2013 Wine & Dine Half Marathon anyone?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

BuDz211
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Re: 2013 Wine & Dine Half Marathon anyone?

Post by BuDz211 » Oct Mon 07, 2013 2:48 pm

I may be forced to do the ToT 10-miler next year since I can only visit in late September but I definitely will put the Wine and Dine Half on my list. Thanks for the responses!
Image Image

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Oct Tue 08, 2013 1:37 pm

DW and I hope we can run the W&D Half one day. We were hoping maybe to do it this year...but too many things got in the way of our training, timing, and finances. Perhaps next year...or maybe even 2015 would be more realistic. Just depends on when we decide to grow our family as to if we can go next year.

I have a few WDW Half medals that need to go on display somewhere...and I used to always do my long runs at night when I was in college...so getting to race at night sounds like a blast.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Oct Tue 08, 2013 2:09 pm

I would absolutely LOVE to run in one of these races...maybe not the full marathon but one of them. I just can't decide if it would be worth it for a regular trip...considering that I wouldn't want it at the beginning of the trip because then I might be sore with all of the walking around the parks...but then I wouldn't want it to be at the end because I would be nervous all week leading up to it and wouldn't fully be able to enjoy the trip!
Still though...bucket list for sure!

Anyone ran a bunch of races and have a favorite?

laurie5658
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by laurie5658 » Oct Tue 08, 2013 2:43 pm

I always plan our racing trips with the race early on. I would rather be a touch sore (I never really am) than nervous and I am ALWAYS nervous. it all comes down to whar works for you.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Oct Tue 08, 2013 2:50 pm

strangely...doing the race first...then the "vacation" second is the best approach as walking around afterwards is good for the muscles and recovery

you just have to know ahead of time that you will be a bit sore...especially your feet

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Tue 08, 2013 7:12 pm

I'm with you Laurie! We put the race at the very beginning of our Disney trip! Like you said nerves....I love to do the race and then you know you've got allllll the rest of the time to enjoy and bask in your achievement! I love when you see people walking about the parks sporting their medals! We have an awesome pic with Donald, my and I have our 1/2 medals on, Donald held one in each hand for the pic! (lemme see if I can find it to post). Then he high fived us! So cute!!!

I was a little sore after the 1/2, but not bad at all. If you've done your training, you should be ok. And soaking the night after the race never hurts either. You can always tells the runners that have done the "Goofy" they walk really funnny! :wink: Including my cousin in '12, he went Dopey, ran the 5K on Fri. then both races on the weekend and PRed! He's incredible. We had to help him on/off the rides the rest of the week, but so worth it!

The ToT run did rock, but my fav. is still the 1/2 in Jan! We've done it twice, hope to return again to race it one of these days. I get goose bumps just thinking about it!!!! Truly is "Magical"!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Tue 08, 2013 8:40 pm

Great photo of you and your Dad with Donald!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Tue 08, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks Amy! Donald was so cute!

laurie5658
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by laurie5658 » Oct Wed 09, 2013 8:38 am

BBabe, that is an awesome photo! Walking around the parks sporting finisher's medals is the best fun!!!

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Oct Wed 09, 2013 1:00 pm

That's awesome! Maybe someday I will get around to training and going for a race! The ToT race sounds like a blast. I just feel like it would be so much easier to run long distance if you are running THROUGH the parks and you have characters cheering you on! :-)

laurie5658
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by laurie5658 » Oct Wed 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Belle1082 wrote:That's awesome! Maybe someday I will get around to training and going for a race! The ToT race sounds like a blast. I just feel like it would be so much easier to run long distance if you are running THROUGH the parks and you have characters cheering you on! :-)
You are so right! I ran Goofy this year and running through the parks made all the difference in the world...Disney World that is!!!!! So many distractions!

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Oct Wed 09, 2013 2:16 pm

That's awesome! I can't even imagine...although I feel like I would get so distracted it would make it so much easier. That is usually my running downfall - getting bored and thinking too much about how much I hate running. lol
So exciting though and what an accomplishment!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Wed 09, 2013 9:16 pm

Yea, what Laurie said, there are so many distractions! The two 1/2's we ran in Disney went by soooo fast!!!! I remember getting to Mile 9 both races and thinking "already?!" :shock: Going through the parks is awesome and they have entertainment along the way in between the parks. I loved the green soldiers from Toy Story, they were towards the end yelling "move it move it!" :D

P.S. Congrats Laurie on your Goofy accomplishment!!!! Truly amazing!!!

Funny side story...my cousin that went Dopey in '12...my family and I were getting text updates on where he was during the full, we were staying at the Boardwalk, so we were going to be literally right there at mile 23 for him, and we handed him a cold beer! We put it in paper cup with a lid, w/o missing a stride, he grabbed the cup, popped the lid off and kept drinking it as he ran! He PRed that race too! It was hilarious, I'll never forget it!!!! :lol: He said that cold beer really made a difference! :wink:

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Oct Thu 10, 2013 8:18 am

boilerbabe wrote:Yea, what Laurie said, there are so many distractions! The two 1/2's we ran in Disney went by soooo fast!!!! I remember getting to Mile 9 both races and thinking "already?!" :shock: Going through the parks is awesome and they have entertainment along the way in between the parks. I loved the green soldiers from Toy Story, they were towards the end yelling "move it move it!" :D

P.S. Congrats Laurie on your Goofy accomplishment!!!! Truly amazing!!!

Funny side story...my cousin that went Dopey in '12...my family and I were getting text updates on where he was during the full, we were staying at the Boardwalk, so we were going to be literally right there at mile 23 for him, and we handed him a cold beer! We put it in paper cup with a lid, w/o missing a stride, he grabbed the cup, popped the lid off and kept drinking it as he ran! He PRed that race too! It was hilarious, I'll never forget it!!!! :lol: He said that cold beer really made a difference! :wink:
That is AWESOME! That is totally something I would want during a race...I love that!
For those of you experienced runners - what do you think is a good 'starter' race to train for and run. I've run 5K's (not very fast) and really don't enjoy running, but I think it would be a great goal and bucket list thing to achieve. ESPECIALLY in DW!

laurie5658
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by laurie5658 » Oct Thu 10, 2013 8:55 am

That is AWESOME! That is totally something I would want during a race...I love that!
For those of you experienced runners - what do you think is a good 'starter' race to train for and run. I've run 5K's (not very fast) and really don't enjoy running, but I think it would be a great goal and bucket list thing to achieve. ESPECIALLY in DW!
I would say that for women a great RunDisney racing event to start with would be Princess Half Marathon towards the end of February. So much fun and its a great starter for a new runner wishing to go for that distance run. To me, the half marathon distance is the perfect distance and if you remain consistent and patient with your running you will get there.

Sidenote...when I started running in 2009 at age 50 I hated it too BUt something kept me going. Now, I love it!!!!!!