Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

Post by Amy » Oct Sun 06, 2013 9:28 pm

cy1229 wrote:I could have SWORN that my stepdad had to give a credit card when he made our ADR's and didn't want to miss them AT ALL because he'd be charged $10 / person, $90 in total. That is one big fat bummer about ADR's, they do overlord your trip. But, try to get into a restaurant to eat where you want without one... Tres difficile!
Was it a signature restaurant or a character meal? Those were covered by the cancellation policy back in 2011. This latest policy affects all table service restaurants now.
Here is a link to the disney food blog's nice FAQ about the changes to the policy ~ http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/10/0 ... ervations/

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Sun 06, 2013 9:32 pm

We usually only make 2-3 ADR's per trip, we hate being tied down to a set schedule! We usually make an itinerary and then see what the day brings us! :D

I can see this new policy may be a pain to those that like to book a bunch of ADR's, like cy1229 said, if you don't , good luck getting into the sitdowns. :roll:

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Sun 06, 2013 10:55 pm

Other than with the character ones, and a few of the sit-down places, you can get into many of the sit-down places with a same day ADR if you were going on a non-peak day.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 07, 2013 9:11 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Other than with the character ones, and a few of the sit-down places, you can get into many of the sit-down places with a same day ADR if you were going on a non-peak day.
I've never tried, but to hear people talk, if you don't book the 180 days ahead you aren't able to get in. I would think there is some availability, although perhaps not at the more popular restaurants like Le Cellier. This latest revision to the cancellation policy should free things up though.

laurie5658
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by laurie5658 » Oct Mon 07, 2013 9:43 am

Amy wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:Other than with the character ones, and a few of the sit-down places, you can get into many of the sit-down places with a same day ADR if you were going on a non-peak day.
I've never tried, but to hear people talk, if you don't book the 180 days ahead you aren't able to get in. I would think there is some availability, although perhaps not at the more popular restaurants like Le Cellier. This latest revision to the cancellation policy should free things up though.
Le Cellier is almost impossible to get a decent time unless you set the clock for the very first moment you can make your ADR's. That is even an iffy proposition. It's like playing the lottery trying to get in the PERIOD.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Oct Mon 07, 2013 11:01 am

Amy wrote:
cy1229 wrote:I could have SWORN that my stepdad had to give a credit card when he made our ADR's and didn't want to miss them AT ALL because he'd be charged $10 / person, $90 in total. That is one big fat bummer about ADR's, they do overlord your trip. But, try to get into a restaurant to eat where you want without one... Tres difficile!
Was it a signature restaurant or a character meal? Those were covered by the cancellation policy back in 2011. This latest policy affects all table service restaurants now.
Here is a link to the disney food blog's nice FAQ about the changes to the policy ~ http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/10/0 ... ervations/
No, it was for places like Mama Melrose and 'Ohana. I imagine it was the size of our party that did it. We ate at 5-5:30 pm every evening, which was too early for mine and hubby's liking as it negated the desire for using a snack credit in the afternoon or evening. We prefer to eat around 7:30, but truth be told, if we really wanted to eat someplace we'd take an odd meal time and just adjust the rest of the day. I doubt that we'll get either the dining plan or make a bunch of ADR's for our next trip. There are only 2 or 3 places that we really want to eat at.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Mon 07, 2013 12:10 pm

I believe last year we got into Sci-Fi w/o an ADR, so it never hurts to try!!! Wizz is correct (I hate to say that :lol: :wink: ) if you go at off peak times, you do have a good chance of getting in to a sit down.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Mon 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Amy wrote:
I do wonder how enforceable the practice will be? Since people can contest the charges, the companies might simply charge back the cost to Disney.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Oct Mon 07, 2013 3:07 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:
Amy wrote:
I do wonder how enforceable the practice will be? Since people can contest the charges, the companies might simply charge back the cost to Disney.
Whoa, I think I'm about to adopt a Wizz kind of mentality.... ooh scary.......

If there is a "cancellation policy" listed on the website or read by the operator taking the call for the ADR, wouldn't that negate the whole disputed charge thingamajig?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Mon 07, 2013 4:00 pm

In theory it could, but if the person who is being charged says any of the following:

The policy was not stated
The policy was not active when the reservations were made
or the catch all of "I never made the reservation"

Disney would not be able to disprove it, the other thing is that these are small charges so they may not be investigated on either side.

CURRYAUDIO
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by CURRYAUDIO » Oct Tue 08, 2013 8:56 pm

I think this is great. It will free up reservations that people make just in case and then the rest of us are not able to because of it.

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Oct Thu 31, 2013 6:14 pm

Disney has recently decided to delay the new cancellation policy for all restaurants. There is no new date yet when they will be implemented
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Thu 31, 2013 9:09 pm

Cardinals314 wrote:Disney has recently decided to delay the new cancellation policy for all restaurants. There is no new date yet when they will be implemented
Wonder why they delayed it?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Fri 01, 2013 1:06 am

The policy is live for some places already, right? Perhaps people are contesting the charges to the point that they need to revise language?

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Nov Fri 01, 2013 3:40 pm

Yeah, I think they'd spend more in fielding complaints from people who dispute the charge than if they just let it go. It's not like they're not going to fill the table with a walk-in within a few minutes. In fact, it'd probably be more effective to shorten the window where you are required to appear for the reservation.