Cold place in Epcot?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

MetalRage
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Re: Cold place in Epcot?

Post by MetalRage » Sep Wed 11, 2013 9:12 pm

That place is great. I loved going in there! I wish I could right now......
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

Chernabog
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Chernabog » Sep Mon 16, 2013 3:36 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:no pun intended but it really was cool. I do however remember one day, when a big chunk of ice fell right onto my head and I was bleeding. It really hurt. The CM freaked right away but when he found out that I was a CM as well, he didn't seem to care so much. I was laughing as well until I realized I was bleeding under my hat once I was trying the sodas.
I guess this was reason #2 why they shut down. Ouch!
I liked this place for two reasons. It was a great place to cool off, which I am always looking for while in WDW. And you could sample some crazy foreign drinks, which was fun AND refreshing AND free!

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Sep Tue 17, 2013 5:14 pm

Not to sound like a negative Nellie........Snow is way overrated.......We plan our vacations to stay away from the snow....Glad that attraction is gone!!!!! :P :P :P :mrgreen: :goofy:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Tue 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Goofyfan wrote:Not to sound like a negative Nellie........Snow is way overrated.......We plan our vacations to stay away from the snow....Glad that attraction is gone!!!!! :P :P :P :mrgreen: :goofy:
I can see where it would be a draw for people that aren't from snow getting areas though. Plus it would be nice to have something that cold to escape to in the heat of summer! :D But yeah, if you live in the snow belt, you don't get too excited about it...

GoldenBear
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by GoldenBear » Sep Wed 18, 2013 8:49 am

Chernabog wrote:
yodiwan1 wrote:no pun intended but it really was cool. I do however remember one day, when a big chunk of ice fell right onto my head and I was bleeding. It really hurt. The CM freaked right away but when he found out that I was a CM as well, he didn't seem to care so much. I was laughing as well until I realized I was bleeding under my hat once I was trying the sodas.
I guess this was reason #2 why they shut down. Ouch!
I liked this place for two reasons. It was a great place to cool off, which I am always looking for while in WDW. And you could sample some crazy foreign drinks, which was fun AND refreshing AND free!
There is still a coca cola store that offers the free sodas from around the world, at least it was still there when I went last year.

Mr.ToadWildRider

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Sep Wed 18, 2013 9:08 am

cy1229 wrote: Thanks for the info, y'all. Hubby will be interested in it. Does anyone ever think the center of Futureworld needs something to draw people in? I wonder if this was the thing but for safety was closed.
I wouldn't say that the Ice Station was any more of a draw than Club Cool is to be honest. It was obviously....well....cooler than Club Cool (in both senses), but it wasn't like it drew people to it in the way something like Soarin' draws crowds over to that side of Future World.

If anything, the center of Futureworld is supposed to be dominated by Innoventions. However, while Innoventions does have some neat stuff, there's a lot of it that is sort of sub-standard Science Museum type stuff and a lot of things that are just giant, obvious ads for the sponsor.

There's also the Fountain of Nations right at the center but I think it's lost some of its draw. Probably because of how common funky fountains have become all over WDW/Orlando area.

Truth be told I'm kind of glad there's not some huge draw to the middle there as that'd just clog up walking paths and stuff I feel like.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 18, 2013 9:33 am

GoldenBear wrote:There is still a coca cola store that offers the free sodas from around the world, at least it was still there when I went last year.
Yes, it is called Club Cool now instead of Ice Station Cool and you can still try all the various forms of Coke from around the world.
Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:
cy1229 wrote: Thanks for the info, y'all. Hubby will be interested in it. Does anyone ever think the center of Futureworld needs something to draw people in? I wonder if this was the thing but for safety was closed.
I wouldn't say that the Ice Station was any more of a draw than Club Cool is to be honest. It was obviously....well....cooler than Club Cool (in both senses), but it wasn't like it drew people to it in the way something like Soarin' draws crowds over to that side of Future World.

