Fastpass+

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Fastpass+

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Fri 14, 2014 2:43 pm

I know they are trying to regulate the flow more by enforcing return times after the window closes, but it still seems like they are doing it wrong since the customer is likely off doing something else on the property and was either stuck in line, in a meal (where they spent money), or something else. I am almost surprised they don't have some kind of "validate" system where spending money would extend a window.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Mar Fri 14, 2014 5:47 pm

The only problems we ran into with the FP+ system were: 1) You can only get up to 3 per day and for only 1 park per day, 2) A couple of times we were unable to secure the FPs we wanted because they were out and 3) While the app is highly useful for getting/changing FPs and checking wait times, it is a battery drainer. I was very grateful for having the app though...the lines to get FPs at the kiosks were INSANE!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Fri 14, 2014 6:40 pm

Sleepy90 wrote:...Joe lost his band in bugs life I picked up band but when we got back to the hotel found out it was not his. What is the odds two people lose their bands on the same ride. Hotel lobby deactivated his band and gave him another no problem everything sorted in around 5mins. :D
That is weird that at least two people lost their bands like that!
I'm curious, I remember reading that if you lose your band, the replacement will be grey, no matter what color you chose initially. Was that the case?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Fri 14, 2014 6:50 pm

They still haven't fixed the app? That was one of the complaints was that it was not only a resource hog (drains the battery) but also a data hog. You could switch to wifi every time you want to use the app, but that becomes a pain, unless you can comfortably disable your phone for an entire trip.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Mar Sat 15, 2014 9:28 am

Amy wrote:
Sleepy90 wrote:...Joe lost his band in bugs life I picked up band but when we got back to the hotel found out it was not his. What is the odds two people lose their bands on the same ride. Hotel lobby deactivated his band and gave him another no problem everything sorted in around 5mins. :D
I'm curious, I remember reading that if you lose your band, the replacement will be grey, no matter what color you chose initially. Was that the case?
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that Cbog40's band came off at least 3 times...but he was fortunate enough that he was able to retrieve it as soon as it fell off. (btw, his was a red band...in case for some reason it's a color thing...I never had a problem with my green one)
Wizzard419 wrote:They still haven't fixed the app? That was one of the complaints was that it was not only a resource hog (drains the battery) but also a data hog. You could switch to wifi every time you want to use the app, but that becomes a pain, unless you can comfortably disable your phone for an entire trip.
It seems better than some of the reports I'd heard about previously, but the 'resource hog' is still a problem...and (at least for me) the app was running slow and often I'd get an error message telling me there was a 'blip' in their system. It was annoying, but I'm patient enough to just try it again and it would be fine. It sure beat having to stand in line to get/change FPs!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Sat 15, 2014 11:17 am

What phone were you running it on?

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Mar Sun 16, 2014 2:44 pm

Galaxy S3

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Mar Sun 16, 2014 2:53 pm

Amy wrote:
Yes Amy the replacement band was grey. We had grey bands anyway no choice for us, the funny thing was mine had my name in but Joe's did not and the reservation was in his name :lol:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sun 16, 2014 3:05 pm

Sleepy90 wrote:
Amy wrote:
Yes Amy the replacement band was grey. We had grey bands anyway no choice for us, the funny thing was mine had my name in but Joe's did not and the reservation was in his name :lol:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Sun 16, 2014 3:35 pm

MmeLeota wrote:Galaxy S3
Ah that might be the problem, since it appears to be a 2012 phone. It will run, but can be quite slow if they didn't focus as much on older models. Appstore items have the same issue.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Mar Sun 16, 2014 3:57 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:Galaxy S3
Ah that might be the problem, since it appears to be a 2012 phone. It will run, but can be quite slow if they didn't focus as much on older models. Appstore items have the same issue.
It's scary how these days something technological that's not even 2 years old is "old". :lol:
Like I said, it was a bit slow and I kept getting error messages, but I'd take that over some of those lines any day. I can't imagine what it would be like for someone who has an older smartphone :shock:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Sun 16, 2014 5:09 pm

When your business model follows the carriers desires to have you get new hardware every year, it does become an issue for software makers (it doesn't help that Disney is generally not the best at most things) since they have to allocate resources to support it.

From what I have heard, developing for Android is also a bigger headache since they have a heavily fragmented userbase (they have more devices but not everyone is on the same level so you end up with people going to google play seeing that their specific model of phone/tablet can't run an app).

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Wed 19, 2014 3:01 pm

the app was a huge battery hog for me as well...and I have the Droid DNA which actually has a decent battery

My work-around was to put my phone in airplane mode except for the times I wanted to check wait times or look at my reservations...and to check-in at a few of my favorite attractions and restaurants on Facebook...you know...to remind all of my friends how much fun I was having while they were stuck at work. ;)

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Wed 19, 2014 3:39 pm

Yeah, smartphones have really short lifespans. That appears to be about 2 years old too. The purported expiration date for mobile phones is 22 months, it used to be just a battery change would be enough to extend it, but with new OSes/updates being rolled out to devices it can really drag things to a crawl.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Wed 19, 2014 4:00 pm

it's also true that hardware will never be good enough though...because ones it starts to catch up with what is necessary...the bar gets raised even higher

as a software developer you also have to balance offline vs online content...you can save battery life and date consumption by storing more offline content on the device...but then you take up storage space. There isn't really a silver bullet because like I said...we will continue to raise the bar

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)