Food and Wine 2013 Most Excited to Taste?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Boilerdude
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Re: Food and Wine 2013 Most Excited to Taste?

Post by Boilerdude » Sep Mon 02, 2013 9:16 pm

According to one of the chef's we did a tasting with, he said the food is chef inspired of that countries fare. He said they are given free reign to bring something simple to serve and yet keep to the countries cuisine. I would say a lot is far from "Panda Express" like, but there are some that tasted like they got from the frozen food aisle.
And being 1/2 Italian (Mom is from Italy) and 1/2 Indian (Dad is east Indian). Arguably some of the best food in the world, the food at the F&W fest, as a whole, does not disappoint.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Mon 02, 2013 10:58 pm

When I said Panda Express, I meant in the sense that it is as authentic to their culture as taco bell is to Mexican food. Similar but if served to natives, they probably wouldn't consider it their own food.

Boilerdude

Post by Boilerdude » Sep Tue 03, 2013 7:51 am

Speaking from experience, the Italian food is spot on, for the most part. Even my Mom was impressed. And my Dad being raised in Africa said the African food served was better than he had growing up there. I would imagine for the other countries it's not that far off base for a native to consider it their own.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Tue 03, 2013 12:15 pm

Boilerdude wrote:According to one of the chef's we did a tasting with, he said the food is chef inspired of that countries fare. He said they are given free reign to bring something simple to serve and yet keep to the countries cuisine. I would say a lot is far from "Panda Express" like, but there are some that tasted like they got from the frozen food aisle.
And being 1/2 Italian (Mom is from Italy) and 1/2 Indian (Dad is east Indian). Arguably some of the best food in the world, the food at the F&W fest, as a whole, does not disappoint.
Neat ~ thanks!
Wizzard419 wrote:When I said Panda Express, I meant in the sense that it is as authentic to their culture as taco bell is to Mexican food. Similar but if served to natives, they probably wouldn't consider it their own food.
Yeah, that is actually what I thought when I read your comment.
Boilerdude wrote:Speaking from experience, the Italian food is spot on, for the most part. Even my Mom was impressed. And my Dad being raised in Africa said the African food served was better than he had growing up there. I would imagine for the other countries it's not that far off base for a native to consider it their own.
Cool!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Tue 03, 2013 1:17 pm

Boilerdude wrote:Speaking from experience, the Italian food is spot on, for the most part. Even my Mom was impressed. And my Dad being raised in Africa said the African food served was better than he had growing up there. I would imagine for the other countries it's not that far off base for a native to consider it their own.
It isn't far off base but at the same time they won't serve, in many pavilions, traditional foods. You won't be seeing the very popular stinky tofu, menudo, lutefisk (ok, only old people in the Midwest eat that now, but it still sort of counts), goat meat, or bugs. Some of the foods are so off-putting to the US tastes that just the smell can turn people off.

Boilerdude

Post by Boilerdude » Sep Tue 03, 2013 1:54 pm

There is "main street" native food and growing up native food (usually to a specific area). No one in the Italy Pavillion is going to be busting out the eel dishes. But you're not missing out on a sampling of a country's cuisine. It's not meant to be an episode of No Reservations :lol:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Tue 03, 2013 2:13 pm

Yes, it is more, in his words, "TGI McFunsters". :D

At least I isn't Guy Fiere bad, that man has probably done as much harm to ethnical cultures as Columbus.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Tue 03, 2013 2:34 pm

According to some people I know in the UK, they complained the UK pavilion food wasn't authentic either. They said it was edible and tasted good, so it couldn't be from the UK... :wink: :lol:

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Tue 03, 2013 6:35 pm

I have nothing to add here until Disney puts Slovakia in the WS! :lol:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Tue 03, 2013 6:47 pm

Will it be paired with the cooler, more popular Czech Republic pavilion? :D

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Tue 03, 2013 7:55 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Will it be paired with the cooler, more popular Czech Republic pavilion? :D
Slovak is much cooler! :wink:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Tue 03, 2013 8:16 pm

boilerbabe wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:Will it be paired with the cooler, more popular Czech Republic pavilion? :D
Said no-one, ever... unless they are talking about the climate perhaps. :D

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Tue 03, 2013 9:13 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:
Said no-one, ever... unless they are talking about the climate perhaps. :D
I am 100% Slovak, grandparents were immigrants, so I beg to differ!!! :wink: The weather can be much like ours in Sborov, where my family is from.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Tue 03, 2013 9:34 pm

Hmmm... didn't Slovakia not exist until the 90's and they were owned by various other nations beforehand? :D This is also why there haven't been new additions to the world showcase, political changes. I am kind of surprised they didn't label the German pavilion as "West Germany".

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Tue 03, 2013 10:18 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Hmmm... didn't Slovakia not exist until the 90's and they were owned by various other nations beforehand? :D This is also why there haven't been new additions to the world showcase, political changes. I am kind of surprised they didn't label the German pavilion as "West Germany".
Correct, but the village my family is from is Slovakia. We are of Slovak decent, we are not Czech, there is a difference.