If anything, the center of Futureworld is supposed to be dominated by Innoventions. However, while Innoventions does have some neat stuff, there's a lot of it that is sort of sub-standard Science Museum type stuff and a lot of things that are just giant, obvious ads for the sponsor.

There's also the Fountain of Nations right at the center but I think it's lost some of its draw. Probably because of how common funky fountains have become all over WDW/Orlando area.

Truth be told I'm kind of glad there's not some huge draw to the middle there as that'd just clog up walking paths and stuff I feel like.
I agree, it was more of a novelty, kind of like Club Cool is now. I would venture to say a lot of people walk right on by without knowing it is there. I don't know that the Fountain of Nations does as many shows any more either. It seems to me like there used to be fairly regular shows there with lights and music. We caught one show there after Illuminations on a recent trip, but it was just music and water, no special lighting that I can recall.

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Sep Wed 18, 2013 9:42 am

Amy wrote:
GoldenBear wrote:There is still a coca cola store that offers the free sodas from around the world, at least it was still there when I went last year.
Yes, it is called Club Cool now instead of Ice Station Cool and you can still try all the various forms of Coke from around the world.
Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:

I agree, it was more of a novelty, kind of like Club Cool is now. I would venture to say a lot of people walk right on by without knowing it is there. I don't know that the Fountain of Nations does as many shows any more either. It seems to me like there used to be fairly regular shows there with lights and music. We caught one show there after Illuminations on a recent trip, but it was just music and water, no special lighting that I can recall.
They have shows after Illuminations? I don't recall seeing those. Maybe I just assumed it was the ambient sound/fountains that are always playing in the background.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 18, 2013 9:49 pm

We did catch a Fountain of Nations show on the way out from Illuminations one evening. I think it was a good hour or so later as we stopped in Mexico on the way to visit the Three Caballeros ;)

MetalRage

Post by MetalRage » Sep Thu 19, 2013 1:52 am

Goofyfan wrote:Not to sound like a negative Nellie........Snow is way overrated.......We plan our vacations to stay away from the snow....Glad that attraction is gone!!!!! :P :P :P :mrgreen: :goofy:
Lol good point there! Although for a born and raised Floridian as myself, I still have yet to see actually snow! I've been up to Long Island, New York a good amount of times, but It never snowed! I'd love to see snow at least once even though I'm not a cold person.
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Sep Thu 19, 2013 9:47 am

Amy wrote:We did catch a Fountain of Nations show on the way out from Illuminations one evening. I think it was a good hour or so later as we stopped in Mexico on the way to visit the Three Caballeros ;)
Guess I have been missing out on the unofficial late magic hours!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 19, 2013 10:23 am

GoldenBear wrote:
Amy wrote:We did catch a Fountain of Nations show on the way out from Illuminations one evening. I think it was a good hour or so later as we stopped in Mexico on the way to visit the Three Caballeros ;)
Guess I have been missing out on the unofficial late magic hours!
:lol: We aren't the last ones in the parks, but we do like to stay and get our money's worth for the day ;)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Anybody else see where Club Cool is going to be getting some new flavors? Here is a link to the article on Chip & Co. ~ http://www.chipandco.com/club-cool-flav ... ng-176413/

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Mon 28, 2013 9:49 pm

:goofy_bounce: Thanks for posting Amy!!! I'm super excited to try these new flavors!

I'm not thrilled to see Beverly will be sticking around although, I know that will make Mdude happy! :lol: Bdude is Italian and hates the stuff!!! I guess it would be sad if it left, no more "Beverly Faces" then!?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Tue 29, 2013 7:01 am

boilerbabe wrote::goofy_bounce: Thanks for posting Amy!!! I'm super excited to try these new flavors!

I'm not thrilled to see Beverly will be sticking around although, I know that will make Mdude happy! :lol: Bdude is Italian and hates the stuff!!! I guess it would be sad if it left, no more "Beverly Faces" then!?
Yeah, I think they have to keep the Beverly!