All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Re: Just Priced Room, Tickets & Meal Plan and Almost Died

Post by Sharonofwindham » Apr Sat 12, 2014 10:13 pm

So sorry to hear about your brother, hope he's doing better :(
I'm right there with ya...I need to get back there so badly! I lost my sister to mental illness, and she was my WDW travel buddy. We went every couple of years together & with others. The last visit was in 2004, and she passed in 2008. I'm a bit nervous about that first visit without her :(
Like others I also recommend checking into the DVC rentals. They not only assist with accommodations, they will set you up with discount tickets, Magical Exress, etc. There are a couple of companies online that seem very good, and it not only makes the accommodations that much cheaper, some have full kitchens & a washer/dryer right in the villa. If you have kids, just the savings on breakfast everyday can help with the food bill! No rental car either when you stay on property. Best of luck...hope you make it back to the magic really soon :)

BuDz211
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by BuDz211 » Apr Mon 14, 2014 10:52 pm

Sharonofwindham wrote:There are a couple of companies online that seem very good, and it not only makes the accommodations that much cheaper, some have full kitchens & a washer/dryer right in the villa. If you have kids, just the savings on breakfast everyday can help with the food bill!
I remember when I was a kid, my parents used to take my brothers and I to Disney World and we would stay at Days Inn since we didn't have too much money. Most mornings we would have eggs and bacon or sausage, cooked in an electric wok which we owned. It was great to wake up to the smell of bacon or sausage every morning on vacation in the hotel room and my parents must have saved a bunch of money. We also had those single serving cereal bowls where all you had to do was just pour milk into the container and grab a spoon. I may do this on my next trip with my own family.
Image Image

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Tue 15, 2014 7:00 am

BuDz211 wrote:
Sharonofwindham wrote:There are a couple of companies online that seem very good, and it not only makes the accommodations that much cheaper, some have full kitchens & a washer/dryer right in the villa. If you have kids, just the savings on breakfast everyday can help with the food bill!
I remember when I was a kid, my parents used to take my brothers and I to Disney World and we would stay at Days Inn since we didn't have too much money. Most mornings we would have eggs and bacon or sausage, cooked in an electric wok which we owned. It was great to wake up to the smell of bacon or sausage every morning on vacation in the hotel room and my parents must have saved a bunch of money. We also had those single serving cereal bowls where all you had to do was just pour milk into the container and grab a spoon. I may do this on my next trip with my own family.
I remember the little boxes of cereal ~ that was always part of the excitement of vacation because there were different sugared cereals in those variety packs that we never got to have at home! What a neat memory :D

DisneyYorkie
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by DisneyYorkie » Apr Tue 15, 2014 8:27 am

Amy wrote:
BuDz211 wrote:
I remember the little boxes of cereal ~ that was always part of the excitement of vacation because there were different sugared cereals in those variety packs that we never got to have at home! What a neat memory :D
Wow....now you guys got the old memory fountain flowing...

When I was a child, we never went to WDW (and, to this day, I can't get my dad through the gates....I don't know why....and it makes me incredibly sad....but that's another story I guess)....we always went to the beach. My dad would slip out really early, leaving my mom and my brother and I to sleep. He would come back with wonderful donuts and coffee. Those were the best tasting donuts EVER! :D

When my girls were little, we DID bring them to WDW as soon as they were old enough to appreciate the experience (3 years old). We didn't have much money either and had to stay in the cheaper hotels, but we always made the experience as special as possible. We too bought the individual variety pack of cereals...probably twice the price but WAYYYY more fun! We also didn't have money to eat expensive park food, so for weeks before our trips, I would begin squirreling away all kinds of nifty stuff we never bought for normal consumption: beef jerky, meat/cheese/cracker packages that didn't require refrigeration, granola bars, single serve packages of nuts, fruit roll ups, etc....and tuna and chicken "kicks". That was our oldest daughter's term: the word was actually "kit" but she assumed we were saying "kick" and the term has stuck to this day :lol: With the meat in the little cans, mayo packet, and crackers, it was a wonderful little meal. Boy did we eat lots of tuna and chicken kicks. It is a wonder either of my girls will touch either tuna or chicken in a can :lol: And then there was canned ham...a rich, fat filled spreadable substance that tasted wonderful on crackers and led to immediate hardening of the arteries!
You've got serious thrill issues dude. - Crush. Finding Nemo

daluke
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by daluke » Apr Tue 15, 2014 5:27 pm

Hmm, perhaps I am missing something...I just priced Riverside, Preferred room, Oct 5 - 11, 2 adults with 7 day tix (no PH) and Regular Dining Plan:

$2,842.68 for the package.

Room is ~ $200/night so $1400 with taxes. Tix are ~ $700. Dining Plan was about $700.

