Fastpass+

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Fastpass+

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Wed 19, 2014 4:21 pm

Space isn't quite the issue, at least on mobile, the two big issues are IP (mainly you don't want these assets getting out of your control), and the download itself. For many, the way apps get on their device is using mobile services rather than wifi or plugging in, and since data limits are common, people become really hesitant to surf, watch videos, and download apps (in some cases they can be 2-3 gigs) because of that cap. It is so bad that Disney (ESPN) started working with providers to subsidize traffic going to their content.

I'm trying out the app right now (don't have a ticket to pair with it so only the partial experience), it's nice but UI/UX needs a ton of work. Not that any of this is designed to bring customers in since the usage of the app is supposed to be after they have your money. :D

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Thu 20, 2014 1:04 pm

I think the app is as good as it can get right now...in terms of what it can offer. Sure it can be a LOT better...but since they want it to do pretty much everything as it pertains to a vacation stay on property...it's not that bad. Most people will use their computer to plan their vacation...then their mobile device to help them during their stay.

That is why I think there needs to be some kind of offline capability with the app...because I may not want to use up my battery to remind myself when/where my FP+ and dining reservations are.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Thu 20, 2014 2:19 pm

The app's FP timer (sending push notes for when your pass is ready) should work independent of the connectivity now that I think about it (since networks may go down but they want to make the system keep functioning), the only things that would require a connection would be location related services, updates to the content/schedules, and when you want to book passes.

The push notes might only notify (when in airplane mode) if you booked on the device rather than on another machine/device.

The big reason I can't see the app getting any real improvements because it has no capability to measurably generate money yet. Especially when you consider that they want you to book your dining reservations, rides, entertainment, etc. months in advance it closes the window on enticing people to make a same day reservation for dinner through the app (if you can do that).

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Aug Wed 12, 2015 3:20 pm

Anyone have anything up update as far as usability? Helpful hints before and in the parks??

Last trip we took they were very newly rolling things out and it really wasn't as smooth of a process as it is now, so I'm just curious what people are thinking and any tips or tricks they might have learned along the way? :-)

Marty Moose
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Marty Moose » Aug Thu 13, 2015 10:17 am

We've been making our first FP+ for about an hour after park opening and using the first hour to go commando and get as much done as possible. Especially in the parks with tiered FP+, for instance FP+ Soarin and rope drop Test Track. Then use the 3rd FP+ early in the window and try to get a fourth. Also, if you don't get exactly the times you want, keep checking - I've had some luck at moving times around as we get closer. The exception to that will be the most popular rides like mine train and toy story. Good luck!
"Park's closed. Moose out front should have told ya."

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Aug Thu 13, 2015 10:29 am

Marty Moose wrote:We've been making our first FP+ for about an hour after park opening and using the first hour to go commando and get as much done as possible. Especially in the parks with tiered FP+, for instance FP+ Soarin and rope drop Test Track. Then use the 3rd FP+ early in the window and try to get a fourth. Also, if you don't get exactly the times you want, keep checking - I've had some luck at moving times around as we get closer. The exception to that will be the most popular rides like mine train and toy story. Good luck!
Good call with the tiered fast passes and going to the other rides first and then use your fast pass. I've been making ours for as early as possible each day as well. Especially since we have little ones who will most likely need afternoon breaks/naps.
So once you use all three, then you can get more? How likely is it that more will be available for the evening?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Thu 13, 2015 10:43 pm

Marty Moose wrote:We've been making our first FP+ for about an hour after park opening and using the first hour to go commando ...

I don't think that phrase means what you think it means... unless it does, then ick.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Aug Fri 14, 2015 6:43 am

Wizzard419 wrote:
Marty Moose wrote:We've been making our first FP+ for about an hour after park opening and using the first hour to go commando ...

I don't think that phrase means what you think it means... unless it does, then ick.
Yeah, I was like TMI!!!!!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Fri 14, 2015 7:50 am

cy1229 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:

Yeah, I was like TMI!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Poor Marty Moose ~ I'm sure they just meant they tackle the attractions with gusto that first hour ;)

Captainnobeard
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by Captainnobeard » Aug Fri 14, 2015 8:02 am

Ok, here's another fast pass question, but about Fantasmic this time. Does anyone know if you fastpass Fantasmic, does that just allow you to get into Hollywood Bowl faster, or does it also guarantee you will be able to get into it. We have dinner reservations for 5:30 and the only Fantasmic show that night is 7:30. So, if it doesn't guarantee us a seat if we are tight on time, then I don't want to waste our only tier 1 pick on Fantasmic. .....

BenB
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by BenB » Aug Sat 15, 2015 1:14 am

Captainnobeard wrote:Ok, here's another fast pass question, but about Fantasmic this time. Does anyone know if you fastpass Fantasmic, does that just allow you to get into Hollywood Bowl faster, or does it also guarantee you will be able to get into it. We have dinner reservations for 5:30 and the only Fantasmic show that night is 7:30. So, if it doesn't guarantee us a seat if we are tight on time, then I don't want to waste our only tier 1 pick on Fantasmic. .....
We used fastpass on Fantasmic on our last trip. I'm trying to remember, but I think this is accurate. It guarantees you can get in as long as you arrive during the window. After the fastpass window, they let everyone else in and your seats are no longer guaranteed. I know when we went in, there was no special seating for Fastpass, it's just that we could get in before everyone who didn't have one.
Hoping to go back to the Magic soon.