Another MagicBand question

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

BenB
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Re: Another MagicBand question

Post by BenB » Jun Tue 10, 2014 11:53 pm

So... just a quick update from the park.

Yes, you can buy Magic Bands (of any color) in the park and attach them to your ticket. You keep the ticket and it still works.

Annual Passholders get a ticket and then can order a Magic Band online (for free). I'm going to check tomorrow to see if they'll give one to me, since we're here for 2 weeks and I don't know when we might be here next.

Was there something else?
Hoping to go back to the Magic soon.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 11, 2014 8:15 am

BenB wrote:So... just a quick update from the park.

Yes, you can buy Magic Bands (of any color) in the park and attach them to your ticket. You keep the ticket and it still works.

Annual Passholders get a ticket and then can order a Magic Band online (for free). I'm going to check tomorrow to see if they'll give one to me, since we're here for 2 weeks and I don't know when we might be here next.

Was there something else?
Cool! I would think they would give you your MB there instead of having to order it online. Have a great time!! :D

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Wed 11, 2014 10:43 pm

I would imagine they would want to order them so they can use the MDE app and schedule FPs in advance.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 12, 2014 6:52 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I would imagine they would want to order them so they can use the MDE app and schedule FPs in advance.
But they are at the parks now, so if he can get his band now, he can at least go ahead and use the MDE app now.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Thu 12, 2014 5:43 pm

Oh, then he might not be able to use the app. I'm not sure if they opened up the mobile app to everyone yet.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 12, 2014 8:38 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Oh, then he might not be able to use the app. I'm not sure if they opened up the mobile app to everyone yet.
But I think they are staying on property ~ and then wouldn't you be able to use the mobile app? And why isn't the app available to all yet? Is it restricted to those staying on property still?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Thu 12, 2014 9:02 pm

So they bought tickets from a 3rd party then? If they are staying on property then they would be issued a MB since that is the room key as well, right?

I think they are still mid-rollout for the program and are still scaling up things like the app, they might have released it for all though. Previously it was restricted to those staying on property who bought tickets with their room. They get priority picks for the FP+ system and everyone else would only get what is left that day.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Fri 13, 2014 6:35 am

Wizzard419 wrote:So they bought tickets from a 3rd party then? If they are staying on property then they would be issued a MB since that is the room key as well, right?

I think they are still mid-rollout for the program and are still scaling up things like the app, they might have released it for all though. Previously it was restricted to those staying on property who bought tickets with their room. They get priority picks for the FP+ system and everyone else would only get what is left that day.
Just scrolled back to BenB's original post and they are not staying on property, so I guess they would not have had online status for this trip. But since he is an AP, if he could get his MB during their trip, then he would have access to the online app I think. And he should be able to make the FP+ ressies for his whole family.
Guess we'll have to wait for him to check back in and let us know what happened :D

BenB

Post by BenB » Jun Sat 14, 2014 9:32 pm

Sorry for the delayed reply; we've been doing more important things. :mickey:

We're not on property, so we didn't get magic bands by default. I have an AP though, so I can have one mailed AFTER I activated the pass (first visit) - this is why I couldn't do it before I got here. I checked and mailing is the only option - I can't pick one up at the park unless I buy one. I'll have one mailed just for the heck of it ('cause it's free). I probably won't make it back within the year... but then I'll have one which can be reactivated in the future. I think.

We bought two for the kids so we didn't have to keep track of their tickets. They love them, so that's good.

The app works fine whether you have magic bands or tickets, on property or off. The difference is that on-property guests can book FP+ 60 days in advance; off-property can book 30 days. While I haven't been fully satisfied with the new system - I still like the old one better - it's not as bad as I feared it would be.

It's very hard to get times that you want. You choose three attractions, and then the system "suggests" times for you. You only get a couple options, and as far as I can tell, it's take it or leave it with all three. For example, one option at Epcot had all three FPs in the afternoon, while another had them all in the evening. I couldn't mix & match, at least not in a place I could find.
Hoping to go back to the Magic soon.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sun 15, 2014 6:45 am

BenB wrote:Sorry for the delayed reply; we've been doing more important things. :mickey:

We're not on property, so we didn't get magic bands by default. I have an AP though, so I can have one mailed AFTER I activated the pass (first visit) - this is why I couldn't do it before I got here. I checked and mailing is the only option - I can't pick one up at the park unless I buy one. I'll have one mailed just for the heck of it ('cause it's free). I probably won't make it back within the year... but then I'll have one which can be reactivated in the future. I think.

We bought two for the kids so we didn't have to keep track of their tickets. They love them, so that's good.

The app works fine whether you have magic bands or tickets, on property or off. The difference is that on-property guests can book FP+ 60 days in advance; off-property can book 30 days. While I haven't been fully satisfied with the new system - I still like the old one better - it's not as bad as I feared it would be.

It's very hard to get times that you want. You choose three attractions, and then the system "suggests" times for you. You only get a couple options, and as far as I can tell, it's take it or leave it with all three. For example, one option at Epcot had all three FPs in the afternoon, while another had them all in the evening. I couldn't mix & match, at least not in a place I could find.
Hakuna Matata ~ figured you were still living it up with the Mouse. Thanks for checking back and letting us know. That stinks you weren't able to get your band right there. Seems like it would save them shipping it! Oh well, I'll be interested in hearing more about the system when you get home and have some time to share :D