp is the last one of us to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skH-DPtbp3Y
Fun! Star Tours wasn't even at TDL when I went in 2003. I would guess the movie would still be there since the attraction is still relatively new, but I think you are right BIG and acp was the last one there.

grimmghosts96

Post by grimmghosts96 » Jan Wed 28, 2015 11:05 am

I loved Horizons. Rode it many times as a kid. Check out this site I came across the other day. It's a great tribute to Horizons

http://horizonsresurrected.com/

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Wed 28, 2015 2:46 pm

grimmghosts96 wrote:I loved Horizons. Rode it many times as a kid. Check out this site I came across the other day. It's a great tribute to Horizons

http://horizonsresurrected.com/
I've been following his progress for years now and sadly, I think he's given up because of how much work it takes to make what he originally wanted to make.

He essentially tried to build the attraction from scratch and it hasn't been easy. I wish someone else could pick up where he left off but I doubt anyone will.

Polynesian Princess

Post by Polynesian Princess » Jan Wed 28, 2015 5:55 pm

When my sister got old enough to choose, one of us rode with our grandparents and the other with our parents to avoid this very problem. :lol:
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 28, 2015 9:41 pm

Polynesian Princess wrote:
When my sister got old enough to choose, one of us rode with our grandparents and the other with our parents to avoid this very problem. :lol:
You had smart parents and grandparents!

kelpseaweedkelp

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Jan Thu 29, 2015 1:32 pm

Polynesian Princess wrote:
Ha! Smart move!
That seems like a real downside to parenting - not being able to have any say in the Horizons ending.

Thumper1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Thumper1 » Mar Sun 01, 2015 3:06 pm

When did this attraction close? I never got to ride it but it sounds like I missed out on something good!!!! :(