Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Changes coming to Norway Pavillion

Post by cy1229 » Oct Tue 08, 2013 7:27 pm

File this under "Really?! Seriously?!"

From the AllEars.net newsletter today:
AllEars.net wrote:The Disney Parks Blog announced that Frozen (in theaters November 27, 2013) will have a presence at both Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resort. Anna and her sister Elsa will appear in the Norway pavilion at Epcot for meet and greets. Also in Norway, the current exhibit in the Stave Church will be transformed to show how Norway inspired the filmmakers to create Frozen. At Disneyland, you will find Olaf the snowman in Fantasyland. As previously announced, Olaf will also host the new World of Color version called "World of Color - Winter Dreams" in Disney California Adventure.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Changes coming to Norway Pavillion

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Tue 08, 2013 11:47 pm

You sound surprised that Disney would use cross-platform marketing.

Zillerzap
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by Zillerzap » Oct Wed 09, 2013 9:03 am

cy1229 wrote:File this under "Really?! Seriously?!"

From the AllEars.net newsletter today:
AllEars.net wrote:The Disney Parks Blog announced that Frozen (in theaters November 27, 2013) will have a presence at both Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resort. Anna and her sister Elsa will appear in the Norway pavilion at Epcot for meet and greets. Also in Norway, the current exhibit in the Stave Church will be transformed to show how Norway inspired the filmmakers to create Frozen. At Disneyland, you will find Olaf the snowman in Fantasyland. As previously announced, Olaf will also host the new World of Color version called "World of Color - Winter Dreams" in Disney California Adventure.
Any word on how soon they will appear? We will be down there in early November.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Oct Wed 09, 2013 12:04 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:You sound surprised that Disney would use cross-platform marketing.
Not surprised. Just disappointed that they're taking out something that truly reflects Norway (or any other country under any other similar circumstances, for that matter) and dumping in a "story" of how the movie came to be. It will be irrelevant in a year, as has been most of the new "princess" movies that Disney has made in the last few years. Key exception is "Brave," which is a Pixar movie, not just a Disney movie.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Wed 09, 2013 3:41 pm

Brave is also the (paraphrasing here) turning point for when princesses went from Victoria's secret models to Sears models. :D

It is kind of a dead exhibit (it always looks closed), so foot traffic may also pump more money into the exhibit for future updates.

It is a little odd that they already offer lessons on how to draw Olaf so far in advance of the movie, since children have no idea who it is they even have to add the movie title in on the schedule slot at DCA.

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Oct Wed 09, 2013 8:06 pm

There will also be a small change to Celebrate the Magic to include the film. The dates of the meet and greet are Nov 27th through Jan 4th. At least Disney isn't implementing Frozen into Malestrom.

Based on the trailer and clip, I fear that Olaf is going to ruin the film. But hey it's still too early to tell for certain.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Wed 09, 2013 8:37 pm

They might as well since it hasn't had a content update since it opened... that video (like most of the movies in world showcase) is borderline offensive considering how dated they are.

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Oct Wed 09, 2013 8:53 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:They might as well since it hasn't had a content update since it opened... that video (like most of the movies in world showcase) is borderline offensive considering how dated they are.
I was talking a bit more of the ride itself but Disney does need to update the movie afterwards. Disney could shoot new scenes and have narration by the main actors and actresses from the movie. I think that wouldn't be bad. I didn't mind the implementation of the Planes characters in the city name scroll in Soarin before the safety video. At least that's not in the actual Soarin attraction itself.

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Wed 09, 2013 9:00 pm

The ride itself needs a content update as well, Norway isn't huge on that content either and it ignores their massive influence on the mobile world.

They already try to distance themselves from the troll and fairy stuff, since that is just stuff that tourists and whatever they call their version of Laplanders enjoy.

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Oct Wed 09, 2013 9:14 pm

It's funny that Disney originally was going to have the ride entirely centered around trolls, but the Norwegian sponsors wanted to show other aspects.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Wed 09, 2013 9:28 pm

Pretty much all of the pavilions suffer from the same "tour bus" viewpoint, they don't show life or even modern culture. Just old crap that people saw in movies 70 years ago and expect to be true.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Oct Thu 10, 2013 8:53 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Pretty much all of the pavilions suffer from the same "tour bus" viewpoint, they don't show life or even modern culture. Just old crap that people saw in movies 70 years ago and expect to be true.
Well wait a second... it's true that the pavilions are pretty cliche in a lot of respects, but Disney also did a lot to try to be as authentic as possible. The Morocco pavilion was supervised by the architect for the king (prince? something royal) of Morocco himself to ensure its authenticity. It is called the World Showcase, so they're going to showcase the things about their countries that most people enjoy. I, personally, wouldn't go to Kyoto so I could hang in a modern apartment and just do what people like me do. I would want to experience the history and cultural differences, and see the traditional architecture. So that the pavilions are a little cheesy is ok - even expected. My daughter didn't go to London, Paris, and Madrid to go to McDonald's and play video games in another language. She went to "see the sites" and experience aspects of another culture somewhat different from our own. Having the pavilions highlight the differences rather than modern culture that is, truth be told, just the same as our own with minor differences, just makes sense.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Thu 10, 2013 2:14 pm

Period authentic/approval of a cultural minister is not the same as being a reflection of what life is like in said countries. The main reason that Morocco had a supervisor was due to religious rules over how buildings and design (apparently the Koran was the first HOA). When the pavilions note how they reflect the culture of whatever country they represent, they really don't. It would be like saying colonial Williamsburg is a modern representation of the US.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Oct Thu 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Period authentic/approval of a cultural minister is not the same as being a reflection of what life is like in said countries. The main reason that Morocco had a supervisor was due to religious rules over how buildings and design (apparently the Koran was the first HOA). When the pavilions note how they reflect the culture of whatever country they represent, they really don't. It would be like saying colonial Williamsburg is a modern representation of the US.
But Williamsburg is an important representation of our culture. Understanding how Colonial America was helps understand why we fought for independence and why we are so dead set against having a monarch or any ruler (Senators seem to be excluded here) that is in charge for longer than 8 years. To say Williamsburg does not represent American culture is to ignore from whence we came.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Thu 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Actually it is just a tourist trap that whitewashes history. It is the same with most landmarks, they do not convey any aspect of the culture beyond that the enjoyed tourists coming to see things.

If I recall, the people of the US were not so dead set against a monarch, considering they did want it to be King Washington, rather than president. Also, you should see the youtube channel his former slave put out (well, an actress who was a slave at Mt Vernon) Google "Ask a slave".