Swiss Family Robinson "Hidden" Christmast Overlay

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Swiss Family Robinson "Hidden" Christmast Overlay

Post by packwingfn » Nov Tue 19, 2013 8:53 pm

So this is not major news or anything but some coworkers as part of my Adventureland team came up with an idea to our Engineering Services/Imagineering partners when Jungle Cruise was getting its overlay for Jingle Cruise. They asked if they could switch the Swissapolka track played every day in the dining room to a rare Christmas loop that used to play over in Disneyland's Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse before the switch to Tarzan's Treehouse. It went live on this past Sunday and it's a short 5 minute loop but a neat little addition to Adventureland for the holidays. So please check it out.

The track is available on the website if anyone is interested: It's under Disneyland's Christmas Medley for Treehouse :)
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Swiss Family Robinson "Hidden" Christmast Overlay

Post by Amy » Nov Wed 20, 2013 7:50 am

packwingfn wrote:So this is not major news or anything but some coworkers as part of my Adventureland team came up with an idea to our Engineering Services/Imagineering partners when Jungle Cruise was getting its overlay for Jingle Cruise. They asked if they could switch the Swissapolka track played every day in the dining room to a rare Christmas loop that used to play over in Disneyland's Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse before the switch to Tarzan's Treehouse. It went live on this past Sunday and it's a short 5 minute loop but a neat little addition to Adventureland for the holidays. So please check it out.

The track is available on the website if anyone is interested: It's under Disneyland's Christmas Medley for Treehouse :)
Nice! It is the little things that set Disney apart from the competition :D

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Nov Wed 20, 2013 10:41 am

very cool

one more reason to head to WDW in November-December

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Nov Wed 20, 2013 11:57 am

Great find! Always encourage the team to find connections to the past.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Nov Wed 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Aww, I just went there last night and skipped the treehouse. Oh well. By the way, Jingle Cruise was ok but seemed a very mild holiday overlay. Some holiday-oriented jokes (mostly Christmas) and some decorations and renamed boats. Nothing close to as elaborate as Haunted Mansion Holiday.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Wed 20, 2013 9:25 pm

horizons1 wrote:Aww, I just went there last night and skipped the treehouse. Oh well. By the way, Jingle Cruise was ok but seemed a very mild holiday overlay. Some holiday-oriented jokes (mostly Christmas) and some decorations and renamed boats. Nothing close to as elaborate as Haunted Mansion Holiday.
I wonder if they are experimenting with the Jingle Cruise this year to see how it is received by the guests. If it all goes well, maybe they are planning some more decorations next year?

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Wed 20, 2013 10:25 pm

Probably not, more likely it being an overlay that takes only a day to install and is cheap to replicate from the DLR version make it the only reason it made it to WDW.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Thu 21, 2013 7:46 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Probably not, more likely it being an overlay that takes only a day to install and is cheap to replicate from the DLR version make it the only reason it made it to WDW.
Isn't this the first year for the Jungle Cruise in DL as well?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Thu 21, 2013 5:37 pm

Yep, and it also was a single day overlay. Considering that overlays do not traditionally get used at WDW, it is possible that it was designed for DLR and it was just easy enough to replicate. So yeah, you can have the overlay that involves changing out the music and throwing up a few decorations, but you probably won't be getting HMH or Small World Holiday since both require a sizeable install time.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Thu 21, 2013 9:12 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Yep, and it also was a single day overlay. Considering that overlays do not traditionally get used at WDW, it is possible that it was designed for DLR and it was just easy enough to replicate. So yeah, you can have the overlay that involves changing out the music and throwing up a few decorations, but you probably won't be getting HMH or Small World Holiday since both require a sizeable install time.
Oh, I don't think WDW will ever get the HMH or the IASWH. I just was wondering if perhaps they will do more decorations throughout the Cruise itself if they get positive feedback on the minimal amount they did this year.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Thu 21, 2013 10:59 pm

If whatever changes can be done with little to no intrusion of guest vacations, then possibly. Otherwise...

GeoffS

Post by GeoffS » Nov Fri 22, 2013 1:46 am

Like I said before, the one-day decorating used to be the norm. Happened either Sunday or Monday after Thanksgiving overnight (usually Monday due to park closing earlier, giving them more time). Displays weren't nearly as elaborate, but it was a near miraculous change.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Fri 22, 2013 2:39 am

When was that? They have been pretty elaborate for over 15 (possibly over 20) years, plus there used to be trees set up in the moat in front of the castle. The tree alone takes weeks to set up and assemble backstage. Though, the whole reason companies are doing it earlier is that it costs a lot of money to do the setups and they want to get the most bang for their buck/get the most holiday purchases possible.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Nov Fri 22, 2013 12:25 pm

I remember watching something on either HGTV or the Travel channel a couple years ago about how WDW transforms itself for the Christmas holiday. I don't remember all the particulars, but I do remember them discussing having things put together in modular pieces backstage that are then rolled out overnight as GeoffS described, and the parks take on a miraculous transformation from autumn / Halloween to Christmas. Hubby worked security at WDW for a year (yeah... not a good year...) and he worked primarily the "graveyard" shift, and told me about the overnight transformation with bit of little-boy wide-eyed awe thrown in. Do they still do it that way, or is it a gradual transformation now?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Fri 22, 2013 2:03 pm

Yes and no... (for DLR at least), overlays take weeks (not counting the overnight overlay for JC) to install but will spend a good deal of time backstage being set up, the ride still has to close for an extended period. That is the sticking point as to why WDW will not do it for their own parks, the closure of signature attractions for overlays could wreck a once in a lifetime vacation. Area décor starts off kind of slow, such as installing the poles needed for Radiator Springs, and then it becomes more rapid with touch ups coming after it appears to be done (such as throwing a bronze santa hat on the statue in Radiator Springs).

Another reason, at least at DLR, they have been starting early is that they keep moving up filming for the Christmas day special. This year it was the first week in November, so they were pulling down all the Halloween décor and putting up the Christmas stuff.