Just Priced Room, Tickets & Meal Plan and Almost Died

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

foldmama
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Just Priced Room, Tickets & Meal Plan and Almost Died

Post by foldmama » Feb Wed 26, 2014 3:01 pm

I just priced 7 night in a preferred room at Riverside for early October. Just the room was close to $2,400.00 Added tickets close to $500.00. Meal Plan, 1 table, 1 service and 1 snack over $2,000.00 for two adults!

Total vacation without airfare and spending money almost $5,000.00!!!!

Last time I visited about 2.5 years ago (longest ever) I was about $3k for the same.

I'm don't think I can go at these prices. I'm so upset right now!!

Eileen (Foldmama)

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Re: Just Priced Room, Tickets & Meal Plan and Almost Died

Post by boilerbabe » Feb Wed 26, 2014 9:31 pm

It can be overwhelming! What we usually do is go when Disney offers the 30% room discount. We also have a Disney Visa, not only can you rack up "Disney Dollors" and apply it to your room stay, food, merchandise etc....you get 6 months at 0% interest to pay off your vacation!

Hope that helps maybe a little!? :wink:

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Feb Thu 27, 2014 10:44 am

This would be my suggestion for you:
Stay off-property that is really on-property - The Buena Vista Palace is directly ACROSS the street from Downtown Disney. It's a 2 minute walk across the street to the Disney busses. It is beautiful, we have stayed there 25+ times. You can see the fireworks in every park from your balcony if you want! And coffee in the morning overlooking Downtown Disney and the parks in the distance is incredible! Look it up on the internet it is seriously superb! The general prices might be $129 per night if you get early enough and look for deals online. That would be $903

A (5) day Disney ticket without hopping is $304, and (7) days is $364. So lets say you buy the (7) day, that's $728

And a meal plan??? I think it is highly un-necessary, and overpriced. We did the dining plan one time, and vowed to never do it again. All we did was plan to eat, eat, and be full from eating too much. I would suggest that $1000 is more than adequate to budget for food for (7) days and that would include some nice dinners too! But Frankly, a nice dinner every other day is plenty and eating around the world in EPCOT is awesome!! When you do not have the dining plan it opens up so many more options of things to do, the freedom to go where you want and have fun doing it!

So, by my calculations, the total would be $2631. And I am serious, you would love that resort! Great rooms overlooking Downtown Disney, balconies, and the rooms are almost twice as big as a Disney room. Just my suggestion, I know you would like it. I'm not a Disney travel planner... just someone who lives in Miami and goes to Disney a few times a year. I know how to afford Disney on a budget! Go for it, and Good Luck!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

foldmama

Post by foldmama » Feb Thu 27, 2014 2:03 pm

Thanks so much for the replies. I also have a Disney Visa and have close $500.00 so my park ticket is taken care off. I just have this thing that if I cannot pay cash for my vacation then I need to wait until I can. I just purchased a condo last year and have to budget much more carefully then in the past. I'm definitely going to check out the The Buena Vista. I'm traveling with someone a bit older and not sure how much extra walking they can do. I was planning on renting a scooter for her as she had a small stroke a few years ago and has really slowed down. I agree about the food plan, I find it annoying to have to work my park visits around reservations, but my friend loves eating and visiting the restaurants. It's a big part of the vacation for her. A few times I've gone on my own, I just do counter service. It's been 2.5 years since my last visit and my last visit was horrible. We have my brother put into the hospital the night before I left for mental illness and every day as I spoke to my other brother I would just cry in the middle of MK. I so wanted to go home but again was traveling with a friend. I really need a visit to the happiest place on earth!

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Feb Thu 27, 2014 3:46 pm

I hope you go and have a wonderful trip. But seriously check out the Buena Vista Palace, it's above expectations. They have a shuttle going to Downtown Disney and the parks too, very convenient. Good luck to you!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Feb Thu 27, 2014 5:01 pm

You should check out renting DVC as well...if you are looking for an affordable way to stay on property. Depending on the time of year, you could stay in a deluxe studio room at Old Key West for around $150 per night...total...because there is no hotel tax when renting DVC like there is when you pay Disney or stay in any other hotel. That is the only way DW and I can afford to go down there because you can pay $150 per night for a room that would normally cost $350-$500.

I would ditto cousininmiami about not doing the park hoppers...that could save a bit too...especially if you are staying that long. And yes...the meal plan is only worth it if you have a large family with you...and you are getting it for free. Even then it is just barely worth it. For two adults going to WDW...it is totally not even close to being worth it. You pay with your Magic Band now for everything...so the convenience factor doesn't even exist anymore.

