Parking At Magic Kingdom advice needed

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

jgarmer
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Parking At Magic Kingdom advice needed

Post by jgarmer » Oct Sun 13, 2013 8:50 am

We are going in a couple days to the Happiest place on earth. We are doing a day at MK but will be staying off resort. Are there any tips to get to MK to avoid the main parking lot. I see where some suggest Epcot lot and take the monorail. But the day we are going is a long day ending at 1:00 am don't know if the monorails to Epcot run that late.

Suggestions,

Thanks

joe
Last edited by jgarmer on Oct Sun 13, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Re: Parking At Magic Kingom advice needed

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Oct Sun 13, 2013 10:35 am

I don't believe the epcot monorail will be running that late. (Unless for some reason epcot was open until 11 that night...it might be running)

But the bigger question is why are you trying to avoid that lot?
Part of the thrill for me is taking that boat or monorail over there...

I guess you could park at DTD and then go to a resort and then over to MK but that's a big hassle.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Parking At Magic Kingom advice needed

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Sun 13, 2013 11:26 am

If the hotel lots are open for non-hotel guests, you might try there, it would cost more but you wouldn't be in that lot.

The monorails might actually keep running, depending on what time MK/Epcot closes. Here is a quote from Disney's mom panel.

The Epcot monorail, again originating from the Ticket Transportation Center begins its day right around 8am and will run until approximately 90 minutes after the closing of Epcot or Magic Kingdom (which ever closes latest that day).

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Re: Parking At Magic Kingdom advice needed

Post by cousininmiami » Oct Sun 13, 2013 9:36 pm

It might be nice taking the Monorail back to the EPCOT parking lot, because for one the Monorail goes through Future World on the way back. It might be interesting (and pretty for picture taking) to go through EPCOT all lit up with no people around! But my question is this.... are there trams that late at EPCOT going from the Monorail exit to your car? It could be quite late.
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Sun 13, 2013 11:24 pm

Hmmm, I just noticed that the original poster noted that they were going to be there in a few days. So the MK and Epcot on Weds is closing at 11 PM (Epcot will go to EMH from 9-11 PM), which would mean (if the Disney mom's panel is right) the monorails would cease operation at 1 AM. I am not sure what your plans are for the 2 hours after everything closes though.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 14, 2013 6:49 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Hmmm, I just noticed that the original poster noted that they were going to be there in a few days. So the MK and Epcot on Weds is closing at 11 PM (Epcot will go to EMH from 9-11 PM), which would mean (if the Disney mom's panel is right) the monorails would cease operation at 1 AM. I am not sure what your plans are for the 2 hours after everything closes though.
If the monorails are closed by the time they are leaving, there should be buses available to take them to their car.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Mon 14, 2013 3:47 pm

Do they operate 24/7? I've not driven at WDW, but do the lots also lock up at night? That might also be a concern if you were to come back late and suddenly not be able to leave.

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Oct Mon 14, 2013 4:14 pm

Just park in the lot at MK and take the Tram in. Seems Easier to me :lol: :goofy:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Mon 14, 2013 4:29 pm

They kind of pointed out that they don't want to do that. I wonder if whatever hotel they are staying at (off property) is easier/faster to get to from the Epcot lot than the MK lot?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 14, 2013 8:04 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Do they operate 24/7? I've not driven at WDW, but do the lots also lock up at night? That might also be a concern if you were to come back late and suddenly not be able to leave.
I don't think they would let anyone be locked up in a lot. They might not be overly pleased to have people wandering the parking lot really late at night, but I'm sure they wouldn't bar you from leaving.

jgarmer

Post by jgarmer » Oct Mon 14, 2013 8:13 pm

Original poster here. Thanks for the info and thoughts. I'll let you know how it goes. My gut tells me the monorails will be running as people will leave Epcot when it closes and go to MK since its open till 1am with a park hopper option and they will have to consider that when the transportation schedule is made and no one would get in there car and drive over to MK lot when they can just hop on monorail.

joe

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 14, 2013 8:21 pm

jgarmer wrote:Original poster here. Thanks for the info and thoughts. I'll let you know how it goes. My gut tells me the monorails will be running as people will leave Epcot when it closes and go to MK since its open till 1am with a park hopper option and they will have to consider that when the transportation schedule is made and no one would get in there car and drive over to MK lot when they can just hop on monorail.

joe
Is there a reason why you want to park in a different park's lot? Is it simply to be able to ride the monorail?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Mon 14, 2013 8:48 pm

Amy wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:Do they operate 24/7? I've not driven at WDW, but do the lots also lock up at night? That might also be a concern if you were to come back late and suddenly not be able to leave.
I don't think they would let anyone be locked up in a lot. They might not be overly pleased to have people wandering the parking lot really late at night, but I'm sure they wouldn't bar you from leaving.
They would probably just tow your car and you would have to deal with the impound lot.

Though, if riding the monorail were critical, wouldn't they be able to still ride it if they parked at the MK lot since it is served by a boat and monorail?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 14, 2013 8:59 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:
Amy wrote:
They would probably just tow your car and you would have to deal with the impound lot.

Though, if riding the monorail were critical, wouldn't they be able to still ride it if they parked at the MK lot since it is served by a boat and monorail?
I doubt they tow cars from the lots every night. Maybe if a car is left several days or weeks, but I wouldn't think just overnight.
Yes, I would guess there is some alternate reason they don't want to park in the MK lot, but I don't know why...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Mon 14, 2013 9:13 pm

They most likely do, partially for cleaning, and also because there is a lot of money involved in car impound to the point that it has become a popular form of extortion.