Who else misses Horizons at EPCOT Center?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Re: Who else misses Horizons at EPCOT Center?

Post by cousininmiami » Sep Wed 17, 2014 11:18 am

I think what was so awesome about EPCOT Center originally is that everything tied together in Future World so nicely. The Living Seas tied into the underwater cities in Horizon's, the Space living in Horizon's tied into Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land in the Land area tied into the Desert Farming area of Horizon's! And everything seemed to tie into Communicore East and West. I know there are many more examples, but these are the ones that come to mind. Now although Epcot is still my "happy" place to go to, it is more disjointed and not connected to the various pavilions. I will always regard Horizon's as my favorite ride/attraction in any Disney park!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

kelpseaweedkelp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Sep Wed 17, 2014 12:50 pm

I never even thought of that...you are completely correct. Wow. Disney!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 17, 2014 5:18 pm

cousininmiami wrote:I think what was so awesome about EPCOT Center originally is that everything tied together in Future World so nicely. The Living Seas tied into the underwater cities in Horizon's, the Space living in Horizon's tied into Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land in the Land area tied into the Desert Farming area of Horizon's! And everything seemed to tie into Communicore East and West. I know there are many more examples, but these are the ones that come to mind. Now although Epcot is still my "happy" place to go to, it is more disjointed and not connected to the various pavilions. I will always regard Horizon's as my favorite ride/attraction in any Disney park!
kelpseaweedkelp wrote:I never even thought of that...you are completely correct. Wow. Disney!
I don't know that I really thought that much about it either ~ very cool observation cousininmiami! And I very much agree, I still like EPCOT very much, but it's just not the same anymore :(

rmorton50

Post by rmorton50 » Nov Sun 02, 2014 9:50 pm

I loved Horizons, too, and saw it as a Carousel of Progress II myself. I listen to the music all the time; it's happy, positive music to work by. Some say it was outdated, but we're not living in space or at the bottom of the ocean yet (at least, not very many of us). We don't have holographic phones yet. I'd love to see some forward-looking attraction come back in. It also pains me to see the Wonders of Life building in disuse. Surely something entertaining and informative, in the good old-fashioned Disney style, could be put in there and be a popular attraction. We're looking forward to our trip in Oct 2015 with the kids and grandkids!

L3PCT
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by L3PCT » Nov Mon 17, 2014 1:26 pm

Me!! and the old Journey into the Imagination, and World of Motion and now Maelstrom. :cry:

Marty Moose
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Marty Moose » Nov Tue 18, 2014 2:58 pm

I don't really remember Horizons. But what I do miss is the idea of edu-tainment that was the original Future World. I like the amusement park that it has become / is becoming, and probably wouldn't have any regrets if that is the way it started. But since I remember EPCOT Center, I miss the World of Motion and hydrolators.
"Park's closed. Moose out front should have told ya."

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Nov Wed 19, 2014 7:29 am

Marty Moose wrote:I don't really remember Horizons. But what I do miss is the idea of edu-tainment that was the original Future World. I like the amusement park that it has become / is becoming, and probably wouldn't have any regrets if that is the way it started. But since I remember EPCOT Center, I miss the World of Motion and hydrolators.
This made my day. :D
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Jungle Joe
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by Jungle Joe » Dec Thu 18, 2014 1:36 pm

Horizons was great and I do miss it. However, the two EPCOT Center attractions I miss the most are World of Motion and Kitchen Kabaret. The early years of EPCOT Center were fantastic!

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Dec Thu 18, 2014 4:38 pm

cousininmiami wrote:I think what was so awesome about EPCOT Center originally is that everything tied together in Future World so nicely. The Living Seas tied into the underwater cities in Horizon's, the Space living in Horizon's tied into Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land in the Land area tied into the Desert Farming area of Horizon's! And everything seemed to tie into Communicore East and West. I know there are many more examples, but these are the ones that come to mind. Now although Epcot is still my "happy" place to go to, it is more disjointed and not connected to the various pavilions. I will always regard Horizon's as my favorite ride/attraction in any Disney park!
This is why I am lobbying for a redo of Imagination to become the new Horizons. If you think about it, Horizons was an imaginative vision for future living. You could use the Imagination pavilion and ride vehicles as is. The show would be shorter, but still doable in my opinion.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Dec Mon 29, 2014 12:49 pm

horizons1 wrote:
This is why I am lobbying for a redo of Imagination to become the new Horizons. If you think about it, Horizons was an imaginative vision for future living. You could use the Imagination pavilion and ride vehicles as is. The show would be shorter, but still doable in my opinion.
Wouldn't that be awesome? I really loved Horizons.... and to see it again or something like it would be fabulous!
I remember one time in around 1998 I think, I got on Horizon's and mentioned to the CM that it would be wonderful if the ride stopped during the IMAX movie so I could watch it all straight through! Well, low and behold the ride stopped in just the right place! I was in awe just relishing in how incredible the movie was and how happy I was that the ride stopped. When I got off the ride the CM asked me if the ride stopped in the right place? I was completely giddy and asked if they did that for me? They of course said yes, and I thanked them and thanked them! Now if I could only figure out some kind of time travel to go back again....
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Tue 30, 2014 8:29 am

cousininmiami wrote:....I remember one time in around 1998 I think, I got on Horizon's and mentioned to the CM that it would be wonderful if the ride stopped during the IMAX movie so I could watch it all straight through! Well, low and behold the ride stopped in just the right place! I was in awe just relishing in how incredible the movie was and how happy I was that the ride stopped. When I got off the ride the CM asked me if the ride stopped in the right place? I was completely giddy and asked if they did that for me? They of course said yes, and I thanked them and thanked them! Now if I could only figure out some kind of time travel to go back again....
That is so cool! What an awesome thing for them to have done ~ how long is the movie? Do you remember? That would have been so neat!! :goofy_bounce:

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Dec Tue 30, 2014 9:42 am

Amy wrote:
cousininmiami wrote:....I remember one time in around 1998 I think, I got on Horizon's and mentioned to the CM that it would be wonderful if the ride stopped during the IMAX movie so I could watch it all straight through! Well, low and behold the ride stopped in just the right place! I was in awe just relishing in how incredible the movie was and how happy I was that the ride stopped. When I got off the ride the CM asked me if the ride stopped in the right place? I was completely giddy and asked if they did that for me? They of course said yes, and I thanked them and thanked them! Now if I could only figure out some kind of time travel to go back again....
That is so cool! What an awesome thing for them to have done ~ how long is the movie? Do you remember? That would have been so neat!! :goofy_bounce:
The whole movie wasn't long, maybe 3 minutes. I'm sure one of our Horizon's experts would know the exact time. :shock: Have you ever seen the movie on you tube somewhere? It's amazing. I used to love the "DNA" part where this DNA chain started spinning like a tornado... it was really cool! 8-)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Tue 30, 2014 5:36 pm

cousininmiami wrote:
Amy wrote:
The whole movie wasn't long, maybe 3 minutes. I'm sure one of our Horizon's experts would know the exact time. :shock: Have you ever seen the movie on you tube somewhere? It's amazing. I used to love the "DNA" part where this DNA chain started spinning like a tornado... it was really cool! 8-)
I'm going to have a look on youtube later ~ I only remember the movie vaguely, but I always loved the music in that room!

sag746
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by sag746 » Jan Sun 04, 2015 2:37 pm

My wife and I love G.E. Horizons.
You were able to pick your future, and the music was cool. I guess its been gone for about ten years.
Hope you have a great day

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sun 04, 2015 2:43 pm

More like 15, it closed in 99 and Mission: Space opened in 2003.