Sinkhole Collapses Resort outside of WDW area

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Re: Sinkhole Collapses Resort outside of WDW area

Post by Sharonofwindham » Aug Mon 12, 2013 8:41 pm

So relieved everyone was OK, but how scary for those staying there. Glad Disney checks things out before they build. I read that it had been a very long time since this property had been tested, and they built anyway...crazy :shock:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Mon 12, 2013 9:29 pm

I did see this news blurb this morning. Hopefully everyone is ok. Florida is a lot of swampland so the sinkholes are disturbing, but not necessarily unexpected. I sincerely hope that the WDW planners were careful in their layouts ~
Wizzard419 wrote:Try not to think about the sinkhole in Epcot then. :D

The lake in front of the Odyssey restaurant apparently is a sinkhole, which is why that area is laid out weird.
Makes me want to rethink our always stopping at these restrooms!! :shock:
cy1229 wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:That's crazy! Hope everyone was o.k. Not long ago, a little boy was swallowed by a sink hole at the dunes, on Mt. Baldy! He did survive, thankfully.
Did you hear, they're going to bring seismologists and ground-penetrating radar (sonar? sound waves) to see what caused the cavity that sucked the kid in. It would be awesome if they figure that out, and can warn others if the danger exists elsewhere.
Hadn't heard that a sinkhole was the cause of this accident. It was pretty impressive that the little boy survived with no lasting injuries though.

BenB
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by BenB » Aug Tue 13, 2013 2:34 am

cy1229 wrote:I saw that this morning! What a mess, I hope no one was hurt! No one really ever knows how big a sink hole is going to get, do they? I wonder what causes them. Besides unstable soil, I mean. What causes the soil to destabilize?
The bedrock in Florida is limestone, which is porous and easily eroded by water. The subterranean water flows, the bedrock disappears, and down goes the earth on top. They're especially prevalent in Florida due to the weather patterns and several other factors.

The ridiculous thing is how unpredictable they are. In fact I read that a full geological analysis was done on the now-collapsed resort before it was built, just 15 years ago. There were no sinkholes then. Obviously that's changed...
Hoping to go back to the Magic soon.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Aug Tue 13, 2013 7:28 am

Sinkholes are just something that we deal with here in Florida. We are basically floating here in this state... when we had a well drilled a few years ago for our sprinkler system, about 4 feet down they hit water! Our well goes down 15 feet however to get nice clear water from the Aquafer. Also part of my homeowners insurance deals with sinkholes!

But I wouldn't worry about anything happening like that at WDW, they are pretty smart cookies! Funny story about The Odyssey, it makes sense!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Aug Tue 13, 2013 7:58 am

BenB wrote:
cy1229 wrote:I saw that this morning! What a mess, I hope no one was hurt! No one really ever knows how big a sink hole is going to get, do they? I wonder what causes them. Besides unstable soil, I mean. What causes the soil to destabilize?
The bedrock in Florida is limestone, which is porous and easily eroded by water. The subterranean water flows, the bedrock disappears, and down goes the earth on top. They're especially prevalent in Florida due to the weather patterns and several other factors.

The ridiculous thing is how unpredictable they are. In fact I read that a full geological analysis was done on the now-collapsed resort before it was built, just 15 years ago. There were no sinkholes then. Obviously that's changed...
That's interesting because the bedrock in Indiana is mostly limestone, too. So perhaps it has more to do with a high water table and not the stone? Our water table averages 25 ft. here, whereas it's much higher in Florida.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Tue 13, 2013 10:25 am

Sadly I think this resort collapse is not an uncommon thing for Florida. The damage is high, but at least nobody was injured.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mills10
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by mills10 » Aug Tue 13, 2013 11:53 am

The sinkhole that just happened at was about 2 miles from where I live! A guard was able to evacuate the building when it started so nobody was hurt!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 14, 2013 1:20 pm

mills10 wrote:The sinkhole that just happened at was about 2 miles from where I live! A guard was able to evacuate the building when it started so nobody was hurt!
That is great that everyone was out and not injured! Glad you are ok as well :D

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Aug Thu 22, 2013 6:53 pm

cousininmiami wrote:Sinkholes are just something that we deal with here in Florida. We are basically floating here in this state... when we had a well drilled a few years ago for our sprinkler system, about 4 feet down they hit water! Our well goes down 15 feet however to get nice clear water from the Aquafer. Also part of my homeowners insurance deals with sinkholes!

But I wouldn't worry about anything happening like that at WDW, they are pretty smart cookies! Funny story about The Odyssey, it makes sense!
ummmm.... HORIZONS?

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Aug Fri 23, 2013 11:13 am

Was Horizon's on a sinkhole? :shock:
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » Aug Fri 23, 2013 4:41 pm

cousininmiami wrote:Was Horizon's on a sinkhole? :shock:
from what i remember, the reason the building had to come down was that one corner of the building was subsiding into a sinkhole... im gonna have to check it out though

wikipedia -- (which means take it with a grain of salt) On January 9, 1999, Horizons closed permanently.
No reason was publicly given, but the lack of corporate sponsorship probably played a large part in the decision. It is also claimed that a reason for the attraction closing was major structural problems (a large marshland sink-hole underneath the structure which emerged in 1998), along with problems with the roof. The building was claimed to have been close to collapsing under its own weight.[4]

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Fri 23, 2013 8:08 pm

dstrawn9889 wrote:
cousininmiami wrote:Was Horizon's on a sinkhole? :shock:
from what i remember, the reason the building had to come down was that one corner of the building was subsiding into a sinkhole... im gonna have to check it out though

wikipedia -- (which means take it with a grain of salt) On January 9, 1999, Horizons closed permanently.
No reason was publicly given, but the lack of corporate sponsorship probably played a large part in the decision. It is also claimed that a reason for the attraction closing was major structural problems (a large marshland sink-hole underneath the structure which emerged in 1998), along with problems with the roof. The building was claimed to have been close to collapsing under its own weight.[4]
Hmmm, what would they have had to do to the underlying property in order to build Mission Space there then? Can you completely fill in a sinkhole?

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sat 24, 2013 11:21 am

They did add a bunch of concrete for the foundation (to support the ride mechanisms) which can also fill in the possible sinkhole.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sat 24, 2013 2:59 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:They did add a bunch of concrete for the foundation (to support the ride mechanisms) which can also fill in the possible sinkhole.
I would be worried about a collapse around the former sinkhole site. Hmm, hope they filled it in enough!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sat 24, 2013 3:58 pm

My guess is the sinkhole doesn't actually exist, they might be confusing the sinkhole with the real one mentioned earlier. I am not 100% sure you could get permits to build a new structure on a known sinkhole, regardless of efforts to remedy the issue.

Disney may get the false reputation for being cheap with building (which they are not, they spend based on frequency of guest visits) but in this case they would probably just move the footprint for the ride outside of the danger zone, like they did before. It would be kind of clunky, but that beats having to shut down a ride and possibly damaging the mechanisms.