Must See/Do at Disney World NOT in Theme parks?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

keneka
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Re: Must See/Do at Disney World NOT in Theme parks?

Post by keneka » Jun Sun 08, 2014 7:12 am

Sounds like you had a great time, I love the different resorts & what they have to offer. We always stay at Port Orleans Riverside - they have carriage rides, surrey bikes (and normal bikes), movies outside playing at night, campfires (just a short walk to French Quarter) as well as ferry boats going to Downtown - I think more people should resort-hop rather than just park-hop - they have so much to offer.

Monakie78
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Monakie78 » Jun Tue 10, 2014 1:01 pm

keneka wrote:Sounds like you had a great time, I love the different resorts & what they have to offer. We always stay at Port Orleans Riverside - they have carriage rides, surrey bikes (and normal bikes), movies outside playing at night, campfires (just a short walk to French Quarter) as well as ferry boats going to Downtown - I think more people should resort-hop rather than just park-hop - they have so much to offer.

I thought about packing smore fixins for the campfire, but we had enough to pack. Then a couple families showed up with their own smore fixins and my kids cried. Ahhh! Lesson learned.

kelpseaweedkelp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Jun Tue 10, 2014 2:45 pm

Monakie78 wrote:
Amy wrote:Wow ~ sounds like you had a great time without hitting the parks. I remember when I was a kid, the best part about vacation was swimming in the pool too! Knowing that you have a trip planned in just a few months probably made it a bit easier for you too didn't it?
Yes, Amy. Knowing I'd be back in October did make it easier. Before we got there, I was confident that we would not go to a theme park. Once we got there, it was so hard to not want to go to at least one. If I could have broke my husband, we would have gone to EPCOT. He was determined to not let me cave. I got a new Mickey purse out of the deal for not caving in....but my husband is making me wait until my Birthday in a couple of weeks. He's such a bully :wink:

-Monica

That is QUITE some willpower y'all had. Holy cow. I don't think I would of been able to

dwellsbct

Post by dwellsbct » Jun Fri 20, 2014 10:17 am

My favorite non park place to visit is the Animal Kingdom Lodge during the day and night the animals and restaurants and all the details of the place... so much to explore... then second would be the Fort Wilderness Campground to see a movie for FREE under the stars hosted by Chip and Dale!
:mickey: :goofy_bounce:
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
W.Disney

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Fri 20, 2014 8:37 pm

I would think the free movie under the stars and on the beach at the beach club resort would be even better.

Monakie78

Post by Monakie78 » Jun Tue 24, 2014 8:51 am

dwellsbct wrote:My favorite non park place to visit is the Animal Kingdom Lodge during the day and night the animals and restaurants and all the details of the place... so much to explore... then second would be the Fort Wilderness Campground to see a movie for FREE under the stars hosted by Chip and Dale!
:mickey: :goofy_bounce:

We've stayed at the Animal Kingdom lodge before & pool hopped there on a couple other trips. Recently, DVC came up with a new rule that you can NOT pool hop to Animal Kingdom at all anytime of the year. Pffff!!! So that's the main reason why we didn't visit it this time. Years ago I know that you had to show a specific pool wristband at the Beach Club during certain times of the year. I wonder if they are doing that all the time at the Animal Kingdom pool. Because we could stop in & say we just came to see the Animals & eat there, then go swim. :wink:

Would anyone happen to know, if they are requiring wristbands at some of the resorts' pools?

We did want to see the movie with Chip & Dale. That will be saved for another trip. We swam at the campground instead & did canoeing. Then went to the Hoop Dee Doo Revue. Then waddled our way over to the gift shop while trying to keep our all-you-can eat ribs down :shock: Good thing we canoed before that otherwise, we may have tipped the boats.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Tue 24, 2014 3:20 pm

I would guess with the Magic Bands, that would be how you would open the gate to the pool area...unless it isn't a gated area, but then how would they know who is using the pool?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Tue 24, 2014 5:40 pm

I thought they used your room key to allow entry, so I would imagine magic bands would be how it's done now since they hold your credentials, are waterproof, etc.

Monakie78

Post by Monakie78 » Jun Tue 24, 2014 6:18 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I thought they used your room key to allow entry, so I would imagine magic bands would be how it's done now since they hold your credentials, are waterproof, etc.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! The new rule is so bogus. It applies to the best resort pools. Must find a way in! :twisted:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Tue 24, 2014 6:52 pm

Monakie78 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:I thought they used your room key to allow entry, so I would imagine magic bands would be how it's done now since they hold your credentials, are waterproof, etc.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! The new rule is so bogus. It applies to the best resort pools. Must find a way in! :twisted:
Make friends with the CMs working at the pool?

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Sharonofwindham » Jun Tue 24, 2014 7:41 pm

Pricey, but Cirque du Soleil La Nouba is definitely a must see!!

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Jul Thu 03, 2014 3:55 pm

Monakie78 wrote:

Your room key does let you into the pools but only at your own resort. It will not work at the gate entry of any other resort either that is through the electronic entry but allows access to other resorts through scan by the guards.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Thu 03, 2014 5:39 pm

Makes sense since the pool is for the resort guests and Disney transport would probably not want every bus smelling of chlorine. :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Thu 03, 2014 7:33 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Makes sense since the pool is for the resort guests and Disney transport would probably not want every bus smelling of chlorine. :D
Not sure if that is the biggest concern, otherwise wouldn't they have a dedicated bus for the water parks?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Thu 03, 2014 8:00 pm

Hence why I said "every", since you would likely be using the transit to another park/DTD, then hop onto another bus back to your hotel to get changed.