New ride closure rumors

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: New ride closure rumors

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sat 09, 2014 11:00 am

Don't forget the likely refurbishment or outright re-dressing of the areas inside the attraction.

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Aug Sun 10, 2014 9:31 pm

Len90 wrote:I just got back from WDW and the Maelstrom Frozen overlay is the big talk right now. It is also well known that Soarin' is going to be changing. From what I gathered talking to some people is that the Soarin' changes will be different for both California and Florida. California will receive an updated film (basically a few new/updated scenes, with the ending being updated pretty much confirmed) and will receive 4K projection, something that is long overdue for that attraction. I am sick of seeing dust on the film strip. In Florida the talk is to be Soarin over America with it covering vast landmarks across the USA. So far rumor has Grand Canyon, NYC, and both Disney parks featured. The attraction will also receive new 4K projection and possibly have a different musical score. There will be no changes to the appearance of the attraction.

As for GMR: I heard nothing about that being shut for a Star Wars. I did hear that Indiana Jones and Lights/Motor/Action will leave to make way for the Star Wars stuff.

Avatarland at DAK: lots of cranes in place and soon vertical construction should be seen. Pilings are in/ being put in right now.

Disney Springs: Downtown Disney is just a mess right now.
And this is coming from the person who said to me last year that he doesn't believe in any Soarin until TDC announced it (just kidding)

Yes this has been in the works for a while. Hong Kong looks like they will receive a new video for their upcoming Soarin ride first and then new videos for the U.S. 2016 date in the U.S is looking good

I wish I can say the same for Star Wars, we most likely won't see anything built to completion till 2020 (avatar will be done first before SW begins). The talks for the Disneyland version have increased lately. One of the options is to place the land in Toontown.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Mon 11, 2014 6:22 am

I hope they leave DL's Toontown alone!

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Aug Mon 11, 2014 9:14 am

Place Star Wars in Toontown? That doesn't make much sense. I assume you mean "replace" Toontown with Star Wars...which again doesn't make sense as DL's Toontown is actually well-done and I assume gets a decent amount of traffic as opposed to Mickey's Toontown Fair from WDW which got very little traffic.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Aug Mon 11, 2014 7:03 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:Place Star Wars in Toontown? That doesn't make much sense. I assume you mean "replace" Toontown with Star Wars...which again doesn't make sense as DL's Toontown is actually well-done and I assume gets a decent amount of traffic as opposed to Mickey's Toontown Fair from WDW which got very little traffic.
Yes I meant replace. It does help spread more of the stroller crowds out more in Disneyland. It will be interesting to see how it goes forward

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Mon 11, 2014 9:10 pm

That wouldn't make sense to have a land that closes hours before the park either. Because of the bottleneck design (only one way in and out) it had major issues with crowds and as it is near the fireworks launch site (the sky ones, not the low level ones) it has to close for safety.

That and it is nowhere near anything relevant to the subject.

aboden
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by aboden » Aug Thu 14, 2014 10:03 am

I've thought about making a trip back to Disney Hong Kong, just me musing lol been 4 years since I went last.

I never liked ToonTown, probably because I don't have kids and it was put in after I was out of my kiddie phase even though I still adore WDW. It wasn't a place with many memories growing up.
"Please stand clear of the doors/Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas"

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Aug Fri 15, 2014 7:29 pm

Talks are going around that the first "Phase" of Pandora is aimed for a 2017 date. The boat ride that is planned will not be part of the 2017 opening and will open later (looking around a year or two after)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 17, 2014 2:44 pm

aboden wrote:I've thought about making a trip back to Disney Hong Kong, just me musing lol been 4 years since I went last.

I never liked ToonTown, probably because I don't have kids and it was put in after I was out of my kiddie phase even though I still adore WDW. It wasn't a place with many memories growing up.
I enjoyed some of the stuff in WDW's Toon Town even though I didn't experience it until I was older. I think I was just intrigued by the all the intricate decor and theme there. DL's Toon Town is 100 times better, mostly with the addition of Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin I suppose. Plus it seems bigger and better planned out. I like the Jolly Trolley there too, but it seemed to be very hit or miss on whether it was ever running or not.
Cardinals314 wrote:Talks are going around that the first "Phase" of Pandora is aimed for a 2017 date. The boat ride that is planned will not be part of the 2017 opening and will open later (looking around a year or two after)
I like the idea of the boat ride. Too bad that isn't in the first phase.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sun 17, 2014 8:43 pm

Don't forget it most likely is tied to the next or the third film, so if they released an attraction before the film it could spoil (aka f*ck up the franchise's canon) with plotlines that hadn't happened yet.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Aug Mon 18, 2014 7:32 pm

It wouldn't make sense to put Star Wars directly in DL's Toontown. It would feel so out of place.

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Aug Mon 18, 2014 11:03 pm

That's what I thought of as well at first. I wouldn't think the TL area there could handle a large star wars area. Also it seems like that the area of Toontown isn't as utilized as it currently is. This is a WDW thread so I guess we should head back in that direction.

In non rumor news, it is a bit sad in my opinion that the AFI exhibit after the backlot tour is no more. It was such a nice exhibit. I haven't really heard what they are going to do with that area