Christmas Day Parade

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

fancyfeet
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Christmas Day Parade

Post by fancyfeet » Feb Sat 22, 2014 1:55 pm

I know this is a delayed reaction but I loved Neil Patrick Harris opening the 2013 Disney Parks Christmas day parade. The whole production showed exactly what I love about WDW. I still have it on my DVR and watch the opening whenever I need a little pick me up.

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Re: Christmas Day Parade

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Feb Sun 23, 2014 2:46 pm

I agree! He was a great host. My family has resigned itself to my desire to watch the parade every year. I know it's totally an ad but I like when you occasionally get behind the scenes peeks at something. Some of the musical acts I could do without but I'm not the target teenage audience that a lot of the singers have. I always thought it was actually live on Christmas Day and that it would be so great to be there because the weather was always perfect...then I found out the pre-taping truth :(

fancyfeet

Post by fancyfeet » Feb Mon 24, 2014 3:36 pm

I know, I think they tape it around the first week in December. I'm usually a go in September girl, but really want to go at least once to see everything decorated at Christmas and maybe get to see some of the parade taping. My family knows on Christmas Day, though, we can't open presents until the parade is over! :) I also agree some of the musical acts are a little young but for me it's mostly about seeing glimpses of the park and resorts and having that "I wish I were there right this minute" feeling.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Mon 24, 2014 3:38 pm

They've actually started moving up the filming dates in both parks, I think DLR was mostly done by the end of November.

Wyntuck
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Wyntuck » Mar Tue 25, 2014 3:34 pm

I worked there when it WAS live. We used to ask all the time why they couldn't tape it, but was told part of the marketing was showing the 'live' in the corner of the screen along with the current temperature to all those frozen people in Buffalo. Then, they started doing part live with taped segments, then... only live segments, then all taped. If you have ever had to wake up at 5am Christmas Morning and leave your family to drive to work and perform in 2 Christmas parades, then not get home til about 4pm... you wouldn't wish they went back to live broadcasts!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Tue 25, 2014 4:01 pm

Pretty much, that and while the weather is generally agreeable, there can be years where it is overcast for DLR or WDW, which is way less soul-crushing.

Wyntuck

Post by Wyntuck » Sep Wed 17, 2014 9:48 pm

This might sound weird to a lot of folks, but it was always soul-crushing for me if Christmas was warm. And growing up in Florida, that was quite often. Even more so at WDW, when the parade costumes were heavy coats and scarves (and overlays for the costumed characters).
I caught the telecast of the Christmas parade a few years ago, and it's so much more slick and fast paced, the concerts looking like those "Today Show" street concerts, with all the swoopy crane cameras and constant screaming... sheesh! No thanks.
I'm sure one thing that hasn't changed is the festive feel on Christmas day, those folks who want to spend the holiday in the Parks are true Disney/Christmas fanatics!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 18, 2014 6:39 am

I remember going for a walk on Christmas morning when we visited my brother in California. It was just so weird to not have snow or cold weather or anything that resembled a "normal" Christmas morning from my memory. I think I could get used to palm trees and gentle breezes for Christmas though...I might just have to try anyhow ;)
I certainly feel for those performers in the parades in the heavy costumes though. I can't imagine how they manage not to pass out even if the temperatures are a bit cooler in the winter months.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Sep Fri 19, 2014 10:27 am

Speaking of winter temps in Florida...

When DW and I were there this past January, the temperature stayed between 35 and 50 with a brisk wind the ENTIRE time we were there. So if you weren't in the sun, you were miserable. We don't regret our trip...but we'd certainly love to do it over again with warmer weather. Here is a picture of us on Dumbo at rope drop when it was in the upper 30s. We were the ONLY people on the ride! By the way...I am wearing a thermal shirt, long sleeved shirt, and fleece jacket...and I was still freezing because of the wind.

This was the part of 2014 where the whole country (except CA) was in a deep freeze...and it went as far south as Central Florida. And of course a few weeks later is when the snow and ice crippled the Southeast US.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)