Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: 2014 WDW Marathon Weekend

Post by cy1229 » Dec Wed 11, 2013 9:59 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:
cccmouse wrote:
wewantsdaredhead wrote:I didn't see a topic for this yet and with it being only about a month away...I figured I would get it rolling.
...or maybe I just need a place to talk about my jitters for attempting Dopey.

Just like last year, we are training hard, but somedays it just seems so crazy!
This past weekend on our 20 mile training run, I yelled out, (at about mile 18 or so) "This is stupid! The human body just wasn't meant to run 26 miles!!"
I guess I better suck it up and keep training...

Anyone else confirmed?
I know NaCler is doing the 10K and the Half.
cccmouse? Are you back in for the full? I don't recall...

Let's do this!!!
Am I in for the full ??? The full and the half and the 10k and the 5k and the pasta in the park... I am ALL IN! LET'S BE DOPEY!
you will probably be Grumpy a day or two afterward as well ;)
And Sleepy.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Dec Thu 12, 2013 9:22 am

If anyone starts getting Sneezy...they need to not be Bashful...calling a Doc to fix them up would end up making them Happy again ;)
Last edited by theBIGyowski on Dec Thu 12, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Dec Thu 12, 2013 9:47 am

Anyone know if when it comes to Marathon Weekends -- if the parks are busier the week BEFORE the marathon or the week AFTER? or does it matter on the specific weekend?

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Dec Thu 12, 2013 12:25 pm

Amy wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:
cccmouse wrote:Am I in for the full ??? The full and the half and the 10k and the 5k and the pasta in the park... I am ALL IN! LET'S BE DOPEY!
you will probably be Grumpy a day or two afterward as well ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am sure that I will be a bit grumpy for at least the rest of the day on Sunday. My wife still has the text message in her phone that I sent her after the full last year...it says "Well it seemed like a good idea at the time". I have no doubt that she will feel free to use that against me several times while I am limping around after everything is over.

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » Dec Thu 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Belle1082 wrote:Anyone know if when it comes to Marathon Weekends -- if the parks are busier the week BEFORE the marathon or the week AFTER? or does it matter on the specific weekend?
I can tell you that this year we flew down Saturday, I ran Sunday and We spent Mon-Fri at the parks. I was asking similar questions last year because we were trying to figure out if it would be better to spend time at the park the week before or after the run. With the help of everyone here, we determined that spending the week after at the park would be better because you could enjoy it not worrying about having to fit in training runs and any diet restrictions for training the week before the race. It also helped working off any soreness by walking through the parks the next few days as I wasn't immediately getting into a plane or or car the next day and cramping up. Although that first day at Epcot was pretty rough.

As far as crowds, We spent Monday at Epcot, Tuesday at Magic Kingdom, Wednesday at Islands of Adventure, Thursday back at the Magic Kingdom, Friday at Hollywood Studios, and then Saturday at Animal Kingdom. It wasn't until Friday that the parks started to really fill up. Monday - Wednesday even w/o fastpass I don't think we waited more then 15-20 minutes for a ride, and most we basically walked right on. Thursday started to get a bit busy but with planning and using fastpass Thursday - Saturday we were able to do pretty much everything we wanted without a lot of waiting around. We used the touring plans app from their website to look at wait times / crowd levels, etc to plan our trip and make a customized touring plan for each day. That helped a lot too. But overall I wouldn't be too worried about crowd levels.
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Dec Thu 12, 2013 1:32 pm

As far as crowds go...they will be better after the race weekend than the week leading up to it. Most of the folks in the parks the week after the marathon are runners and their families. Oh...and BTGs everywhere.

Just make sure you aren't there the weekend after the marathon...as that is MLK weekend and the parks will be flooded with locals as well as people from the Southeast taking a long weekend vacation.

I can testify that being able to walk around the parks following the races really helped me in my recoveries. The biggest thing was making sure I had good walking shoes to go along with my running ones. Sure, I was sore from running, but my feet were what hurt the most.

I'll be down there the Wednesday after the marathon this year for a quick trip...and I know seeing everyone with their race shirts and medals will be tough. Perhaps I can figure out a way to run in the 2015 or 2016 races.

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Dec Thu 12, 2013 1:59 pm

All great information! Thanks!!! I'm toying with the idea of doing the 10K during the Princess Half weekend...but not until Feb of 2015. PLENTY of time to train. hahah Actually, I would just use the 10K training app with the 14 week training process. We'll see if it all comes together. Would be lots of fun! (I hope!)

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Dec Thu 12, 2013 7:04 pm

cccmouse wrote:
wewantsdaredhead wrote:I didn't see a topic for this yet and with it being only about a month away...I figured I would get it rolling.
...or maybe I just need a place to talk about my jitters for attempting Dopey.

Just like last year, we are training hard, but somedays it just seems so crazy!
This past weekend on our 20 mile training run, I yelled out, (at about mile 18 or so) "This is stupid! The human body just wasn't meant to run 26 miles!!"
I guess I better suck it up and keep training...

Anyone else confirmed?
I know NaCler is doing the 10K and the Half.
cccmouse? Are you back in for the full? I don't recall...

Let's do this!!!
Am I in for the full ??? The full and the half and the 10k and the 5k and the pasta in the park... I am ALL IN! LET'S BE DOPEY!
Excellent. You will be able to see me finish after you go back to your room, shower have a beer and then come back to see me. Lololol
See you down there!!! Hopefully you can meetup with the SSR running group. I think we have it down to Thursday but no park picked out yet...

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Dec Thu 12, 2013 10:58 pm

The corral info is up on the RunDisney site. I am in corral M for the Half.

I plan on getting in Thursday morning and strolling around the Expo for awhile, then I have a dinner res in EPCOT. So, I vote for a meetup at either the Expo or at EPCOT. Any suggestions?

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Dec Fri 13, 2013 9:39 am

NaCler wrote:The corral info is up on the RunDisney site. I am in corral M for the Half.

I plan on getting in Thursday morning and strolling around the Expo for awhile, then I have a dinner res in EPCOT. So, I vote for a meetup at either the Expo or at EPCOT. Any suggestions?
I would be open to a meet up at EPCOT sometime on Thursday if that works for others. We have an ADR at Boma for breakfast at 9:15 and pasta in the park at EPCOT that evening at 7:00 so I will already be there later in the day but I could probably make something work earlier in the day if that works best. As we get closer to the date we can PM some phone #s to help make contact down there.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Dec Fri 13, 2013 9:43 am

I love that you guys are writing EPCOT rather than Epcot. 8-)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

PopCentury2007
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by PopCentury2007 » Dec Fri 13, 2013 10:18 am

DW and I will be doing the half this year with a group of 5. Best of luck to all who are running!
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Dec Fri 13, 2013 10:36 am

cy1229 wrote:I love that you guys are writing EPCOT rather than Epcot. 8-)
...or even better...EPCOT Center

jrcohen

Post by jrcohen » Dec Fri 13, 2013 10:43 am

cy1229 wrote:I love that you guys are writing EPCOT rather than Epcot. 8-)
This. Heck, I still say MGM Studios also.

Speaking of the SSRC has there been any word on the possibility of have the tech shirts made and sold on the Store for the site?
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Dec Sun 15, 2013 9:22 am

Mid day (or so) on Thursday at EPCOT works for us. We have an ADR at MGM at 3, so we need to roll out around 2. Maybe somewhere in WS?