**Oops - this is for 6 nights not seven, but price would be ~ $350 more in total I think for another night with room, tix and dining**

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Apr Wed 16, 2014 7:19 am

No, you're not missing anything. For $2800 my family of four can rent a cabin for a week, including transportation and food. The cost you quoted doesn't include tips on table-service meals, transportation to Florida, and souvenirs. I'm guessing another $1,000+ should be added, especially if the couple is flying in from a northern state to MCO.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

JonathanCC
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by JonathanCC » Apr Wed 23, 2014 2:26 pm

If you can wait til last minute to book(2-3 months ahead) it pays to do so. Disney is always running 30% discount on rooms(Deluxe or Moderate) plus either Free Dining or Park Hopper tickets.

kelpseaweedkelp

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Apr Thu 24, 2014 1:10 pm

foldmama wrote:I just priced 7 night in a preferred room at Riverside for early October. Just the room was close to $2,400.00 Added tickets close to $500.00. Meal Plan, 1 table, 1 service and 1 snack over $2,000.00 for two adults!

Total vacation without airfare and spending money almost $5,000.00!!!!

Last time I visited about 2.5 years ago (longest ever) I was about $3k for the same.

I'm don't think I can go at these prices. I'm so upset right now!!

Eileen (Foldmama)

Hey there - just checked the All-Star resorts online - they are at $105 for when you want to go - knocks over $600 off your price - they are nice! Buses come a lot and you get the EMH. Really, how much time does one spend in the hotel anyways? :) You can request a room right by the bus pickup too if you check out the map of each one for the right "theme".

Also I agree with everyone who said skip the meal plan - its so much freaking food and I think I remember calculating once that a "snack" point costs more on the meal plan than most of the snacks do with cash. MagicBand makes eatin' good easy-breezy!

Good luck!!!

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by rphillips14 » Apr Sat 26, 2014 8:28 am

Look for free dining in the fall. Your meal plan may be free!!

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Apr Sat 26, 2014 11:14 pm

rphillips14 wrote:Look for free dining in the fall. Your meal plan may be free!!

I sure do hope so...lol :lol: :goofy:

foldmama
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by foldmama » May Fri 02, 2014 11:29 am

Thanks everyone for the wonderful replies and suggestions. Due to financial reasons, I am holding our trip off until next spring. I do love late April early May at Disney so not too upset about the delay. I do prefer to stay on property as Extra Magic Hours are important to me as I sometimes will go back to a park at night by myself and just walk around and do as I please.

We do plan to rent a scooter from an off site vendor as Amy suggest, prices are much better and we both agreed no meal plan. I may look at value resorts when I book later in the year, but I stayed once at "Sports" and absolutely hated it. I rather cut the trip down a day or two and be more comfortable. I love the idea of renting a DVC, but need more than a studio as we need two beds. I so wish that when my nephew was young I had taken the plunge and bought into the DVC when it was less then $100.00 a point. I kick myself today! Now that I purchased a condo, it's just not financially possible. This is the longest I've been away from Disney now 2.5 years (:, but I know I will love going home. Starting to plan my retirement in a few years and I am seriously thinking of moving down to the Orlando area so I can work at Disney in my retirement.

kelpseaweedkelp

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » May Fri 02, 2014 11:58 am

[ Starting to plan my retirement in a few years and I am seriously thinking of moving down to the Orlando area so I can work at Disney in my retirement.[/quote]

Do it!!!!! :hm_ghost: :hm_ghost: :hm_ghost:

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » May Fri 02, 2014 1:23 pm

The studio rooms at Old Key West have two queen beds, if that helps you in your decision. Old Key West (our personal favorite) is also one of the easier resorts to get a reservation for.

Most of the other studios have a queen or king bed along with a sofa that can pull out to a full size bed.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Fri 02, 2014 9:02 pm

Sorry you have to delay, but glad you will still be able to go at a time of year you enjoy.

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by rphillips14 » May Sat 03, 2014 10:44 am

Just booked our trip for October (Oct 3 thru Oct 10) Free Dining saved us about $1,500 which will allow us to fly down. Awesome!! But Port Orleans is not on the Free Dining plan :( However, heard good things about POP and will have 2 rooms for the first time!!

Fall 2009: Port Orleans (My first trio since high school-told my wife I'd hate it-I WAS WRONG!!)
Spring 2010: Port Orleans (Just found out I had Melanoma. A great trip of reflection)
Fall 2011: Port Orleans (Celebration of cancer free)
Fall 2012: Port Orleans (Didn't know it but I had Lymphoma and would find out in January)
Fall 2013: Caribbean Beach (Our cancer free celebration-Part 2 Thank God!! But 1 daughter had to stay home for band :( )
Fall 2014: Pop Century (Whole family together again and cancer free to the best of my knowledge-very excited!!!)