Go check out http://www.UndercoverTourist.com for great prices on park tickets. I have a link that will save you more at their site if you want to PM me. Or you could just sign up for the monthly newsletters from http://www.MouseSavers.com which is who gives out the links.

There are definitely ways to save money here and there...or most of us here would have stopped going a long time ago.
Last edited by theBIGyowski on Feb Fri 28, 2014 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Thu 27, 2014 10:10 pm

foldmama wrote:Thanks so much for the replies. I also have a Disney Visa and have close $500.00 so my park ticket is taken care off. I just have this thing that if I cannot pay cash for my vacation then I need to wait until I can. I just purchased a condo last year and have to budget much more carefully then in the past. I'm definitely going to check out the The Buena Vista. I'm traveling with someone a bit older and not sure how much extra walking they can do. I was planning on renting a scooter for her as she had a small stroke a few years ago and has really slowed down. I agree about the food plan, I find it annoying to have to work my park visits around reservations, but my friend loves eating and visiting the restaurants. It's a big part of the vacation for her. A few times I've gone on my own, I just do counter service. It's been 2.5 years since my last visit and my last visit was horrible. We have my brother put into the hospital the night before I left for mental illness and every day as I spoke to my other brother I would just cry in the middle of MK. I so wanted to go home but again was traveling with a friend. I really need a visit to the happiest place on earth!
If you need to rent a scooter for your friend, be sure to check out off-site rentals. Figment has had to rent one the last few trips we have taken, and she saves quite a lot by renting from a local company instead of renting one at the parks. The bonus to that is you have the scooter to use at the hotel and in Downtown Disney and not just in the parks. Mom used Walker Mobility and has been quite happy with the service and the price.

jderoche5
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jderoche5 » Feb Fri 28, 2014 8:55 am

I would recommend booking with someone other than Disney directly. I use Magical Journeys. Offers always come up for that time whether it be 30% of the room or free dining. When I book with them they automatically apply the discount to my reservation once it is available. Also do you have AAA? It's not much but that can save you a little money along the way. Is your email registered with Disney? They do send out discount pin code every so often, I've saved 40% of rooms in the past with those.

But I agree, full price rack rates are a bit overwhelming.........I go quite often (2-3 times a year) and have never had to pay full price.
Jessica
Always remember that it was started by a mouse…...

http://instagram.com/jderoche5

fancyfeet
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by fancyfeet » Mar Sun 23, 2014 3:06 pm

Have you tried staying at a value resort? They are very comfortable and affordable. Be on the lookout for free dining plan too.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Mar Tue 25, 2014 11:48 am

I would agree with Buena Vista. Too bad they don't have Extra Magic Hours though. I am not sure why the Hilton is the only affiliate resort offering EMH.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Tue 25, 2014 4:04 pm

That is always a good thing to weigh as well, with the time of year you are going, how important is the EMH?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 25, 2014 6:36 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:That is always a good thing to weigh as well, with the time of year you are going, how important is the EMH?
I'm thinking EMH is getting to be more and more important, no matter what time of the year you visit. The "slow" periods are getting more and more rare :(

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Tue 25, 2014 6:49 pm

True, plus since it would be October, that also means MK would be closing early regularly (I'm guessing) for the Halloween event which means people would be leaving that park to go to other parks.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Mar Wed 26, 2014 7:32 am

Wizzard419 wrote:True, plus since it would be October, that also means MK would be closing early regularly (I'm guessing) for the Halloween event which means people would be leaving that park to go to other parks.
Yes, they close at 7 every other day, on average, for the MNSSHP. And, Epcot is JAMMED at the same time for F&W.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

DisneyYorkie
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by DisneyYorkie » Mar Wed 26, 2014 10:32 am

Foldmama, let me make a suggestion: the best move we ever made was renting vacation homes. We are renting a home on Lake Sawyer right now through Homeaway. The owner rents it for 750/week. We are renting it monthly for $2250...less than what your hotel is going to cost you! If you are interested, I can provide the link to the property. Homeaway has hundreds of other rentals in the Kissimmee/Orlando area as well. This particular property we can see the MK fireworks every night from our back yard!!!!

We also have rented with another company locally called Heavenly Holiday Homes. Marcy Mackey is the owner/rental agent. she is phenomenal. She has lots and lots of wonderful homes for rent.

The advantage of these homes: tons and tons of room (on average 1700 square feet), 3 to 4 bedrooms, full kitchens, screened pool/lanai, fully stocked...just bring your clothes and toothbrush! We have been renting homes here since arriving last August and plan to continue doing this for the foreseeable future.
You've got serious thrill issues dude. - Crush. Finding Nemo