Swiss Family Robinson "Hidden" Christmast Overlay

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Swiss Family Robinson "Hidden" Christmast Overlay

Post by cy1229 » Nov Fri 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Yes and no... (for DLR at least), overlays take weeks (not counting the overnight overlay for JC) to install but will spend a good deal of time backstage being set up, the ride still has to close for an extended period. That is the sticking point as to why WDW will not do it for their own parks, the closure of signature attractions for overlays could wreck a once in a lifetime vacation. Area décor starts off kind of slow, such as installing the poles needed for Radiator Springs, and then it becomes more rapid with touch ups coming after it appears to be done (such as throwing a bronze santa hat on the statue in Radiator Springs).

Another reason, at least at DLR, they have been starting early is that they keep moving up filming for the Christmas day special. This year it was the first week in November, so they were pulling down all the Halloween décor and putting up the Christmas stuff.
You're a good person to ask - our high school is traveling to California over Thanksgiving (they leave Wednesday) to march in the Christmas parade. Do you know when / on which network that will be televised? Both of my daughters are dating band geeks.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Fri 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Which parade (there are several)? If it is the Disney one that is just ABC.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Fri 22, 2013 5:49 pm

So this means I won't get to hear my fav. Swiss Family organ tune while we're there?! :cry:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Fri 22, 2013 6:17 pm

And this is why WDW can't have holiday overlays. :D

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Nov Fri 22, 2013 9:18 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Which parade (there are several)? If it is the Disney one that is just ABC.
Pretty sure it's Disney.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Fri 22, 2013 9:21 pm

If it is at DLR then our weekly updates from MiceChat are wrong again (I am blinded by their wrong-ness) then that would just be the usual ABC coverage on Christmas morning. If it were the Hollywood Christmas Parade that would vary by local market I would imagine since no major network has ties to it and that is at the start of the month I think.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Nov Sat 23, 2013 7:26 am

Wizzard419 wrote:If it is at DLR then our weekly updates from MiceChat are wrong again (I am blinded by their wrong-ness) then that would just be the usual ABC coverage on Christmas morning. If it were the Hollywood Christmas Parade that would vary by local market I would imagine since no major network has ties to it and that is at the start of the month I think.
Ok I finally found out the tiny little place on the bands website. It's the Hollywood Christmas Parade, not Disney. I'll have to scour the listings to find it. Ugh.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sat 23, 2013 8:41 am

cy1229 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:If it is at DLR then our weekly updates from MiceChat are wrong again (I am blinded by their wrong-ness) then that would just be the usual ABC coverage on Christmas morning. If it were the Hollywood Christmas Parade that would vary by local market I would imagine since no major network has ties to it and that is at the start of the month I think.
Ok I finally found out the tiny little place on the bands website. It's the Hollywood Christmas Parade, not Disney. I'll have to scour the listings to find it. Ugh.
Wouldn't the band director have the broadcast information?

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Nov Sat 23, 2013 12:12 pm

Wizz,

Just for clarification, it WAS close to 30 years ago. I only remember it because my father would take his vacation around that time, and his company gave him DL tickets, so we would spend almost every morning in the park while he explained all the ride technology (he was an engineer). I would see Thanksgiving stuff one day, and then Christmas the next. I have no idea how they did it.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Sat 23, 2013 1:52 pm

cy1229 wrote:
The website http://thehollywoodchristmasparade.org/ lists it as airing on the Hallmark channel, if you have that, and it usually airs on the networks that aren't CBS, NBC, Fox, and ABC. In Los Angeles it appears that it will be on the CW.

Yeah, 30 years ago they kind of treated the holidays as a thing that happens and put less effort into the decorating and the parade didn't have as much production going into it since they had only started it in 83. Now they use custom built stages, pyro, top recording pop artists for WDW and people who were big in the 90's and are now on their way to rehab after performing for DLR, and they also lean way harder on the subtle sell for the parade now.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Nov Sat 23, 2013 2:36 pm

Found it! Thanks!

Now I just have to remember to set the DVR in a week. Wish me luck...
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Sat 23, 2013 2:51 pm

Worst comes to worst you can always watch it online or download it via a torrent site.