New Hard Ticket Events Coming to WDW.

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

New Hard Ticket Events Coming to WDW.

Post by Wizzard419 » May Thu 08, 2014 4:56 pm

I'm guessing the MK stuff is strong enough as a contender that other opportunities look appealing.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/05/08/ ... eme-parks/

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Re: New Hard Ticket Events Coming to WDW.

Post by theBIGyowski » May Fri 09, 2014 10:10 am

I wonder if the model will turn more to onsite guests getting in free (like EMH) and charging offsite guests extra. Or you could get a discount on the hard ticket prices if you are staying onsite...perhaps with Deluxe resorts being free and then the discounts go down from there depending on the resort level.

Really though...is there that big of a demand for entertainment into the night? Most of the time I have done evening EMH, the parks have been less crowded once the nighttime shows (Wishes/Illuminations) are over. I guess Disney figures if more people stay in the parks, they'll more than likely buy more food or make more dinner ADRs.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Fri 09, 2014 10:27 am

I wonder how popular the Animal Kingdom offering will be. I'm guessing the EPCOT after hours party will be pretty popular with the price so low, but the price for the AK event is pretty high. It would be neat to see, but I doubt I would pay over $100 for a celebrity narrated Lion King performance and food that I probably would not recognize. It will be interesting to see what happens.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » May Fri 09, 2014 12:42 pm

Amy wrote:I wonder how popular the Animal Kingdom offering will be. I'm guessing the EPCOT after hours party will be pretty popular with the price so low, but the price for the AK event is pretty high. It would be neat to see, but I doubt I would pay over $100 for a celebrity narrated Lion King performance and food that I probably would not recognize. It will be interesting to see what happens.
So if the 4 of us (me, hubby, daughter #1 aged 19, daughter #2 aged 15) wanted to go to the AK event, we'd be shelling out almost $500. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yeah. No. No freaking way. We could watch the Lion King show during regular park hours, then go to Boma for dinner, for less money. A LOT less. Crikey.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Fri 09, 2014 2:43 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:I wonder if the model will turn more to onsite guests getting in free (like EMH) and charging offsite guests extra. Or you could get a discount on the hard ticket prices if you are staying onsite...perhaps with Deluxe resorts being free and then the discounts go down from there depending on the resort level.

Really though...is there that big of a demand for entertainment into the night? Most of the time I have done evening EMH, the parks have been less crowded once the nighttime shows (Wishes/Illuminations) are over. I guess Disney figures if more people stay in the parks, they'll more than likely buy more food or make more dinner ADRs.
I don't think it will do that, mostly because both are offering food to the guests, and I am going to guess that EMHs will be running at another park when it runs at AK/Epcot.

There might be some demand for it if the day is crowded (I think the rides will be running) and they are not interested in the options that exist now. Though I wonder what the cutoff is to make the events break even?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Fri 09, 2014 7:16 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:I wonder how popular the Animal Kingdom offering will be. I'm guessing the EPCOT after hours party will be pretty popular with the price so low, but the price for the AK event is pretty high. It would be neat to see, but I doubt I would pay over $100 for a celebrity narrated Lion King performance and food that I probably would not recognize. It will be interesting to see what happens.
So if the 4 of us (me, hubby, daughter #1 aged 19, daughter #2 aged 15) wanted to go to the AK event, we'd be shelling out almost $500. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yeah. No. No freaking way. We could watch the Lion King show during regular park hours, then go to Boma for dinner, for less money. A LOT less. Crikey.
Yeah, that's the thing. Even for a couple it isn't inexpensive. Of course you don't get the celebrity experience, but unless it is a celebrity you really, really like, is it worth the added expense?
Wizzard419 wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:I wonder if the model will turn more to onsite guests getting in free (like EMH) and charging offsite guests extra. Or you could get a discount on the hard ticket prices if you are staying onsite...perhaps with Deluxe resorts being free and then the discounts go down from there depending on the resort level.

I don't think it will do that, mostly because both are offering food to the guests, and I am going to guess that EMHs will be running at another park when it runs at AK/Epcot.

There might be some demand for it if the day is crowded (I think the rides will be running) and they are not interested in the options that exist now. Though I wonder what the cutoff is to make the events break even?
It doesn't really sound like either of the events is going to offer attractions as part of the package. It sounds like simply food and drink, and of course the show at AK. Of course that could change. Especially if people balk at the price at AK

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Fri 09, 2014 8:17 pm

Yeah, if they aren't offering rides it might be a hard sell. I understand the increased price for AK since performers make more than the meat puppets in the parks, but if the most you get at Epcot is snacks and no entertainment it would be kind of a waste.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Fri 09, 2014 9:03 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Yeah, if they aren't offering rides it might be a hard sell. I understand the increased price for AK since performers make more than the meat puppets in the parks, but if the most you get at Epcot is snacks and no entertainment it would be kind of a waste.
It looks like there is alcohol at the EPCOT one so that helps explain the price of that one. I wonder if the celebrities receive any other form of compensation beyond a free vacation at the parks?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Sat 10, 2014 12:02 am

Alcohol is relatively cheap, what you pay in a dining establishment is about a 300% markup. I'm not totally sure they get free experiences since there is no promotional value in one taking a secret private trip vs one where they will post about it and appear in promos.

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by rphillips14 » May Sat 10, 2014 6:16 am

Disney's "Hard Events" like the Halloween and Christmas parties as well as all the tours and such have been way overpriced for years. But why does Disney do it-because we go in droves and pay for it but they can't fix an animaltronic Yeti????!!!!

BTW: Can't wait to go back in October!!!!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Sat 10, 2014 12:50 pm

Over-priced might not be fully accurate though, when you are having to pay for staff to work it as well as only serving a small population vs the normal park.

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by rphillips14 » May Sun 11, 2014 3:14 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Over-priced might not be fully accurate though, when you are having to pay for staff to work it as well as only serving a small population vs the normal park.
True, I guess it's which end of the dollar your holding.

UncleScrooge477
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by UncleScrooge477 » May Sun 11, 2014 4:30 pm

Okay - cost aside, I really really REALLY like AK after dark. It is hard to find late-evening times when it is dark enough to see it, but the theme and lighting after dark (or late dusk) is really pretty.

Now, with cost - uhmmm, yeah, it seems pricey. But once I buy enough DVC points to spend 52 weeks each year in either the 3 bedroom townhouse at the Contemporary (or maybe one of those over-the-water bungalows at the Poly) then I'm guessing the $119 pp will seem affordable. Well, once the powerball decides that I'm The ONE, then we will see!
UncleScrooge477

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » May Mon 12, 2014 1:05 am

UncleScrooge477 wrote:?.. Well, once the powerball decides that I'm The ONE, then we will see!
...which will happen, of course, after WE are "the ones." :D
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Mon 12, 2014 6:57 am

UncleScrooge477 wrote:Okay - cost aside, I really really REALLY like AK after dark. It is hard to find late-evening times when it is dark enough to see it, but the theme and lighting after dark (or late dusk) is really pretty.

Now, with cost - uhmmm, yeah, it seems pricey. But once I buy enough DVC points to spend 52 weeks each year in either the 3 bedroom townhouse at the Contemporary (or maybe one of those over-the-water bungalows at the Poly) then I'm guessing the $119 pp will seem affordable. Well, once the powerball decides that I'm The ONE, then we will see!
It gets fairly dark while we are there in December, but we did really enjoy the one time we were able to enjoy the evening EMH at the AK. The park was so pretty all lit up and shiny at night :D