Another MagicBand question

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Another MagicBand question

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Thu 27, 2014 6:26 pm

Now they don't, since all the tickets are RF media, but there might have been a point during the removal (since it sounds like there was) where the magnetic strip/barcode media was still being used while the old FP system was gone from some parks. But it was also a super slow time of year in Jan.

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Mar Fri 28, 2014 1:51 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:It looks like the difference between the media they would normally be issued and the bands is just the physical shape since both are still RF cards.
the cards only have non-powered near contact readability, whereas the MB's have a powered tag as well for allocating pictures from the rides to your MDE account

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Fri 28, 2014 2:34 pm

The power (or lack thereof) shouldn't be an issue since the range of the bands is not that far (to prevent accidental/secret reading) and if the other tickets are going to start working with the MDE stuff, then allocation would still be there.

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » Mar Fri 28, 2014 6:07 pm

it is just the cards cannot signal to the cameras on Splash to attach to photopass (and the antenna scattered around the park, if you prefer tinfoil hats to ballcaps)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Fri 28, 2014 6:47 pm

I don't see anything anywhere talking about how the ride (or any ride) does an on-ride scan of your band to link it to your account. Have you used it? Where does it scan you at?

I would imagine they would handle non-mb users the same way they always did in regards to photopass, just do it at the POS and you're done since there is a reader there.

kelpseaweedkelp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Mar Fri 28, 2014 6:55 pm

When I was there in Jan it just worked the same way - you said your picture number at the end of they ride then they scanned your band at the POS desk. You either just charged it to your room card or there was a very expensive option before the trip to buy all the pictures.
...or you whip out your phone really fast :)
Also, the photographer ppl all over just scan your band and the character or scene pictures just link to your account for free, which was pretty awesome

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Fri 28, 2014 9:31 pm

By the end of January, "legacy" FastPass ceased to exist. I was there in the middle of the cut-over in January...so the only parks that still had the old FP machines were EPCOT and DHS.

AFAIK, the RFID system has been the primary or sole system running in all of the Orlando parks and resorts for several months now. They've been through the MLK weekend too where crowds were high, so they've had a chance to see the system under pressure. Really though, it should operate much smoother than the old system because it doesn't have to be as fluid. The system knows exactly when your FP return times are well ahead of time. The only problems that crop up from time to time deal with hardware. One would hope Disney has done all the work needed to handle in-park bandwidth, but I'm sure there will be issues in the future because no Wi-Fi works perfectly all the time.

What the Imagineers could do for Splash is what they did for Test Track and put RFID readers at the loading point...so you would put your MB up to the reader right before you board. Then your log would pass by some kind of reader right before you go over the drop...letting the system know who in the log has Photo Pass...and automatically add it to their account. That right there is actually fairly simple and I wouldn't be surprised if they were adding it during this annual refurb.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Fri 28, 2014 10:42 pm

The key being consent, if you place it at the load point, or even the exit where they can scan their pass in then it's fine. Coming back from vacation to see "I took this photo of you, look at how it turned out" is Buffalo Bill creepy.

kelpseaweedkelp

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Mar Fri 28, 2014 11:37 pm

It puts the lotion in the basket!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sat 29, 2014 10:03 am

Amy wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:So I just saw this pop up on my FB news feed:

http://www.chipandco.com/big-mymagic-ne ... ts-188233/

Basically...Disney is going to start offering MBs to offsite guests...but will charge them for it. That makes sense as they don't mind giving it to you for free if you are paying to stay onsite. The article doesn't say what the cost will be...but I wonder how many guests will be willing to pay for the MBs. I assume those that want to have FP+ 30 days ahead of time will.
I wonder how much the MBs will cost too. If it is the same as having the ticket with the RFID, I wouldn't pay extra myself...but then I also probably wouldn't stay off property any time soon either. So many advantages to staying on property :D
Just saw the MBs will be $12.95 ~ not too bad, but I wonder how many people will want to pay additional just to get FP+ 30 days ahead of time...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Sat 29, 2014 11:19 am

When do off-site guests normally buy their tickets? That seems like something they would buy upon arrival, which would negate that benefit a bit.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sat 29, 2014 11:52 am

Wizzard419 wrote:When do off-site guests normally buy their tickets? That seems like something they would buy upon arrival, which would negate that benefit a bit.
I would guess a lot of them purchase them when they arrive, but perhaps this is to entice them to pre-purchase online as well?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Sat 29, 2014 12:57 pm

I would imagine that is the idea but I wonder if that still won't do anything since those guests most likely already planned to buy upon arrival/use a discount ticket site or whatever so the messaging might not be seen by them until they arrive.

I know some parks do this, but does Disney offer any discounts to off-site/single day guests who buy their tickets in advance online? Unless they start offering some kind of savings, even if it is as simple as "buy your tickets now and the bands are free", the conversions will not be that great.

BenB
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by BenB » Mar Sun 30, 2014 8:27 pm

Amy wrote:Just saw the MBs will be $12.95 ~ not too bad, but I wonder how many people will want to pay additional just to get FP+ 30 days ahead of time...
Eh. I might have bought them if they were $5 or less, but $13 each? No thanks. We'll use the tickets.
Hoping to go back to the Magic soon.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Mon 31, 2014 2:29 pm

BenB wrote:
Amy wrote:Just saw the MBs will be $12.95 ~ not too bad, but I wonder how many people will want to pay additional just to get FP+ 30 days ahead of time...
Eh. I might have bought them if they were $5 or less, but $13 each? No thanks. We'll use the tickets.
If you go during the right times of the year...and get to the parks at rope drop...you won't even need FP.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)