River Country

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: River Country

Post by cy1229 » Jan Fri 24, 2014 3:16 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:It is actually exactly Disney-like to leave stuff to rot, if nothing is planned and there is no building code demand they take it down, it stays up until they have a use for the space.

With the river country thing, if I recall most of the park was on an isolated/chlorinated system, but the big lake part of it, while divided from the main lake so that they could keep plants and animals from coming in, used water from it which would allow pathogens to flourish.

I actually don't think the water is that dead, in terms of motion/activity. If it were the bodies of water would smell horrible. There is a body of water in Newport Beach called "Back Bay", surrounded by multi-million dollar homes, and for many years it smelled like a sewer because the water was stagnant. They finally got so fed up with it they demanded the county pay to have machines come through regularly and move the water/mud to make the smell go away.
Rotting vegetation in stagnant water smells just like a sewer. Probably similar byproducts of degradation. Len90 and I could do a biochemistry analysis of the processes that make mercaptan, but yuck.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Fri 24, 2014 5:08 pm

Wouldn't rotting plankton also be an issue? Algee blooms also smell horrible, and with the amount of fertilizers that they probably use to keep things green, it all runs off into the lakes as well.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jan Sat 25, 2014 7:55 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Wouldn't rotting plankton also be an issue? Algee blooms also smell horrible, and with the amount of fertilizers that they probably use to keep things green, it all runs off into the lakes as well.
Algae would be a greater issue than the plankton, assuming the lake became eutrophic. Given its size, it would seem unlikely, but you're right, the amount of fertilizer runoff could contribute.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

DaRkNeSs
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by DaRkNeSs » Jan Sat 25, 2014 10:13 am

Wow so disney just left river country there to rot that is terrible I actually went there when I was a kid it was very fun and had a very different feel to it then the current water parks that is a real shame, it is probably a snake breeding ground now.
Look for the Bear necessities!!! Trust in me, just in me Shut your eyes and trust in me You can sleep safe and sound Knowing I am around!!

jderoche5
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jderoche5 » Jan Sun 26, 2014 12:15 am

I'm sure the spider population there is quite impressive as well. It's a sad sight. I can still remember finally getting up the courage to slide down the slides that dropped into the pool. I was so proud of myself. Love the tube rapids too.
Jessica
Always remember that it was started by a mouse…...

http://instagram.com/jderoche5

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sun 26, 2014 2:36 am

There was a city here that had in one of the water reclamation pools (public parks, medians, etc. recycle their water to conserve) had a perfect combo of high fertilizer content, air temp, and I think a temperature inversion in the pool itself and caused a massive gas release that people ended up reporting to the police as a meth lab.

Considering the RC was built as a water park for high volumes of people, they may have selected durable materials and treated them to the point that other than vegetation covering them up, they simply just sit there. The world's largest wooden structures (the Tustin Blimp Hangars, you've probably seen them without realizing you are looking at them) were built in the early 20th century and they still have their original timber and are supposedly as sturdy as the day they were built.

DaRkNeSs

Post by DaRkNeSs » Jan Sun 26, 2014 9:30 am

Wizzard419 wrote:There was a city here that had in one of the water reclamation pools (public parks, medians, etc. recycle their water to conserve) had a perfect combo of high fertilizer content, air temp, and I think a temperature inversion in the pool itself and caused a massive gas release that people ended up reporting to the police as a meth lab.

Considering the RC was built as a water park for high volumes of people, they may have selected durable materials and treated them to the point that other than vegetation covering them up, they simply just sit there. The world's largest wooden structures (the Tustin Blimp Hangars, you've probably seen them without realizing you are looking at them) were built in the early 20th century and they still have their original timber and are supposedly as sturdy as the day they were built.
Wow so not very environmentally friendly I am guessing that is really sad and all the crap dumps into seven seas lagoon! Yuck
Look for the Bear necessities!!! Trust in me, just in me Shut your eyes and trust in me You can sleep safe and sound Knowing I am around!!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sun 26, 2014 12:34 pm

It's ok, the lake was man-made (or at least most of them are) and it's Florida: "The New Jersey of the South". :D

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Sharonofwindham » Jan Sun 26, 2014 10:19 pm

If River Country wasn't visible to guests, I could understand them leaving all the slides, signs & equipment where it is, but when you pass by on a boat it is there for all to see. The stagnant water just sitting in what's left of the pools is great for breeding mosquitos...which happen to be spreading some pretty serious diseases these days. AND THE TRASH...I cannot believe Disney just up & left it full of trash!! This is one occasion that I believe I can say with conviction that Walt would be thoroughly disgusted & would certainly be firing some people directly involved with this.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Mon 27, 2014 12:23 am

If their OC is anything like the OC where DLR is, you have to treat stagnant water with either fish (that eat the larvae) or chemicals. And considering that people aren't being eaten alive by mosquitos at WDW, I am guessing they have been treating the whole property for a while. Vector crisis averted!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 27, 2014 7:40 am

Wizzard419 wrote:If their OC is anything like the OC where DLR is, you have to treat stagnant water with either fish (that eat the larvae) or chemicals. And considering that people aren't being eaten alive by mosquitos at WDW, I am guessing they have been treating the whole property for a while. Vector crisis averted!
I'm pretty sure they spray for mossies at WDW...not sure what all other methods they might employ too

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Mon 27, 2014 3:08 pm

The most effective tool is to simply eliminate stagnant water, but in instances where that isn't possible, they can add chems (sometimes containing copper) to the water, introduce predators to the water, or make major changes to water flow.

jderoche5

Post by jderoche5 » Jan Mon 27, 2014 3:37 pm

Hiring a cleanup crew at this point wouldn't hurt either!
Jessica
Always remember that it was started by a mouse…...

http://instagram.com/jderoche5

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Jan Mon 27, 2014 6:39 pm

they will level it when they get money to build something in its place, that way the demo can be written to a new project (WDI) instead of ops (TDO). that way park maintenance
and other projects are not impacted, hence wizards affirmation that this is exactly what disney would do [leave it to rot, i mean]

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Jan Tue 28, 2014 9:37 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:If their OC is anything like the OC where DLR is, you have to treat stagnant water with either fish (that eat the larvae) or chemicals. And considering that people aren't being eaten alive by mosquitos at WDW, I am guessing they have been treating the whole property for a while. Vector crisis averted!
Apparently you have never been to Ft. Wilderness, and walked the trails over there...don't advise it if you aren't equipped with insect repellent, lol