Remember When... Epcot

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Remember When... Epcot

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Sun 16, 2014 12:57 am

Yeah, Disney did too, in the 80's. :D Supposedly they were going to do something like that for Japan, think of that Teleconference Wall that MIT made (but with 80's tech). Though the cancellation of Japan's attraction mid-way through the build killed the project early on. That and now you can get the same experience online with international strangers at any time.

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by rphillips14 » Feb Sun 16, 2014 6:37 am

I enjoy the ability to develop your own ride in innoventions. Also, I thing "The Land" is very interesting. However, other than Turtle Talk with Crush-"The Seas" is very primary. If the target audience is preschoolers than congrats. I think Epcot should constantly be reaching toward the future as that seemed to be Walt's vision.

Now for World Showcase-Move the American Experience to boost TMK and put in Brazil. Also, put a good ride with each country.

Just my opinion!!

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Sharonofwindham » Feb Sun 16, 2014 10:16 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I don't think any of that has to do with the lack of interest in film attractions. It is because they are simply boring and passive experiences. Just like how the little mermaid attraction is an abomination, it would have been great in the 80's/early 90's, but now it breaks a cardinal rule by not telling the story to you but rather telling the story at you.

One of the weird things with the WS merch is that much of it never seems to rotate, you could be there in 2000, this week, or 10 years from now and the selection will be pretty much the same items. Great, if you break something and want a replacement, not so good for repeat visits though.
Not entirely true about the merch in WS. I bought a bag in Morocco that I loved, when it wore out after using it for ten years straight I was disappointed to find they were no longer available.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Sun 16, 2014 11:18 pm

Hence the use of "Much of it..." :D

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Feb Wed 19, 2014 9:19 pm

Wizzard419...If you find so much wrong with Disney & critique everything that they do in such a negative way, why would you spend any time at all on a site that is dedicated to the very destination that you seem to dislike so very much?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Wed 19, 2014 9:34 pm

No, I actually don't. I find issue with the amount of butt-hurt that the fanboys/girls have for when Disney goes to make the parks viable.

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Feb Wed 19, 2014 10:49 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:No, I actually don't. I find issue with the amount of butt-hurt that the fanboys/girls have for when Disney goes to make the parks viable.
Oh...right. Okie doke then...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Wed 19, 2014 11:07 pm

Yep, they talk about how brining back old attractions would be viable, and how they should not have been removed in the first place. They pretend their tourism numbers are great enough that Disney would take notice, they also forget that WDW and DLR have very different demographics and biz models. Finally, they also don't sack up and invest. I do invest, I also dump shares regularly when I think it is going to take a dive.

UncleScrooge477
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by UncleScrooge477 » Feb Thu 20, 2014 12:34 pm

I still remember the "stations" in the Imagination! pavilion where you could design your own CD of Disney Music, and have it burned while you waited. I never did it - wish I had. They had ALL sorts of stuff like things we enjoy here - bathroom music loop, queue music, etc. Must have been 100s of available tracks.

Also, one trip, the upstairs was open. Very warm, due to glass panels, but it was an art exhibit by children. Fun to wander through, and we tried to figure out where the corporate lounge was and if we could get in - no such luck.

Finally, the year (2002) they had the Annual Passholder lounge in the Land pavilion - that was fun! Pushing two of the elevator buttons at the same time got you to the third floor (I think) where the corporate lounge was. We made a special trip down that year just to get in there!
UncleScrooge477

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Thu 20, 2014 2:34 pm

UncleScrooge477 wrote:I still remember the "stations" in the Imagination! pavilion where you could design your own CD of Disney Music, and have it burned while you waited. I never did it - wish I had. They had ALL sorts of stuff like things we enjoy here - bathroom music loop, queue music, etc. Must have been 100s of available tracks.

Also, one trip, the upstairs was open. Very warm, due to glass panels, but it was an art exhibit by children. Fun to wander through, and we tried to figure out where the corporate lounge was and if we could get in - no such luck.

Finally, the year (2002) they had the Annual Passholder lounge in the Land pavilion - that was fun! Pushing two of the elevator buttons at the same time got you to the third floor (I think) where the corporate lounge was. We made a special trip down that year just to get in there!
I made a few CDs but I think it was on Main Street in the music store. I asked once if you could get all the songs as I knew the CDs were capable of holding much more than the 10 songs they allowed you to pick. No such luck on getting around the limit though :(
I know we were able to go upstairs in the Imagination Pavilion at least a few times, but I don't remember much about what was up there, other than the rainbow light tunnel. That was cool :figment:
Oooo, do you remember which two buttons you pushed in the elevator? Maybe we could "accidentally" push them and get up to the corporate lounge next time ;) :lol:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Thu 20, 2014 2:49 pm

If you look hard enough, well not that hard, you can actually find the WDW forever stuff on torrent (or even dropbox) sites.

If I recall, the buttons for the land were just the first and second floor buttons, which probably has been deactivated.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Feb Fri 21, 2014 9:46 am

I know you can't go back to rides or attractions that are not around anymore or have been dismantled... But I think it's an eyesore and an injustice to have Wonders of Life not open and The Odyssey just sitting there for must be 10 years now! I know there are newcomers that go to EPCOT and think, What's that? when looking at those two big unused buildings. I think it's really a shame and can't figure out why.
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

fancyfeet
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by fancyfeet » Feb Sat 22, 2014 1:57 pm

[quote="cousininmiami"]Remember when futuristic cutting edge technology, never seen before was what Future World in Epcot was all about?

When I went on spaceship earth after the remodel, I remember thinking that was the one scene I really missed: seeing the two kids from different continents video chatting with each other.

UncleScrooge477

Post by UncleScrooge477 » Feb Mon 24, 2014 10:18 am

Wizzard419 wrote:If you look hard enough, well not that hard, you can actually find the WDW forever stuff on torrent (or even dropbox) sites.

If I recall, the buttons for the land were just the first and second floor buttons, which probably has been deactivated.
I think one and two, at the same time, was correct. I know I went back up there a couple of years AFTER the Season Pass Lounge ended - the button combo still worked. But it was all shut down and a cast member was "working" at the end of the access hall and said it had closed.

I'll give it a shot in March if we get over there! I think our focus with be the Bacon Maple CUpcakes in front of the American Adventure:
http://www.thedailycity.com/2014/02/men ... ns-at.html

Specifically:

“Piggylicous” bacon cupcake with maple frosting and pretzel crunch featuring Nueske’s Applewood Smoked Bacon :mrgreen:
UncleScrooge477

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Feb Mon 24, 2014 12:13 pm

Well, we will be there this weekend, and I will try the elevator!

Ummmmm and about the Bacon cupcake.... I really love Bacon, and I really love cupcakes, but they don't sound so good together! :shock:
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°