All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Changes coming to Norway Pavillion

Post by cy1229 » Oct Thu 10, 2013 3:56 pm

Amazing.

Would that I never develop such a cynical outlook on life.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Thu 10, 2013 4:25 pm

It isn't cynical when that is the purpose of it's entire existence. Otherwise it would be a federally funded landmark with free admission. What cultural significance does going to the top of the Eiffel tower provide?

pirateatheart
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by pirateatheart » Oct Fri 11, 2013 7:15 am

Did i ready this would be comeing in Nov of this year?

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Dec Fri 06, 2013 5:34 pm

pirateatheart wrote:Did i ready this would be comeing in Nov of this year?
When I was at the parks in early November, we did see the Frozen princesses. Of course now after seeing the movie, I wish I could go back and pay more attention to any 'Frozen' stuff.
The movie was great though -- and I can totally see the boost in the Norway pavilion and connection to a different culture. More kids will definitely want to go to Norway than any other time before!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Fri 06, 2013 11:36 pm

They have been really weird in promoting the movie, the meet and greets for the domestic parks have been up before the characters were even revealed.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Sat 07, 2013 12:27 pm

I'm pretty sure I saw Elsa or Anna last night. She walked by us as we were waiting by the restroom for Figment and I knew it was some sort of character as her dress and hairstyle was obviously Disney. She said hello as she walked past and returned the greeting without it registering who it might be. I'm banking on one of those characters though because she was walking througj a very crowded area without anyone noticing.

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Sharonofwindham » Dec Sat 07, 2013 12:59 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Pretty much all of the pavilions suffer from the same "tour bus" viewpoint, they don't show life or even modern culture. Just old crap that people saw in movies 70 years ago and expect to be true.
World Showcase is there to entertain and give people a relaxing, fun experience. I believe that's why it reflects these countries the way it does. If Disney delivered "true to life" experiences of what life is really like today in some of these places...well, I really don't think it would be a pleasant experience to say the least. Sorry, while on my WDW vacation I'll take the history lesson, or mythical view any day. Besides if the tables are turned do you think these countries would depict the U.S. accurately? Um, yeah...sure thing

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Sat 07, 2013 2:16 pm

Considering the gonzo foods that come out of Japan, I would say probably more accurate than our portrayal of them. :D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Sat 07, 2013 4:45 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Pretty much all of the pavilions suffer from the same "tour bus" viewpoint, they don't show life or even modern culture. Just old crap that people saw in movies 70 years ago and expect to be true.
That's true about every country in EPCOT World Showcase!

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Dec Mon 09, 2013 9:59 am

mindflipper wrote:
Doesn't seem to be doing anyone harm and all the people working there are from there and they seem happy to represent their country. I feel like the people are the best representation...we've had some good experiences with the people and getting to know them and their cultures in that way. I appreciate their openness and friendliness!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Dec Mon 09, 2013 11:21 am

Belle1082 wrote:
mindflipper wrote:
Doesn't seem to be doing anyone harm and all the people working there are from there and they seem happy to represent their country. I feel like the people are the best representation...we've had some good experiences with the people and getting to know them and their cultures in that way. I appreciate their openness and friendliness!
Wholeheartedly agree. I've told the story before about my older daughter's excitement and interest in Norway after our 2001 trip to WDW. It was only because our waiter at lunch was so attentive to her little-girl questions about what children in Norway like to do, and what life was like in Norway. We in our American-ness tend to be boorish with respect to other cultures and traditions, and the ex-pat employees in the WS graciously overlook this, at least on the outside. :) I have a dear friend who lives in India, in one of the most poverty-stricken areas. When we think of India we don't think of children running around in tattered clothes without shoes, being sick because of poor nutrition and a lack of access to clean drinking water, but that is my friend's experience in India. Do we really want to see REALITY on vacation? Why would we go to on vacation in the first place?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

MW1218
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MW1218 » Dec Mon 09, 2013 11:43 am

cy1229 wrote: Not surprised. Just disappointed that they're taking out something that truly reflects Norway (or any other country under any other similar circumstances, for that matter) and dumping in a "story" of how the movie came to be. It will be irrelevant in a year, as has been most of the new "princess" movies that Disney has made in the last few years. Key exception is "Brave," which is a Pixar movie, not just a Disney movie.
Tangled is a massive hit for the Walt Disney Studios.

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Dec Mon 09, 2013 12:01 pm

Exactly. It is all about the people. Those are the things you remember the most and the best example of real life in another country. :-)

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Dec Mon 09, 2013 2:47 pm

MW1218 wrote:
cy1229 wrote: Not surprised. Just disappointed that they're taking out something that truly reflects Norway (or any other country under any other similar circumstances, for that matter) and dumping in a "story" of how the movie came to be. It will be irrelevant in a year, as has been most of the new "princess" movies that Disney has made in the last few years. Key exception is "Brave," which is a Pixar movie, not just a Disney movie.
Tangled is a massive hit for the Walt Disney Studios.
Yep. But they're not putting Tangled in, they're putting references to Frozen in.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Mon 09, 2013 3:15 pm

The key is "Seems happy", considering various behavioral issues that workers have had and having to take crap from tourists while making less than min wage and probably paying most of it back to your employer to live in their housing... they probably would love to tell you how they feel about misrepresenting their culture. :D