New ride closure rumors

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: New ride closure rumors

Post by Wizzard419 » May Sat 24, 2014 12:37 am

MM+ (still waiting on verifiable data showing the figures that it cost over a billion, even Disney's fiscal reports aren't showing that) would only count as impacting if these were not projects in dire need of updates for over a decade.

It is not unheard of for Disney to announced major projects and then simply never move forward with them. Such as the one at DHS (back when it was MGM). Back in the 90's Disney was working on a book franchise that was supposed to rival Harry Potter and in the plans they had announced in their magazine (complete with concepts, art, etc.) that there would be a new land in DHS. The books never meshed with the demographics and the entire project was canned.

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » May Sat 24, 2014 8:31 am

Disney will never show actually how much MM+ really is. They will just move numbers around in their budget to make it look good. Any project worked on takes into account the budget. MM+ has certainly affected the budget. The extra cost has pushed back planned/rumored projects for Disney. Avatar was delayed so long because of it.

It's sad that Disney was approached and asked if they wanted the park rights to Harry Potter before Universal. One of Disney's big mistakes was saying no.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sat 24, 2014 11:28 am

Wizzard419 wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:Good point. That is an advantage that Soarin' has over most other attractions.

However...you will still have some downtime while Concourse B is being updated because they will want to do a "Grand Opening" before showing the new version. So you'd have Concourse A shutdown for updating...with Concourse B showing the current version...then both closed while B gets updated.
Yep, but your downtime will presumably be shorter since only one theater would need to be worked on. Though it could be super fast once they have an approved program for one side and they could transfer it over for fine tuning, scent cannon change over, etc. Or it could have been built so that both theaters are using the exact same program and changing one changes both. :D

If they do actually go through with it, they probably would want to keep the ride down as little as possible since it is one of the most popular things at the park (Though it is funny how the present DCA wait is less than half of what the Epcot's wait is right now).
I wonder if they do have a shared program for both theaters? I would be inclined to think it is separate simply because they operate independently of one another.
I know you say the DCA version isn't as popular anymore, but we sure waited a really long time when we were there in December!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sat 24, 2014 11:33 am

Cardinals314 wrote:.... Also many people forget that there is an empty building right next to Toy Story Midway Mania. When will Disney decide to ever use that space (probably for something Pixar related)....
What was in the empty building before? Was that a walk-through type of movie based attraction?

I do think Indy's days are numbered. It is still a big draw, and it can handle a ton of guests all at once, but I think the lure of something Star Wars related will be too difficult to ignore. As for Beauty and the Beast, isn't that slated for closure or re-tooling already? And I'm thinking the Lights, Motor, Action show might not be around long either. That has got to be a very expensive production to put on with all the vehicles and stunt people.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Sat 24, 2014 12:27 pm

The DCA version only gets busy during peak times, but never gets as bad as Epcot, probably because there are more attractions to choose from.
Cardinals314 wrote:Disney will never show actually how much MM+ really is. They will just move numbers around in their budget to make it look good. Any project worked on takes into account the budget. MM+ has certainly affected the budget. The extra cost has pushed back planned/rumored projects for Disney. Avatar was delayed so long because of it.

It's sad that Disney was approached and asked if they wanted the park rights to Harry Potter before Universal. One of Disney's big mistakes was saying no.
Check a shareholder report, you would see unusual spikes for the division if it cost $1BN+

It's not actually that sad, there is one very nasty part to harry potter deals. Once that contract expires you have to strip the brand from everything. So now USO is in a perpetual contract with JK Rowling's people for a franchise that people will not care about in 10 years. They might like the rides, but they won't care about the characters.

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » May Sat 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:The DCA version only gets busy during peak times, but never gets as bad as Epcot, probably because there are more attractions to choose from.

Check a shareholder report, you would see unusual spikes for the division if it cost $1BN+

It's not actually that sad, there is one very nasty part to harry potter deals. Once that contract expires you have to strip the brand from everything. So now USO is in a perpetual contract with JK Rowling's people for a franchise that people will not care about in 10 years. They might like the rides, but they won't care about the characters.
I didn't know about that in the Harry Potter contracts. That's pretty interesting. I do enjoy these conversations between you and I by the way.

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » May Sun 25, 2014 7:05 am

Amy wrote:
Cardinals314 wrote:.... Also many people forget that there is an empty building right next to Toy Story Midway Mania. When will Disney decide to ever use that space (probably for something Pixar related)....
What was in the empty building before? Was that a walk-through type of movie based attraction?

