2013 Wine & Dine Half Marathon anyone?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: 2013 Wine & Dine Half Marathon anyone?

Post by cy1229 » Oct Thu 10, 2013 9:09 am

laurie5658 wrote:
That is AWESOME! That is totally something I would want during a race...I love that!
For those of you experienced runners - what do you think is a good 'starter' race to train for and run. I've run 5K's (not very fast) and really don't enjoy running, but I think it would be a great goal and bucket list thing to achieve. ESPECIALLY in DW!
I would say that for women a great RunDisney racing event to start with would be Princess Half Marathon towards the end of February. So much fun and its a great starter for a new runner wishing to go for that distance run. To me, the half marathon distance is the perfect distance and if you remain consistent and patient with your running you will get there.

Sidenote...when I started running in 2009 at age 50 I hated it too BUt something kept me going. Now, I love it!!!!!!
You've just inspired me! I'm 45 and really need to get my couch-potato butt moving. Makes me feel better to know an avid runner started "late" in life. I probably won't be a runner unless something miraculous occurs, but I can walk!!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

laurie5658
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by laurie5658 » Oct Thu 10, 2013 9:23 am

You've just inspired me! I'm 45 and really need to get my couch-potato butt moving. Makes me feel better to know an avid runner started "late" in life. I probably won't be a runner unless something miraculous occurs, but I can walk!!
You can do it! I am now 55 and have finished 4 full marathons including Goofy Challenge (unofficial Dopey actually) 2013, 27 Half marathons and countless 5k races. These achievements just don't happen as it takes a lot of time and commitment BUT it is so worth it. Running actually changes your life in ways you never dreamed of. If you need any help getting started, just simply ask me!!! I love helping new runner and sharing running stories with all!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Oct Thu 10, 2013 9:30 am

laurie5658 wrote:
You can do it! I am now 55 and have finished 4 full marathons including Goofy Challenge (unofficial Dopey actually) 2013, 27 Half marathons and countless 5k races. These achievements just don't happen as it takes a lot of time and commitment BUT it is so worth it. Running actually changes your life in ways you never dreamed of. If you need any help getting started, just simply ask me!!! I love helping new runner and sharing running stories with all!
When I was a baby learning to walk, I was turning my legs outward. "Pigeon toed" they called it. So, I wore a night brace from hip-to-toe that held my legs together with my toes pointed forward. I don't know if it's the brace, or how my legs were developing, or what, but any time I have ever tried to run more than a few steps, my feet start to drag and I ultimately trip myself up, often winding up spread eagle. So, I walk, and do stuff that doesn't involve running.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Oct Thu 10, 2013 10:10 am

If you have an iphone and probably any android phones - there are a ton of great running apps. I use Couch to 5K which is awesome. It tells you when to start running and stop running and gradually helps you increase your running stamina. Plus, you can be listening to whatever music you have on your phone, iTunes, Pandora, SUBSONIC, and the voice will simply turn down your music and tell you what to do and then the music will start back up again. So great!

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Oct Thu 10, 2013 11:13 am

Anyone can complete a half marathon...baring a physical impairment that gets in the way. Many races have a 15-16 minute-per-mile pace you must keep up...which is more like a brisk walk. So if you can jog a few miles...then walk the rest...you can finish the 13.1 miles to get to the finish line. Of course this assumes you have done some training. I think Disney requires a pace no slower than 13 minutes-per-mile...which is more than a brisk walk...but again if you can jog a mile then walk a mile and so on...you can complete the race.

I've done 4 Half Marathons...2 at WDW...1 in Nashville, TN...and 1 in my hometown. I was overweight and out of shape several years ago (2007) and really wanted to go to WDW...duh. So I signed myself up for the WDW half for the following January on the day registration opened. I knew that a WDW vacation was motivation enough for me to get my lazy rear end in shape enough to finish the race. I had never run more than 8 miles before...and that was in high school when I was in incredible shape. Was it hard? Heck yeah. Was it worth every step? Yes...and more. If I can figure out how to keep my knees from going out after 10 miles...I'll try to train for the Full at WDW.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Thu 10, 2013 2:43 pm

I agree that 1/2 marathon is a good distance. Again, if you are able to. I have limitations, as much as I would LOVE to run a full, it will never happen for me. I have mechanical issues and my condition flares up from time to time, I run b/c I love to run and it's cheaper than therapy! :wink: But, when I can't, I have to try and find other outlets. Then you have someone like my dad (God bless him and keep him the way he is) he's going to be 66, started running in his 50's and can kick my a** any day of the week, he's amazing!

What I'm trying to say, is whatever you abilities allow, set goals for yourself and achieve them! It's amazingly satisifying! :D If you're not able to do a 1/2, then aim for a 10K, there are also alot of 8K's, and 5 mile races out there! And if you are good at accomplishing 5ks, stick with those!

Disney has just about every race, and they allow you that pace time, so even if you had to run/walk, you would most likely be able to finish!!! :D

laurie5658
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by laurie5658 » Oct Thu 10, 2013 2:48 pm

boilerbabe wrote:
Disney has just about every race, and they allow you that pace time, so even if you had to run/walk, you would most likely be able to finish!!! :D
Agreed and in fact I once saw a runner finish a Disney race doing cartwheels! Bottom line...just keep moving!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Thu 10, 2013 2:50 pm

laurie5658 wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:
Agreed and in fact I once saw a runner finish a Disney race doing cartwheels! Bottom line...just keep moving!
WOAH! That is what you call talent!!!!! :lol: I was just happy to cross the finish in '12!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Oct Thu 10, 2013 2:54 pm

boilerbabe wrote:
laurie5658 wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:
WOAH! That is what you call talent!!!!! :lol: I was just happy to cross the finish in '12!
Yeah, a cartwheel is something else I never learned to do.... so you won't see me attempting one any time soon. :lol:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

laurie5658
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by laurie5658 » Oct Thu 10, 2013 2:56 pm

At my local marathon a few weeks ago there was a gentleman from Florida that came up and ran the full marathon backwards AND juggling. Just Google the juggling marathon runner. It was really something to see!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Thu 10, 2013 8:08 pm

Wow ~ all the inspirational stories! I am definitely not a runner, but I am trying to walk more to get back into better shape. I wish we lived closer cy1229 so we could walk together.
I never learned how to do a cartwheel until my freshman year in high school. It was a requirement for being on the pom squad so I learned pretty quickly ~ amazing what motivates someone isn't it? I don't think I would attempt one now though :shock: