Changed Operating Hours for Resort Pools

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Changed Operating Hours for Resort Pools

Post by Cardinals314 » Sep Thu 26, 2013 8:44 am

Starting September 29th, guests will be allowed to use the resort feature pools only when lifeguards are present. Quiet pools will not be affected by the change in policy and will continue to be open for 24 hours with no lifeguards.The roll-out begins with the value resorts and the plan is to have full implementation in November.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Boilerdude
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Re: Changed Operating Hours for Resort Pools

Post by Boilerdude » Sep Thu 26, 2013 8:58 am

I can't recall but I thought the quiet pools closed at 11pm or midnight. I remember something like that on the pool rules sign by the quiet pool at BWI. Those rules being enforced, a whole different topic.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Thu 26, 2013 11:31 am

We only pool it a few times per WDW trip, so I can't say this will effect us one way or the other?!

Zillerzap
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by Zillerzap » Sep Thu 26, 2013 11:51 am

I've had rooms by the pool at the Poly and it never was an issue. I don't recall seeing people swim after 11pm.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 26, 2013 12:25 pm

There were always a few people in the pool at the All Stars in the evenings, but not very many. I think that was mostly due to the time of year we were there though. Not a lot of people want to swim in December...even in Florida!

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Sharonofwindham » Sep Thu 26, 2013 3:43 pm

To me, it's hard to find time to swim at WDW, unless you have kids with you, then you make time :nemo:. Just too busy. So when I do it tends to be late at night. On my last trip, on our last night we stayed in the Luna Park pool at the Boardwalk until around 1am :shock:. Most of my stays here have been in rooms off the pool, and never been bothered by people swimming, nor would I complain if it did. We can't always control everything that takes place around us even though some people seem to try very hard to these days :roll: :x. Just like asking for rooms off the boardwalk itself because of the noise factor, you can also request a room on a top floor or away from the pool area. Disney to me is a 24 hr vacation, and you should be able to swim when you want. With that of course comes respect for others :mickey: Keep the noise down, and keep the kids under control!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Sharonofwindham wrote:To me, it's hard to find time to swim at WDW, unless you have kids with you, then you make time :nemo:. Just too busy. So when I do it tends to be late at night. On my last trip, on our last night we stayed in the Luna Park pool at the Boardwalk until around 1am :shock:. Most of my stays here have been in rooms off the pool, and never been bothered by people swimming, nor would I complain if it did. We can't always control everything that takes place around us even though some people seem to try very hard to these days :roll: :x. Just like asking for rooms off the boardwalk itself because of the noise factor, you can also request a room on a top floor or away from the pool area. Disney to me is a 24 hr vacation, and you should be able to swim when you want. With that of course comes respect for others :mickey: Keep the noise down, and keep the kids under control!
I think the only time we ever swam at WDW is when we were doing laundry so we had to stay kind of close to the machines. I would swim late at night but it is generally too cold when we are there in December. Plus I would rather spend the time in the parks, and if I'm in the parks late, I need to get to bed so I can get up early and get to the parks! :lol:

Polynesian Princess
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by Polynesian Princess » Sep Fri 27, 2013 9:38 am

I'm so upset about this change. My husband and I are night owls and swim every night after returning from whichever park has the evening EMH. We're often in the pool until at least 2 am. Part of what we enjoy is relaxing in the hot tub. It helps relax your sore muscles after being in the parks all day. If we skip the hot tub, I can tell my legs and feet are much more sore the next day.

People I've seen swimming late at night have been very quiet and respectful to the other guests. The noise level at isolated pools that are away from the rooms (Coronado Springs, POR) is a little bit higher than at pools close to the buildings (POFQ, Polynesian), but that's not a problem since it's not disturbing anyone. The one or two times (out of the many, many times we've gone swimming late at night) someone has gotten loud or rowdy, security was there within minutes and handled the situation.

I've wondered about the logic behind this change. If noise is the problem, many of the quiet pools are closer to the rooms than the feature pool. If safety is the problem, security and lack of lifeguard is the same at any pool. Perhaps they think sending people to the quiet pools will split people up so they will be quieter. I assume that most problems come from larger tour groups rather than families swimming together that don't know each other. If that is the problem, won't most groups go to the same quiet pool and act the same as they would in the feature pool?

I hate when rules are made that punish everyone for the stupidity of a few. If someone causes a problem, deal with that person. If they continue to cause problems, kick them off property.
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Sep Fri 27, 2013 10:04 am

it is not the noise, it is the liability. deep water pool have a possibility for drowning, but the shallower 'quiet' pools have a smaller liability. they do not want another near drowning to happen publicly on property, when there is no help at hand.

Polynesian Princess

Post by Polynesian Princess » Sep Fri 27, 2013 5:17 pm

The feature pool is not necessarily deeper than the quiet pools. I pulled the pool depths from this site: http://blog.touringplans.com/2013/05/22 ... ort-pools/

Hotels where the Quiet Pool is Deeper
Boardwalk Inn
Old Key West

Hotels where the Feature and Quiet Pools are the Same Depth
All Star Movies
Art of Animation
Grand Floridian
Polynesian
Pop Century
Saratoga Springs
Wildnerness Lodge

Hotels where there is no Quiet Pool
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Contemporary
Fort Wilderness
Port Orleans French Quarter
Port Orleans Riverside

Hotels where the Feature Pool is Deeper
All Star Music
All Star Sports
Beach/Yacht Club
Caribbean Beach
Coronado Springs

So all in all, this will only be "safer" at 4 resorts (Beach/Yacht Club already closes early anyways). I also haven't heard what happens at the hotels without a quiet pool - are those guests just out of luck if they want to swim late?
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Sep Fri 27, 2013 11:11 pm

Hotels with no quiet pool will not be able to swim late
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Sep Fri 27, 2013 11:20 pm

dstrawn9889 wrote:it is not the noise, it is the liability. deep water pool have a possibility for drowning, but the shallower 'quiet' pools have a smaller liability. they do not want another near drowning to happen publicly on property, when there is no help at hand.
I didn't hear about the near drowning :shock: :(

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Sep Fri 27, 2013 11:38 pm

It has always been, swim at your own risk, when there is no lifeguard present hasn't it? If not it should be. People shouldn't need to be babysat every minute. We need to take some responsibility for our own safety, and stop blaming others for our stupidity :x
Forgot about the hot tubs :shock:. Most people use them at night right? Maybe they're not included.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Sat 28, 2013 12:07 am

Because, if I recall, posted signs like that have the same legally binding standards that 300 page EULAs have, mainly that people's "agreement" isn't valid because of their forced placement.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Sat 28, 2013 11:25 am

I think it's silly, people should take responsibility for themselves!!!