I do think Indy's days are numbered. It is still a big draw, and it can handle a ton of guests all at once, but I think the lure of something Star Wars related will be too difficult to ignore. As for Beauty and the Beast, isn't that slated for closure or re-tooling already? And I'm thinking the Lights, Motor, Action show might not be around long either. That has got to be a very expensive production to put on with all the vehicles and stunt people.
And the propane!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I didn't go watch this particular show last time because I've seen it twice before. And I've never seen Indy, nor have I any inclination to do so. DHS has always been a half-day park for me. I enjoy many of the attractions, but the layout is idiotic and there's so much dead space... Ah I've ranted about this before. :)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sun 25, 2014 8:24 am

cy1229 wrote:And the propane!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
I didn't go watch this particular show last time because I've seen it twice before. And I've never seen Indy, nor have I any inclination to do so. DHS has always been a half-day park for me. I enjoy many of the attractions, but the layout is idiotic and there's so much dead space... Ah I've ranted about this before. :)
DHS does have some weird dead ends ~ I always used to get lost the first time or two we visited the back streets of New York there :roll: We enjoy the shows so we find plenty to do there, but it seems like a park in need of a freshening up of several attractions. I doubt much will be happening in any of the parks until Avatarland is all done though, and they've found a way to capitalize on the popularity of Frozen.

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » May Sun 25, 2014 2:20 pm

The empty building used to be a part of the old backlit tour as well as the backstage pass until it closed in 2001. The building is used now for only special events such as Star Wars weekends. Right now the special weekends shop is there

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by rphillips14 » May Sun 25, 2014 2:38 pm

Here are my thoughts...

Maelstrom: I'm surprised Frozen hasn't already taken this over. OK ride (I think every Country in Epcot needs a ride like Mexico and Norway). I'm less excited about this one than any of the others.

Great Movie Ride: My kids didn't know 1 movie on that ride and I only knew about 3/4 and I'm 49!! Update needed BAD!!!!

Soarin': I have NEVER understood why a California based attraction was allowed to be placed in Florida. should have never happened but I would love to see Soarin re-tooled like Star Tours to be a surprise trip each time-That would be awesome!!

Poly Fountains: I haven't seen them but I will try on our next trip.

Captain E/O: Just a sad, dated attraction. Heck, "Thriller" would be more enjoyable-at least we can all dance to it.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Sun 25, 2014 3:15 pm

From what I understand, the fountain demolition has already begun. Judging by the photos it looks like the central atrium of an Embassy Suites hotel. :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sun 25, 2014 9:58 pm

rphillips14 wrote:...Poly Fountains: I haven't seen them but I will try on our next trip...
Wizzard419 wrote:From what I understand, the fountain demolition has already begun. Judging by the photos it looks like the central atrium of an Embassy Suites hotel. :D
Yup, I believe Wizzard is correct and the fountain demolition is in progress. But maybe you can check out the new Trader Sam's when you go!
Cardinals314 wrote:The empty building used to be a part of the old backlit tour as well as the backstage pass until it closed in 2001. The building is used now for only special events such as Star Wars weekends. Right now the special weekends shop is there
Ok, yup, that's the one I was thinking of. That helps me place the pictures I have seen of the Star Wars special merchandise shop too ~ I had wondered where that was.

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » May Mon 26, 2014 9:47 am

They actually used to have the shop next to the Aerosmith ride. I believe in past SW weekends they used the empty building for other SW stuff such as replica spacecraft.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Tue 27, 2014 12:20 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Not a "no-brainer", actually it's a terrible idea because when you tie something to a franchise, your ride becomes stale within a few years of whatever the latest release is.

"Soarin' 2" still has not had anything confirmed, so presumed to not be real until announced since a ride with an hour+ wait does not need a content update.

The reason DHS was built was because they wanted to compete with USO, USO has changed their methodology, continuing on the old tactic of USO would be bad, therefore gut the building and put something relevant in. If you question this, realize that in 1994 they also learned that the "Theme park in a movie studio" theme did not work and started making every experience an immersive one.
Maybe it's a "no-brainer" in the sense the person who came up with had "no brains". I have a feeling it will be more like Gran Fiesta Tour overlay they did El Rio Del Tiempo. If you think about what they did with that ride, it wouldn't be too hard to change it back (much like they were able to do with the Tiki Birds over at MK).

TBF, almost all rides become stale after a few years, which is why they need so update refurb.

If comparing to USO, remember USO will tear out an attraction entirely and put something else in its place. Jaws out, Diagon Alley in. Disney seems to rarely do that. Look how long they've kept the IJ Stunt Show around. I think USO strategy has worked for them. I do think Disney needs to consider it too for their studio theme-park.

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » May Tue 27, 2014 5:37 pm

So I have heard that supposedly Imagineer George Scribner confirmed that WDI is working on a redo of the ride with a Frozen overlay while on the Disney Wonder this past week. I am not sure he had any intention of saying what he did, but he supposedly did. There is rumor that Olaf will be narrating the Norway film afterwards, but that wasn't stated.