Must See/Do at Disney World NOT in Theme parks?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Monakie78
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Must See/Do at Disney World NOT in Theme parks?

Post by Monakie78 » May Tue 06, 2014 10:18 am

Hi All,

Is it possible to visit Disney World and NOT go to a theme park? Yes! We're doing that the last week of this month. After visiting Disney World 35ish times (that's my # at least) myself and my family planned a last minute trip to Disney World with no intention on going to a theme park. The reason being is because we're going again in October & want to save our money for park tickets for that trip.

Here's what we are doing for this trip....
My dad has a Disney vacation club membership, so we're staying at Old Key West.
We are already booked for a character breakfast at Ohana.
We are already booked for the Hoop-Dee-Do-Revue.
We are going to Blizzard Beach for one day (my 3 year olds request :mickey: )
We are booked for Fulton's Crab House for a dinner.
We intend to pool hop for a limited # of pools. Disney just changed their policy on where you can pool hop to, so some pools we're not allowed to go to permanently instead of being based on the on/off season. :(

So my question....what can YOU recommend that we have to try that doesn't involve going into a theme park??? ALSO, since we're going to the Hoop-Dee-Do-Revue, I thought we would pool hop to the Fort Wilderness pool & then head to the show. Does anyone know if they have showers available to the public at Fort Wilderness? Since it does have real camping there, I thought they would. But I can't find public shower info on their website.
Last edited by Monakie78 on May Wed 07, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Re: Must See/Do at Disney World NOT in parks?

Post by theBIGyowski » May Tue 06, 2014 11:05 am

I've heard good things about Splitsville...so you could look into doing that.

Since you're doing a character breakfast at Ohana...you could spend some time after that doing a Monorail Hop where you ride the Monorail to each of the resorts and get off and walk around each one. It will help you walk off the food.

Another thing that is similar would be going to each of the EPCOT resorts and doing the same thing...walking around them and going through the lobbies and stores.

All that said...being that close to MK and EPCOT may make it difficult...knowing you won't go through the gates.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Monakie78

Post by Monakie78 » May Tue 06, 2014 11:17 am

Thanks for the suggestions! Splitsville is a good idea! I was thinking about doing a monorail ride as we've done that many times in the past, but I had the same thought that you had...it may be difficult knowing we won't be going to the parks. :(

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » May Tue 06, 2014 12:12 pm

There are a couple threads on the topic of doing other stuff in the resort outside of the parks that might give you more ideas:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6495

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7258
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » May Tue 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Cousininmiami took a trip similar to yours, and she wrote a trip report about it. Here's her TR:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8956
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Monakie78

Post by Monakie78 » May Tue 06, 2014 2:07 pm

Wow! Thanks for all the awesome suggestions everyone! A boat ride across the seven seas lagoon sounds like something we would do. I also found that you can buy dole whips at the Polynesian, not just at the park. I'm the only one in my family who has had a dole whip, so that sounds like something we're going to do.

We purchased no expiration tickets a long time ago. Of course, we used up the theme park tickets. Our tickets are still good for the water parks, which we're doing Blizzard Beach this time. But I totally forgot that our tickets also include Disney Quest. My kids are 3, 7, & 9...all are into video games. I think there should be enough for them all to do.

Thanks everyone, I have lots of ideas to work with now! Sometimes you just need to talk it out or type it out in a Disney forum to get the brainstorming flowing :)

Monakie78

Post by Monakie78 » May Tue 06, 2014 2:28 pm

Maybe going to Disney Quest is a bad idea. I just read a lot of very recent bad reviews on it. All the times we've been to Disney, we never went there.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Tue 06, 2014 3:23 pm

Monakie78 wrote:Maybe going to Disney Quest is a bad idea. I just read a lot of very recent bad reviews on it. All the times we've been to Disney, we never went there.
If you already have the tickets, you might as well check it out. If it's a bust you aren't out anything, and if the kids enjoy it, all the better!

Monakie78

Post by Monakie78 » May Tue 06, 2014 3:44 pm

Amy wrote:
Monakie78 wrote:Maybe going to Disney Quest is a bad idea. I just read a lot of very recent bad reviews on it. All the times we've been to Disney, we never went there.
If you already have the tickets, you might as well check it out. If it's a bust you aren't out anything, and if the kids enjoy it, all the better!
We have the option to save the tickets as waterpark tickets instead of Disney Quest since they are no expiration. From the recent bad reviews, that's a big turn off. Disney has always been top notch in my book, so after reading such poor remarks on Disney Quest, it must really be bad :?

After thinking about it more, I'd rather get us into all the outdoor activities that we can do and not stay inside playing video games.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Tue 06, 2014 6:14 pm

Monakie78 wrote:
Amy wrote:
We have the option to save the tickets as waterpark tickets instead of Disney Quest since they are no expiration. From the recent bad reviews, that's a big turn off. Disney has always been top notch in my book, so after reading such poor remarks on Disney Quest, it must really be bad :?

After thinking about it more, I'd rather get us into all the outdoor activities that we can do and not stay inside playing video games.
If you can save them or turn them into water park tickets, I would definitely go for that option. It does sound like Disney Quest has declined quite a lot :(

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » May Tue 06, 2014 8:29 pm

Six words:

Snorkeling with sharks at Typhoon Lagoon
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 06, 2014 10:29 pm

Doesn't the suggestion of the waterparks violate the rules of "not in the parks"? :D

You can go to Disney quest if you want, I think a major reason why it has such bad reviews would be due to the reality that the arcade died about 15 years ago.

Monakie78

Post by Monakie78 » May Wed 07, 2014 9:17 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Doesn't the suggestion of the waterparks violate the rules of "not in the parks"? :D

You can go to Disney quest if you want, I think a major reason why it has such bad reviews would be due to the reality that the arcade died about 15 years ago.
Oops I didn't say no theme parks in my main topic. But I did specify no theme parks in my actual message. You know that I know that you know what I meant anyway, so um yeah :goofy:

I already talked it out with the family. We're going to skip Disney Quest for sure. If we wanted to play video games all day, then we wouldn't leave the house.

Monakie78

Post by Monakie78 » May Wed 07, 2014 9:20 pm

cy1229 wrote:Six words:

Snorkeling with sharks at Typhoon Lagoon
This time around we're going to Blizzard Beach. But that might be an option when we go again in October. I think I'll suggest it to my husband. I have a fear of that kind of thing :shock: , but he'd do it.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Wed 07, 2014 9:46 pm

Monakie78 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:Doesn't the suggestion of the waterparks violate the rules of "not in the parks"? :D

Oops I didn't say no theme parks in my main topic. But I did specify no theme parks in my actual message. You know that I know that you know what I meant anyway, so um yeah :goofy:

I already talked it out with the family. We're going to skip Disney Quest for sure. If we wanted to play video games all day, then we wouldn't leave the house.
I'm pretty sure the imagineers, marketing teams, etc. would disagree that the water parks are not theme parks. :mrgreen: