Theories on the recent maintenance to Tomorrowland?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

awertt
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Theories on the recent maintenance to Tomorrowland?

Post by awertt » Jun Wed 25, 2014 1:55 am

I'm talking about the Peoplemover and Astro Orbiter. Since the refurb is going on in the summer, which is unusual for a refurb (since the high amount of visitors), I don't think this will be just a minor refurb.
Also, post news as time passes.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Theories on the recent maintenance to Tomorrowland?

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Thu 26, 2014 5:01 pm

It probably is just a repair refurb, as in do not expect any new experiences/scenes to show up. If I remember correctly, doesn't astro not operate when it rains? Even though it is the busy season, it is also a pretty rainy season as well, so a shutdown for repairs would not be as impactful.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 26, 2014 6:34 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:It probably is just a repair refurb, as in do not expect any new experiences/scenes to show up. If I remember correctly, doesn't astro not operate when it rains? Even though it is the busy season, it is also a pretty rainy season as well, so a shutdown for repairs would not be as impactful.
You are correct, I don't believe the Astro Orbiter operates when it is wet. And if you think of how long the track is for the People Mover, shutting down for a few months isn't out of the realm of possibility for refurb.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Thu 26, 2014 8:17 pm

I think the DLR version, which is at ground level, does operate in the rain, so I am guessing the only reason they don't go in rain would be slip and fall concerns.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 26, 2014 8:46 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I think the DLR version, which is at ground level, does operate in the rain, so I am guessing the only reason they don't go in rain would be slip and fall concerns.
With it being up in the air, I think lightning is a concern as well.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Jul Wed 02, 2014 10:08 pm

Last time I drove by, I noticed that the entire Astro Orbiter structure (ride itself) was gone as were the planets (that are supposed to spin). For what it's worth, Astro Orbiter had a major refurb back in 05 and the planets were spinning like they were supposed to, then a few months later, they all stopped spinning. If you've ever seen them spin, it looks bad when they don't, even if it's been close to a decade since they last spun and basically "normal" looking.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Jul Wed 02, 2014 10:12 pm

Amy wrote:You are correct, I don't believe the Astro Orbiter operates when it is wet. And if you think of how long the track is for the People Mover, shutting down for a few months isn't out of the realm of possibility for refurb.
One of my favorite memories of working in Tomorrowland was working Astro Orbiter during Hurricane Wilma. The ride system has to spin or something happens that will shut it down for maintenance. That night, there were no guests but yes, Astro Orbiter was running in the rain that night. Unless something changed, it probably still does.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Wed 02, 2014 10:25 pm

The weird thing is that DLR's originally did spin all the time, but shortly after it opened it stopped working/was shut off (I think it still is, I never look at it so I can't remember). The totally stripped thing isn't any reason to suspect removal though, when they did it for DLR they took it apart and did a paint refresh on it while other work was being done.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Thu 03, 2014 8:12 am

I don't think the Astro Orbiter is going away either. I would think they are doing a complete overhaul with paint, and it makes more sense they would take it completely apart to do that. I do hope they restore the spinning planets as that was pretty cool to see!