Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

Post by Cardinals314 » Oct Wed 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Disney announced today that they will now be applying the policy to all table service restaurants at Walt Disney World. Guests will be required to provide a credit card for all table service reservations. The charge is $10 a person. For pre-paid locations, the entire amount will be charged. The policy goes into effect October 31st. Any reservaton made before October 31st will not have the cancallation fee policy. I personally don't mind this at all
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Zillerzap
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Re: Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

Post by Zillerzap » Oct Wed 02, 2013 2:02 pm

While I understand the reasoning, I also think it's unreasonable in most cases since you have to book months in advance in order to get a reservation. I find myself having to do ADR's before planning the remainder of the trip.

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Oct Wed 02, 2013 2:36 pm

I'm torn as well. It is tough for me to make reservations before the parks schedule is out. Plus, sometimes it is just a little scary to put your credit card number down a bunch of times when a trip to Disney (especially with small children) can be very unpredictable. Keeping track of everything....could be a bit overwhelming.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Wed 02, 2013 2:49 pm

I always wondered why they didn't charge a cancellation fee?! You could make a ton of ADR's and show for non or few of them, leaving people that really wanted to dine there, not able to. I'm o.k. with it!

GoldenBear
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by GoldenBear » Oct Wed 02, 2013 3:14 pm

I wonder how close to the date you are allowed to cancel without the fee?

Surely they can't expect 100% of the people to be at their reservations, especially when they are made months in advance Like it was mentioned above, many things can change over the course of that reservation time.

Hopefully it's just a scare tactic and there is a 48 or 72 hour grace period before the reservation, as it is with most hotels and restaurants.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Wed 02, 2013 3:39 pm

boilerbabe wrote:I always wondered why they didn't charge a cancellation fee?! You could make a ton of ADR's and show for non or few of them, leaving people that really wanted to dine there, not able to. I'm o.k. with it!
I wouldn't be surprised if people used that tactic since the large window made it an option. So they book several places each night for dinner, and then would decide where to go that night based on the time and what they were feeling like.

I would say switching to one where you could only book once you are on site might help, but it would probably still have the same issue of people being turned away. That and also not being able to plan staff/food needs far in advance.

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Oct Wed 02, 2013 5:50 pm

GoldenBear wrote:I wonder how close to the date you are allowed to cancel without the fee?

Surely they can't expect 100% of the people to be at their reservations, especially when they are made months in advance Like it was mentioned above, many things can change over the course of that reservation time.

Hopefully it's just a scare tactic and there is a 48 or 72 hour grace period before the reservation, as it is with most hotels and restaurants.

24 hours by what i have read, just enough time for the resort concierges to fill the tables with guests that did not know to set them up >180

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Oct Wed 02, 2013 8:11 pm

After thinking about this, I am now a bit split. I feel like it would be harder to have any walk-ups now to any restaurant. It seems that this is an attempt to save on labor as an exchange for having to beef up ranks in Guest Relations and front gate ops due to the roll-out of MM+. Anyway, how is it that Disney doesn't simply staff its restaurants based on crowds (like say UNI does and Disney used to) and since ADR's are NOT reservations, if someone doesn't show up within 15 minutes of their time, you simply replace them with a walk in and they move to the end of the line if they show up.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Wed 02, 2013 8:26 pm

In many cases, outside of Disney, "reservations" are also ADRs rather than true reserved tables, in most cases it is just bumping you up the list unless you are requesting a specific table. Disney still does take crowd levels into account, they now just added in reservation levels. Since sit-down establishments can only have so many seatings in a single time-span they also go by an estimate for how long each party will be there and when the park requires them to shut down for the night.

Are there places that are only open for dinner or close between lunch and dinner? I think V&A and California Grill might be, but not sure if any others, aside from dinner theater places, are.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Oct Thu 03, 2013 10:44 am

I'm torn on this too. I have benefited from both "overbooking" and trying to walk-up to have dinner. During my honeymoon, there were a few ADRs we made but later decided we'd rather stay in the park we were in or go somewhere else for dinner. It wasn't that we were trying to game the system, but rather that we had changed our minds between the 180 days prior when we booked the ADRs. Like I said...we've also benefited from being able to walk-up to a table service restaurant and were seated within 5 minutes of waiting. So I hope it ends up being more helpful than hurtful over time.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Oct Thu 03, 2013 10:45 am

dstrawn9889 wrote:
GoldenBear wrote:I wonder how close to the date you are allowed to cancel without the fee?

24 hours by what i have read, just enough time for the resort concierges to fill the tables with guests that did not know to set them up >180
That seems fair, plenty of lead time on both sides of the coin.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Oct Sun 06, 2013 7:20 pm

I thought they already did this? :? Or was it just for parties over a certain size?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Sun 06, 2013 7:38 pm

cy1229 wrote:I thought they already did this? :? Or was it just for parties over a certain size?
The only restaurants that I know of are the signatures ie. Flying Fish. They always required a credit card and cancellation notice. Now it sounds like all table services are going to this as well.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sun 06, 2013 7:49 pm

boilerbabe wrote:
cy1229 wrote:I thought they already did this? :? Or was it just for parties over a certain size?
The only restaurants that I know of are the signatures ie. Flying Fish. They always required a credit card and cancellation notice. Now it sounds like all table services are going to this as well.
Yup, they are expanding it. Must have worked well at the limited places they tried it...
I think it is a great idea as it might free up a table here or there for someone who wants to get a last minute ressie :D

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Oct Sun 06, 2013 9:25 pm

I could have SWORN that my stepdad had to give a credit card when he made our ADR's and didn't want to miss them AT ALL because he'd be charged $10 / person, $90 in total. That is one big fat bummer about ADR's, they do overlord your trip. But, try to get into a restaurant to eat where you want without one... Tres difficile!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016