Cold place in Epcot?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Cold place in Epcot?

Post by Amy » Aug Thu 15, 2013 9:02 pm

I'm still trying to place this as well. F1gment and I were just trying to remember. I know we went to her all class reunion in '88 and she thinks we went to WDW for a day or two. And then we didn't go back until '93 or '94. When did the Coke Club Cool open?

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Thu 15, 2013 10:06 pm

Club Cool opened in 2005 and Ice Station Cool opened circa 1998 though the signage makes it look like something from the 80's.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Fri 16, 2013 11:56 am

I was there during those years and don't remember it nor do I see anything in my pics. Boo!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Fri 16, 2013 1:15 pm

If you normally wouldn't take pictures of restaurants, you probably would have just thought it was another place to eat.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Fri 16, 2013 2:52 pm

I pay more attention to detail now than I did then.

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Aug Thu 22, 2013 6:48 pm

the original i believe was at the south end of communicore east, and then it moved to where the coke pav is now on the end of communicore west(innovations west). that is if my memory serves

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Sep Wed 04, 2013 11:29 am

I used to love going through there during our late August trips to enjoy the coolness of it.

If you can't tell from the pics it was exactly where Club Cool is now, but instead of entering directly into the sampling floor, there was a short tunnel that was very chilly and there would be snow and ice in it that they made. At the end of the tunnel was a room in similar layout to the current Club Cool but it was themed to fit the arctic station feel it had going on.

Given the above post about ice falling onto someone's head I'd imagine that was the driving factor in getting rid of the snow. I always wondered why they got rid of it but I'm sure that'd be a pretty good reason if chunks of ice were accumulating on the walls/ceiling and then falling. That stuff gets dangerous.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Sep Fri 06, 2013 7:05 am

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:I used to love going through there during our late August trips to enjoy the coolness of it.

If you can't tell from the pics it was exactly where Club Cool is now, but instead of entering directly into the sampling floor, there was a short tunnel that was very chilly and there would be snow and ice in it that they made. At the end of the tunnel was a room in similar layout to the current Club Cool but it was themed to fit the arctic station feel it had going on.

Given the above post about ice falling onto someone's head I'd imagine that was the driving factor in getting rid of the snow. I always wondered why they got rid of it but I'm sure that'd be a pretty good reason if chunks of ice were accumulating on the walls/ceiling and then falling. That stuff gets dangerous.
Few things would ruin a vacation more or be as bizarre as a chunk of ice falling on your head and giving you a concussion.... in FLORIDA!!

Thanks for the info, y'all. Hubby will be interested in it. Does anyone ever think the center of Futureworld needs something to draw people in? I wonder if this was the thing but for safety was closed.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » Sep Fri 06, 2013 7:35 am

need? like, say, a starbucks?

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Sep Fri 06, 2013 7:47 am

Not exactly what I meant. More of an attraction than a place to purchase overpriced dehydrating beverages. :D

I like Starbucks, too, don't get me wrong. I'm just not apt to spend my vacation money there because I can get it here at home.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

junebug1233
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by junebug1233 » Sep Fri 06, 2013 8:08 am

theBIGyowski wrote:I never knew there was actual snow either.

Here is a site that has pictures of the original Ice Station Cool...didn't see anything about snow there...maybe it was before that too.
Actually, if you look at the pictures in the link you posed, the caption for one says "Real snow would fill the tunnel." It appears from that picture that there is snow on the ground.

I vaguely remember there being snow. It wasn't like piles of fluffy snow, but it was more a product of the entry way being very cold I think.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Sep Fri 06, 2013 8:13 am

junebug1233 wrote:

Here is a site that has pictures of the original Ice Station Cool...didn't see anything about snow there...maybe it was before that too.
Actually, if you look at the pictures in the link you posed, the caption for one says "Real snow would fill the tunnel." It appears from that picture that there is snow on the ground.

I vaguely remember there being snow. It wasn't like piles of fluffy snow, but it was more a product of the entry way being very cold I think.
HA! You're right! I see the snow on the ground now. :)

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

junebug1233

Post by junebug1233 » Sep Fri 06, 2013 8:50 am

theBIGyowski wrote:
junebug1233 wrote:

HA! You're right! I see the snow on the ground now. :)
See, you solved the mystery and you didn't even know it!

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Sep Fri 06, 2013 8:55 am

I'm from MN - so I try to AVOID the cold and snow as much as possible! ;-)

But I do remember Club Cool. And there was some sort of cold misting happening I think? It is all very blurry to me, but I definitely have a recollection of it. Better in August than in December. :-)

GoldenBear
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by GoldenBear » Sep Fri 06, 2013 9:59 am

Belle1082 wrote:I'm from MN - so I try to AVOID the cold and snow as much as possible! ;-)

But I do remember Club Cool. And there was some sort of cold misting happening I think? It is all very blurry to me, but I definitely have a recollection of it. Better in August than in December. :-)
I remember the mist too, it was always one of my favorite places to stop before heading into World Showcase. :wink: