it lacks jeremy iron's ethereal magic and wonder or walter cronkite's gravitas

listening to judie dench you feel like you are getting a school lecture

snore

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Re: i'll say it again, i HATE judi dench spaceship earth

Post by theBIGyowski » Sep Wed 04, 2013 8:42 am

the main problem is not Dame Judi Dench...it's the horrible script she was given to read

I dare say Irons or Cronkite would have sounded just as dumb had they been forced to read her script.

You have different look-and-feels going on with each one of them as well. Cronkite was used because he had a familiar voice that people trusted...and it was very much an "informational" style. Irons has a soft and poetic voice...which made the attraction much more of a "reflective" look back on advances in communication. Dench has a light-hearted tone to her voice similar to David Attenborough...which works very well for happy narration. It's obvious that Siemens wanted to "lighten up" the attraction a bit with a new script and by using Dench. I think had the script been better written, most people wouldn't have a problem with Dench.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 04, 2013 8:47 am

theBIGyowski wrote:the main problem is not Dame Judi Dench...it's the horrible script she was given to read

I dare say Irons or Cronkite would have sounded just as dumb had they been forced to read her script.

You have different look-and-feels going on with each one of them as well. Cronkite was used because he had a familiar voice that people trusted...and it was very much an "informational" style. Irons has a soft and poetic voice...which made the attraction much more of a "reflective" look back on advances in communication. Dench has a light-hearted tone to her voice similar to David Attenborough...which works very well for happy narration. It's obvious that Siemens wanted to "lighten up" the attraction a bit with a new script and by using Dench. I think had the script been better written, most people wouldn't have a problem with Dench.
I agree, it is the script rather than the narrator. I am already looking forward to the next version though!

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Sep Wed 04, 2013 9:47 am

I think it's a combination of both script and the reader. The script is obviously not the best, but Dench's inflections at certain points just sound wrong. She reads the script too fast, almost tersely, which is off putting. Combined with her more light hearted tone it just sounds like someone trying to get through the script as fast as possible.

The change in script definitely made the attraction lose some of its grandeur, but it's surely also partly Dench's fault. A key example of it actually being the narrator is compare Dench to Irons in the "Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers." opening; it's the exact same line both use but Dench's reading is just very shallow sounding. And I guess that's what I'm ultimately feeling when I hear it- Irons' reading has depth while Dench's is just this shallow, hollow, reading.

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Sharonofwindham » Sep Wed 04, 2013 9:54 pm

When did the Judy Dench narration replace Jeremy Irons' ? The last time I rode was in Oct '04, and I don't remember who the narrator was then :?

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Sep Wed 04, 2013 11:08 pm

Her voice is too calming...almost puts me to sleep! lol
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Wed 04, 2013 11:18 pm

I don't mind her although I don't really remember the Jeremy Irons SSE. I will have to YouTube that one!

Boilerdude
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Boilerdude » Sep Thu 05, 2013 8:55 am

I don't mind her either. I'm too busy having a good time too care :D

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Sep Thu 05, 2013 9:01 am

Sharonofwindham wrote:When did the Judy Dench narration replace Jeremy Irons' ? The last time I rode was in Oct '04, and I don't remember who the narrator was then :?
The refurb done in 2007 changed a good bit in the attraction...which required a rewrite of the script. Seimens chose to have Dame Judi Dench do the narration. Just look it up on YouTube.

It's not really all that bad as the main things are the music and AAs...both of which are fantastic. The main gripe is the script...which is extremely light-hearted and sometimes borders on disrespectful. One example...after Rome burns you see that not all was lost because there were Jewish and Islamic scholars who had copies of a lot of the books and writings that were burned in Rome. The new version explains this as the "first backup system"...which is an odd way to say it.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Sep Thu 05, 2013 12:15 pm

I agree... the Dench version is a thumbs down! Her voice is annoying, the script is bad....
However, I love Spaceship Earth and will always continue to go on it. I have a good idea that I will try in a couple weeks, I will put in earphones as loud as I can with the Jeremy Irons version while I go through the ride! Do you think it'll work?? :shock:
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Sep Thu 05, 2013 3:52 pm

cousininmiami wrote:I agree... the Dench version is a thumbs down! Her voice is annoying, the script is bad....
However, I love Spaceship Earth and will always continue to go on it. I have a good idea that I will try in a couple weeks, I will put in earphones as loud as I can with the Jeremy Irons version while I go through the ride! Do you think it'll work?? :shock:
You can try...it depends on if they sped up or slowed down the attraction at all too.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Thu 05, 2013 4:18 pm

If you sliced up the version into the original sound cues and then just hit next track as you reached each scene, it would sort of work. But they also changed at least one scene with for the present version, right?

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Sep Thu 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:If you sliced up the version into the original sound cues and then just hit next track as you reached each scene, it would sort of work. But they also changed at least one scene with for the present version, right?
Yes...and I think the "theatre" scene from the Irons version was changed to a Greek scholar teaching math to some kids in the Dench version.

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Sep Thu 05, 2013 7:54 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:
cousininmiami wrote:I agree... the Dench version is a thumbs down! Her voice is annoying, the script is bad....
You can try...it depends on if they sped up or slowed down the attraction at all too.
I will report back on this in a couple weeks, I'm for sure trying it! My husband might think I'm crazy :shock: but I will take the risk for scientific Mouseka-purposes! :D
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Thu 05, 2013 8:19 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:If you sliced up the version into the original sound cues and then just hit next track as you reached each scene, it would sort of work. But they also changed at least one scene with for the present version, right?
Yes...and I think the "theatre" scene from the Irons version was changed to a Greek scholar teaching math to some kids in the Dench version.
Wasn't the Silicon valley scene where they had a guy that sort of looks like present day Woz, which looked nothing like 1980's Woz, added in as well?